TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bloodborne [SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by MrDuck View Post
    By the way, your general thoughts on the boss fights? Hardest? Easiest? Favorite?
    Well, I haven't played the game, just watched walkthroughs and streams, but Micolash is not only my favorite BB boss, but possibly my favorite in the whole souls series. That dude is just so out there with the crazy dialogue and that voice acting (including the delirious the howling), having the looks as well with wearing the local Xanthous Crown equivalent. I love it. Needless to say, most of the things he says or does has become a meme in the community by now (example: the comments here).

El Shagmeister

Dude, you need to get this game.

Seriously.

<3

MrDuck, do I already have you in my list of PS4 friends? If not, what's your handle?

Anyway, I'm now in the Forbidden Woods (which I keep thinking of as Forbidden Forest due to half-buried memories of an ancient C-64 game). I'm definitely finding it more difficult to find my way around here than in the more claustrophobic urban environments, but so far I haven't run into anything I can't handle. (I'm sure there won't be any surprise new enemies that will kill me until I weep, and then they'll kill me some more.) Can I just say that I hate poison, frenzy and the like in these games? Not an effect I find particularly enjoyable, not even in a masochistic, oh-god-I'm-gonna-die way.

I'm kinda curious about going back to Dark Souls (either one) at some point and trying a more offensive build, having learnt to do without a shield thanks to Bloodborne. After all, I've got so much spare time on my hands...

El Shagmeister

Wuigi (I think)

Or Wuigi69.

Derp...

Just defeated the Abhorrent Beast as the last boss of the Ailing Loran chalice dungeon. Judging by the amount of deaths I had against him this guy is a serious contender for the position of hardest boss I've fought so far.

I actually had him to just a few percent of health while poisoned on one of my early attempts. If only I'd survived for about 10 seconds longer he would have been dead. In fact he came extremely close to dying from the poison just during the time the "YOU DIED" screen was showing.

The next chalice dungeon I will be attempting will be the Defiled chalice dungeon BTW as I managed to collect the necessary bastard of Loran for the ritual.

Just beat Ebrietas. My first attempt went pretty well, got her down to very low health before getting one shotted by her laser show. My 2nd, 3rd and 4th attempts were absolutely pathetic (I'm not counting the one time I died by falling down the elevator shaft). My 5th attempt went very well but got one shotted again as on my 1st attempt. On the 6th attempt I was victorious (I even got in a visceral attack).

Also I lost a ridiculous amount of insight to those damned brain suckers in upper cathedral ward (went from about 46 to 28). Definitely one of the most annoying enemies in my opinion.

First time I was fighting a werewolf and had just dealt the killing blow when one of these guys shows up from behind a corner and hits me with a paralyzation before I can react. I survive with about 20% health but just before I can roll away and heal or do anything for that matter he hits me with another paralyzation just as I'm standing up and kills me (4 insight down the drain).

At first boss of the defiled chalice dungeon now and that guy (Keeper of the Old Lords) is just ridiculous now. He's so fast and almost all of his attacks one shot me with the heavily reduced health I have from the dungeon being cursed.

I managed to get his health down to about 20% twice now before getting one shotted (once by cheesing him using the pillars and the second time by interrupting his sword attacks using the blunderbuss and doing visceral attacks) but that's about it.

Edit:
    Just finished my first Bloodborne playthrough. Defeated Gehrmann on my second try (almost had him on my first but got distracted by a phone call in the middle of the fight) and moon presence on my first.
    Last edited by salass00; 14th May 2015 at 05:48.

El Shagmeister

Damn...

Took me a bit to kill those two

Level 10,000 achieved
    When I finally have a heart attack, chance are it'll be caused by one of these Souls games. Update time! Started playing Bloodborne again and commenced having A BAD TIME pretty much right away. Nightmare of Mensis' invasions drove me into offline mode. And the SPIDER ROOM was almost enough to make me give up on the game altogether. Last night I decided to force myself through it anyway, and a couple of stiff drinks held the arachnophobia at bay while I forged through. Some pretty cool stuff after that though. I enjoyed fighting these guys:

And the 2 following boss fights were pretty cool as well. I'm at the end now, I believe. That last boss is tough.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I figured I'd give the final boss a few more tries tonight, and ended up winning! Being very aggressive and making liberal use of the blunderbuss turned out to be a good strategy. Also used the Lead Elixirs I'd been saving up throughout the game, but never really intending to use.

Welp, that's that!

Good game.

El Shagmeister

Did you fight Gehrman?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I did, then I took his place, which is apparently the bad ending, as I learned from watching fungo's Bloodborne Lore videos.

As much as I'm enjoying the game, I think that the difficulty is a bit all over the place, especially with respect to the bosses. There have been some really difficult ones, but by and large I've managed these guys in one or two tries, which was unheard of in the Souls games. Perhaps I'm just getting better at From games, but my impression is that there are more bosses that are comparably easy to beat.

El Shagmeister

I hear ya, Thirith. Though in Dark Souls 2 there were plenty of bosses I killed on my 1st or 2nd try, so maybe we are getting good, eh?

:3

Henke - Aw :'(

My mistake with Dark Souls 2 was that it was the first time I really discovered co-op (my PS3 had connectivity issues, so I never did co-op in Demon's Souls, and with Dark Souls I just didn't think of it), so I did most bosses in co-op. Good fun, but it allowed me to be lazy with respect to getting good at that aspect of the game. I've only done co-op for two Bloodborne bosses so far, I think: the old dude on the roof and Father Gascoigne.

Just started on NG+ and defeated first three bosses on my first try (Cleric Beast, Father Gascoigne and Vicar Amelia).

The Father Gascoigne fight was just stun, visceral attack, stun, visceral attack using my blunderbuss until he was in his beast form and then some charged melee attacks to put him out of his misery.

For Vicar Amelia I spammed numbing mist (used 8/10 of them) so that she was never able to heal herself during the fight.

I killed Mergo's Wet Nurse yesterday - and now I'll wait for the DLC, which may not be easily playable if I were to start a NG+. The chalice dungeons never really grabbed me, and I'm not too unhappy to take a break from Bloodborne, but I'm looking forward to revisiting the world and exploring new, handcrafted locations. That's also my main issue with the chalice dungeons: I like the gameplay of Bloodborne, but take away the interesting environments and I'm much less engaged.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I've watched parts of some LPs, and it turns out there's a lot of areas I've completely missed! Started up a new character this morning. Went with skill and the Threaded Cane last playthrough, this one I'm going with strength and the Kirkhammer.

Level 10,000 achieved
    The Executioners in Hemwick Charnel Lane are so much easier with the Kirkhammer. Three big swings and they're down! And to think I had such trouble with them last playthrough, when I was exclusively using the Threaded Cane. The dogs just after them are kicking my ass instead tho, so I had to purchase a cane and use the chain mode to take care of them. Nice that the different weapons have such pronounced strengths and weaknesses.

Also I love the third swing when using the Kirkhammer sword. First it slashes left, then right, then from the top and to the right again! It's so unexpected and cool looking.

El Shagmeister

NG+ beat with all bosses solo'd! That was fun, though I still need to finish the chalice dungeons. I somehow get a feeling that Bloodborne is easier than Dark Souls 2, or at least feels more balanced with the fighting style. Whatcha guys think?

This time I went for the second ending, so I only fought Gehrman. Still died several times in that battle 'cuz of course I did. In my defense I got a groove quicker this time and managed to land several visceral attacks on our last fight.

I also found other items that I was missing from my first playthrough (I was actually pretty thorough that first time), including the rune for completing Eileen's quest. That Bloody Crow of Cainhurst was tough, but got'em on the third time.

Man, Hidetaka is THE MAN. I can't wait to see Dark Souls 3 with him back at the helm, plus with what he learned from both the Souls games and Bloodborne.

Whoohoo, finally getting a chance to play this again for the first time since April. Interestingly enough while I had only just reached the Cleric Beast last time and got minced by him at least a half a dozen times, I breezed through him on my first try this time. Not sure if the recent patches downgraded his difficulty or I just went about it the wrong way but I'm much better at this game in general so far. That said I'm currently trying to beat the sniper in Old Yarnham in a duel but failing miserably. I'll probably leave that battle for later if I don't beat him on my next try. Love the atmosphere in this level.

Speaking of which, while this is one of the best looking games I've ever played it could do with a tad more variety in the types of settings. Maybe this comes later. Anyway, loving this.

I just beat the NG+ Shadows of Yharnam on my 3rd attempt.

Rather than focusing on the fireball guy first I found the fight went a lot easier this time if I took out the sword wielding guys first by using visceral attacks and left the fireball guy for last. His thrown fireballs are easy enough to dodge and he's a real pushover in melee when left alone. I just kept doing charged attacks and he never got a chance to do anything.

First time I did this fight with not a single giant snake popping out of the ground.

Just defeated NG+ Rom on my 5th attempt.

Unlike my first time through this time I actually killed all of the small Roms before taking on the main boss and I used the shorter form of the axe for the entire fight for its better attack speed. The small Roms all died in 1-2 hits as I attacked their vulnerable backsides.

My character is now at SL 119 BTW (levelling cost is about ~90k blood echoes).

NG+ Amygdala actually proved to be more of a problem for me this run than Rom (I estimate it took about ~8 attempts). My main problem was that I kept trying to use the same strategy for its last phase (the one where its ripped of two of its own appendages to use as clubs) as was working on its first phases.

Once it goes into its last phase I found that it simply doesn't work any more to try to go for attacks on its head as it never lets its head down for long enough for you to reliably get any hits in. At this point in the fight it is much more effective to simply go for its legs and use charged attacks.

I didn't find ol spidey to be too bad really, although I did use the summonable NPC closest to the lamp. While it took me three attempts, I almost beat him solo on my first try only to be one-shotted by one of his roaming spiders. I actually found those despicable fly beasts along the way to be one of the most annoying and deadly mobs in the game so far. Fighting one of these is generally ok but with two any slight mistake inevitably results in catastrophe. I had a similar experience with those spider beasts in Cainhurst.

Currently battling my through the Nightmare Frontier. Any tips for getting past the giants and poison lake? I've avoided using any walkthroughs so far.