TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: how to turn on a candle?

how to turn on a candle?

how can i turn on/off a candle with fire or a torch?

Zombified
    the TFix interactive candle setup would allow you to do that. in case your head is imploding when reading the whole thing, the short version without all the fancy stuff would be;

-set the candle concrete up with a fitting animlight
    -create a particle system that will represent the flame, and particleattach it to the candle concrete (I was using a smaller version of the torch yellow flame, archetype -4777)
    -add tweq/models (halt: stop tweq, and use the candle model name for model 0 and model 5) to the candle archetype
    -add the Extinguishable script to the candle archetype

this will make the candles work just like torches - extinguish with water/gas stim, and relight with firestim. it's also fairly easy to use NVscript to make sure the light goes off when you pick up a loot candle, but snuffing (=extinguish by frobbing) is one gigantic pita you probably want to avoid.

//adding the dml code for a loot candle that extinguishes itself when picked up (using TG archetype -1964 as example), so its light will be turned off when it is removed from the world (not part of the current TFix candle setup, as I'm using snuffing):
    Code:
    +ObjProp -1964 "Scripts"
    {
    	"Script 0" Extinguishable
    	"Script 1" NVRelayTrap
    	"Script 2" ""
    	"Script 3" ""
    	"Don't Inherit" false
    }
    +ObjProp -1964 "DesignNote"
    {
    	"" NVRelayTrapOn="FrobWorldBegin"; NVRelayTrapTDest="[Me]"; NVRelayTrapTOn="[1.0]WaterStim";
    }
    +ObjProp -1964 "CfgTweqModels"
    {
    	"Halt" Stop Tweq
    	"Rate" 0
    	"Model 0" trcandle
    	"Model 5" trcandle
    }
    Last edited by voodoo47; 24th Apr 2015 at 07:52.

This is not working for me, i even tried to turn off a torch gas light, but i can only make it to turn on.

Zombified
    tell me what exactly you are trying to do (what objects, what effects), and/or provide a test mission, pretty sure I can get it working.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    tell me what exactly you are trying to do (what objects, what effects), and/or provide a test mission, pretty sure I can get it working.
    Alright, here´s what i would like to do :

have you played tomb raider 4(last revelation?) the snake puzzle in the level lost library? there are 7 snakes to turn on, each snake is connected to two snakes,

My intention is to place 7 candles in a dinning room, turn them on against clockwise, and link them to a require all trap and have this require all trap connect to a door.

Also is it possible for example to make fireplaces appear when frobing a switch or a button?

I would be very grateful if you could set this for me, i won´t forget to mention you in the credits.

Zombified
    ouch, me and my big mouth - wasn't expecting something so specific. if it's just needing to (frob) light up all candles to open a door, then I know how to do that, but requiring a specific order is probably beyond my current capability.

do you also need the candles to turn off upon second frob? also, I don't think the fireplaces can be relit, not without heavy modifications.

ouch, me and my big mouth - wasn't expecting something so specific. if it's just needing to (frob) light up all candles to open a door, then I know how to do that, but requiring a specific order is probably beyond my current capability.

do you also need the candles to turn off upon second frob? also, I don't think the fireplaces can be relit, not without heavy modifications.
    ok, then how about just turn on/off lights?

Extinguishable
    gen.osm 1/G/2 A derivative of AnimLight. Manages a model tweq that is active when the light is on, and halts at Model 5 when turned off. Makes the object suspicious or not accordingly. Responds to WaterStim and KOGas by turning off the light. FireStim will turn the light on.
    Anything with Extinguishable can be turned on with Fire and off with Water and Gas (from a light point of view). But what about the particles? Well, if they have the Extinguishable script instead of the host object (candle, fire logs, torch, etc.) then they should work as expected.

So here is something for you to try and experiment with: Create a set of particles (small flame through raging bonfire) archetypes and give each Extinguishable with the Animlight settings appropriate to the size of the flames. Then create your host object archetypes with your flame archetypes ParticleAttached. Ideally your host object models should have vhot(s) on them to aid with the correct positioning of the flames when you make your concrete objects, but that's up to you. Now test them out to see what works.

If you prefer to have the Extinguishable script on the host object, you can do that too, just CD link the concrete host object to the concrete particles and that should work too. Try it.

Alright, i got it working, just saw how Sensut did in his mission "Better off dead"

how can i make the candle to turn on only, i mean to be frobed only once?

Zombified
    slap the frobInert metaprop on it after the first frob.

slap the frobInert metaprop on it after the first frob.
    how do i do that?

Zombified
    use NVMetaTrap (add it as script to the object) to set it upon frob (FrobWorldEnd. FrobWorldBegin should also work, pick whichever you think looks better).

Code:
    NVMetaTrapOn="FrobWorldEnd"; NVMetaTrapMeta="FrobInert";

thanks voodoo47, i thought there was another way to do this without nvtraps

Zombified
    there probably is, but it won't be as easy. maybe some sort of receptron setup.

there probably is, but it won't be as easy. maybe some sort of receptron setup.
    yes that´s it! good idea i tried with receptrons and it worked