TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213

Thread: Top Games Ever For Various Categories

Southquarter.com/fms
    Not sure what's up with that RPS list - from 2016, they only list 6 games, including American Truck Simulator and two games I've never even heard of (Stick Shift and Devil Daggers), and then leave out Inside, Fallout 4, Firewatch, The Witness, Dishonored 2, Soma, Life Is Strange, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dark Souls 3, and Deus Ex MD.

I'm not saying all those games should be on there, but some of them should be.

There's no accounting for good taste I guess!

Moderator and Priest
    Leaving Firewatch, and Soma (and maybe Life Is Strange, though I haven't played much of it yet) off the list is criminal. But the rest? The majority of them are sequels to games that have been honored previously, and don't greatly stray from the base formula of their forebearers. Manky and DS3 aren't vastly different from Human Revolution or DS1, acting more as a continuation of what made those two games so great to begin with, rather than being something entirely new.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    Just goes to show how much you actually paid attention to them...

Well I did, but with them not being numbered it was easier to accidentally double click on the button and thus not realise that I'd skipped some.

I'd also note that the list did not imo have enough 80s in there, without which many of the games we have today would not exist. If your going to say "of all time" then more respect for that devade would have been good to see.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Not sure what's up with that RPS list - from 2016, they only list 6 games, including American Truck Simulator and two games I've never even heard of (Stick Shift and Devil Daggers)
    I've never played any of Stick Shift-dev Robert Yang's games, but I won't be surprised it they're shown in museums in 100 years. Devil Daggers is a game I suspect may have been developed by the actual Satan. I like that RPS went beyond the expected with their picks. IIRC Cradle hadn't gotten very much praise upon release, but seeing Pip and Adam praise it makes me think I should pick it up at some point.

Administrator
    That said there's nothing to be gained by getting annoyed at "The best X ever lists". Everyone's best ever lists are often influenced by nostalgia or what games one ended up playing, or what your tastes are. You can have strong feelings for games that were in retrospect, a bit crap.

Like this thing on a Vic 20 I played when I was 5 or 6:

Won't ever forget it but it's a bit crap...

River Raid. COME ON!!!!.

That game was the shit when I was 5.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by scumble View Post
    That said there's nothing to be gained by getting annoyed at "The best X ever lists". Everyone's best ever lists are often influenced by nostalgia or what games one ended up playing, or what your tastes are. You can have strong feelings for games that were in retrospect, a bit crap.
    I get that, it's like reading a movie review, it's just one guy's opinion. But when a prominent web site puts out a list of "Best Games of All Time" you don't really expect it to be "Best Games Most People Have Never Played" or "Here's A Cool List of Games People On Our Staff Really Like." Ya know?

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    River Raid. COME ON!!!!.
    H.E.R.O was better, especially on the 800XL. :crossed arms:

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I get that, it's like reading a movie review, it's just one guy's opinion. But when a prominent web site puts out a list of "Best Games of All Time" you don't really expect it to be "Best Games Most People Have Never Played" or "Here's A Cool List of Games People On Our Staff Really Like." Ya know?
    Mmm, yeah. "Our favourite PC games" would be a more accurate title. Since no one person has played every game, for an actual "Best Games Ever" list you'd need a much more rigorous selection-system and more work put in. Perhaps something like:

1. A panel of judges pick their favourite games
    2. The top 50 games are compiled into a list
    3. Every judge is required to play every game on the list that they haven't played yet
    4. Votes are cast on the list of 50 games, resulting in a final top 10 list.

Of course that system isn't perfect either since the initial selection-process is limited to games that the judges are familiar with previously. What if the actual best game ever is some obscure C64 title that was only ever distributed in Greece in the 80's?

Or maybe the best way to figure out the best games is to cut out human ranking altogether and rely on cold, hard numbercrunching of things like the all-time metacritic ranking for best PC games.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Or maybe the best way to figure out the best games is to cut out human ranking altogether and rely on cold, hard numbercrunching of things like the all-time metacritic ranking for best PC games.
    That is generally a more satisfying list, but there are still some glaring errors and omissions. Is Anachronox really only the 1,364th best PC game of all-time? Are there really 955 better PC games than Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines? Is Doom 3 really a better game than Thief II? I think the answer to all those is: clearly not.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Might be cool to make our own TTLG Best Games of All Time list. Sticky and update it yearly.

Sounds good to me.

Best games get enough spotlight as it is. How about a modern underdogs list with a cut-off date of when HotU went belly up (2009). You could even have a top dogs list for the best underdogs.

Moderator and Priest
    I'd support making a sticky of best games as determined by the TTLG Collective. They don't necessarily have to be big AAA releases. Just anything anyone thinks is good.

If it would update based on voting that'd be good.

Administrator
    There isn't an automated way to do that on the forum software - I have a suspicion there may be an external site we can use to collect the information, but I haven't got time to research it. Any suggestions?

Level 10,000 achieved
    The Polygon top 500 list reaches the top 100. The #1 spot was surprising, but also makes a lot of sense. It's the only videogame my mom has ever been really into. Who doesn't love Tetris?

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Who doesn't love Tetris?
    That pick actually makes sense for #1 game of all time. Most other picks would be either a lot more subjective or just plain pandering to a specific audience (or advertiser).

That Polygon list is highly lolwut. Gotta commend them on being the only place that has probably ever rated Deadly Shadows higher than Thief or Deus Ex.

Edit: Vampire Redemption at 132 but no mention of Bloodlines? That's either massive trolling, or a legitimate error in the voting system.
    Last edited by Jason Moyer; 4th Dec 2017 at 06:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Edit: Vampire Redemption at 132 but no mention of Bloodlines? That's either massive trolling, or a legitimate error in the voting system.
    Or people not knowing the difference and thinking Redemption is Bloodlines.

Level 10,000 achieved
    The Polygon list gave me a hankerin' for some Tetris!

https://tetris.com/play-tetris

Highscore: 51,239! Level 8, baby!