TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Games Ever For Various Categories

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    If you wanna be cynical you might argue that anything any gaming site writes is just to get ad revenue.
    The content at RPS has always been good (for the most part), but I don't think it's cynical to suggest that the otherwise-pointless (and very user-unfriendly) move of splitting their articles across multiple pages is anything other than an attempt to get more money from adverts. Which is their prerogative of course, and a fairly inconsequential move to lots of people, I think; but it made me stop reading the site entirely. (And on the few occasions I've ended up there since, the situation seems to have gotten worse.) I'm sure the quality of the writing is still high, but they went and made it sufficiently irritating to read that it breached my "not enough free time to waste it on things that annoy me" threshold. (I think I'd been waiting for an excuse to stop reading RPS ever since their daily output exceeded my ability to keep up with it, mind... I liked it a lot more when they didn't write so much.)

(edit: It's always nice to read a Tim Stone article, though... paging aside, I'm quite happy to have ended up at one of those :)

Level 10,000 achieved
    Even if they split it up just to get more ad revenue from it, can you really blame them? Look at the amount of writing on just one of those pages. Disagree with the lists if you will, but you can't deny that a lot of thought and hard work went into compiling them. And all that thought and work takes time. And the money to pay the writers for all that time has to come from somewhere. Expecting RPS to provide articles of this size for the same amount of ad revenue they'd get from a single-page news story is unrealistic. And hating on them for doing so is rather petty.

SS2 counts as an FPS. I'd argue that "hybrid" games in which the core gameplay is based on FPS Mechanics(like Fallout 3/NV and SS2) are close enough to count.

Also I'd add MechWarrior 2 to the sim list.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    And now add the top 50 RPGs to this series of lists.
    Dungeon Master is 49th, Betrayal at Krondor is 39th, while Morrowind got the 4th place, fuck this shit already

I agree with Dark Souls though.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, my big disagreement is the low placement of Dungeon Master. I wouldn't be so noisy if it placed above Grimrock 2, but to place it below is to show a complete ignorance of DM's better designed and more robust systems. Sure, Grimrock and its sequel may be prettier, but their RPG systems are primitive by comparison. Character development in DM to this day is still the benchmark by which I judge games with no set classes.
    AND YOU CAN'T KILL MONSTERS BY SLAMMING DOORS ON THEIR HEADS IN GRIMROCK.

Ctrl-F...Bard...0 of 0
    Ctrl-F...Dragon Wars...0 of 0

Pass.

Chakat sex pillow
    They got Ultima VII, VtM:B, BG2, PS:T and a bunch of other things in there like SS2 and Deus Ex, so it's at least hitting the right populist notes in the wrong order this time, instead of being just embarrassingly tone-deaf and ridiculous throughout.

RPS gonna RPS

Is Ultima VII really that amazing? I mostly remember the series from the Apple ][ days, and they didn't do much for me.

Chakat sex pillow
    It was back in the day. Probably still is, though my biases won't let me do an objective assessment. The combat will forever be... clumsy, to put not too fine a point on it, but the world building and writing were leaps and bounds ahead of anything at the time. The writing's still good, your companions are great, there's a magic carpet with chairs on it, a three-headed hydra that makes fun of the conversation system, a half-naked fairy on a hidden island that throws glitterdust around and keeps kissing you and the rest of the party for no reason, and you can put people that irritate you in your backpack if you enable the hackmover. You also eventually learn a spell that lets you end the world whenever you want to, then walk around and see what you've wrought, and get told off by Lord British (and a few surprising other people who're immortal) for being a massive dick. Then, if you feel like it, you can kill Lord British by clicking on a plaque when he walks under it.

It's the greatest RPG I've ever played.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 15th Jul 2015 at 02:11.

For my money, Ultima VII still does the best job of creating a living, breathing, believable world. Britannia's design, its various towns and communities, the NPC schedules, it all comes together so well. That's also one of the reasons why I didn't really warm to Divinity: Original Sin: they had the world interactivity, but I never once believed in the world, because it's just not coherent.

What I also loved about the Ultima games: how the world developed from U4 to U7, both as a world and in technical terms. Each time it felt like revisiting the same place, but it's a few dozen years later, so it's not entirely the same. Villages grow into towns, towns change to cities, you meet the children and grandchildren of characters you met before. Origin Systems used the tagline "We create worlds!", and they definitely did.

Also, the Ultima spinoff Martian Dreams is the best Jules Vernes-inspired game out there, and its mix of historical characters is inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Is Ultima VII really that amazing?
    Yes.

http://www.mobygames.com/featured_ar...1/section,217/

"I want Ultima 7 to be rediscovered amongst the RPG crowd - designers and players. When it comes to the social aspect of it, U7's world is the most realistic game world out there. It is not realistic because its lore is so complicated (Morrowind) nor is it realistic because you have NPCs bumping around (Gothic, Oblivion). It is realistic because every NPC is given life through combining writing and scheduling (that put the Gothic series and Oblivion to shame). They were written into human beings. And they were written to affect the persons around them. And thus you see things like conservative rich family making life difficult for the single mom and her son, two beggars spending their days around in bitterness and world-hating, a father killing his daughter's best friend because she was not human, social tensions between the rich and poor, tensions between the poor and poor, outcasts of the society trying to fit into this cruel world, a man cheating on his wife with a young religious girl and so on. Ultima isn't realistic because of its game mechanics, lore or graphics. It is realistic because of its human values, because the game world is filled with humans. They lie, they hurt, they laugh, they do random acts of kindness, they fuck around like animals, they live, they enjoy simple things, etc - Ultima 7 realized the importance of the human heart and used it. It is not perfect, but there is no reason to leave this thing in the 90's and never perfect it. There is a lot to learn from Ultima 7 and much of it could improve current games."

What was definitely missing was reactive NPCs along the lines of what we get in, say, the Fallout games. If someone brought back the things that Ultima VII did singularly well and combined it with what Obsidian does best, that'd be absolutely amazing.

And hell to bugfix.

I quite liked Ultima 8 Pagan even if the game was completely broken / requiring a walkthrough in certain places.

The Might and Magic games deserved a mention somewhere in there as well. Isles of Terra (game 3), Darkside of Xeen (5th game in the series) and For Blood and Honor (Game 7) were all outstanding games.

And I've always seen System Shock 2 as far more of a RPG than a FPS. Yes it's a game in first person view, and yes you shoot stuff, but everything else about it is very RPG-like in nature. Hence my view point.
    Last edited by icemann; 15th Jul 2015 at 21:19.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Even if they split it up just to get more ad revenue from it, can you really blame them? Look at the amount of writing on just one of those pages. Disagree with the lists if you will, but you can't deny that a lot of thought and hard work went into compiling them.
    I've worked for an ad-based news site for almost a year and can attest the crazy amount of ad-views needed to stay afloat.

Also, to be honest, I like the paging. Given the amount of text I dont always read the whole thing in one go, so it's nice to bookmark a certain page for later than having to remember what number I was on and do a mega-scroll down to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    RPS gonna RPS
    What you mean by that? Genuinely curious as I dont read RPS religiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Yes.

"I want Ultima 7 to be rediscovered amongst the RPG crowd - designers and players. When it comes to the social aspect of it, U7's world is the most realistic game world out there ... It is realistic because every NPC is given life through combining writing and scheduling (that put the Gothic series and Oblivion to shame). They were written into human beings. And they were written to affect the persons around them. And thus you see things like...
    Interesting. Sounds a lot like Witcher 3 actually.

The FPS Top 50 list is called "The 50 Best FPS Ever Made" (whereas the RPG list is called "The 50 Best RPG On PC"), so why is the FPS list limited to only PC games. Some of the best FPSs ever were console only, such as Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters 2, and Timesplitters: Future Perfect, and fully deserve to be on that list, and not at the tail end, either.

I still think that Perfect Dark is the best FPS, and that's not nostalgia, as I still play it regularly.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Clockface View Post
    The FPS Top 50 list is called "The 50 Best FPS Ever Made" (whereas the RPG list is called "The 50 Best RPG On PC"), so why is the FPS list limited to only PC games. Some of the best FPSs ever were console only, such as Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters 2, and Timesplitters: Future Perfect, and fully deserve to be on that list, and not at the tail end, either.

I still think that Perfect Dark is the best FPS, and that's not nostalgia, as I still play it regularly.
    You're speaking as if an entirely subjective list was objective.

Also you would have to branch them off into Western and JRPGs, which considering the vast differences between the 2, they really deserve their own separate lists.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    What you mean by that? Genuinely curious as I dont read RPS religiously.
    RPS has fairly predictable opinions about most things, especially if you know the specific writer(s) contributing to something. Also, most of the writers there are either too young to remember pre-90's or pre-00's gaming or weren't into gaming before then or were too British so have no gaming references outside of a handful of BBC Micro and Amiga games, so you end up with a significant bias towards stuff from the past 10-15 years except for a handful of random titles that are either universally lauded by everyone or no one played outside of the UK.

They also have a habit of being fairly generic when it comes to their tastes, praising universally lauded AAA blockbusters or indie darlings while being "meh" about everything else. Unless those universally lauded titles are in a genre that they don't understand (like the Wargame series or Assetto Corsa or whatever).

They also tend to jump on every passing controversy train that's even tangentially related to PC gaming, although that's mostly John Walker I think. Oh, and while they've had lots of great writers in the past (Jim Rossignol and Kieron Gillen, after they left they had Nathan Grayson) I think the only person left whose articles I read is Alec Meer.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockface View Post
    so why is the FPS list limited to only PC games
    Rock, Paper, Shotgun
    PC Gaming Since 1873

I've definitely noticed the bias towards more newer games (by newer I'm talking 2000-Now) on RPS, though that really differs based on the subject in question and on who is reviewing/reporting. For example whoever did the articles on Diablo 3, and Syndicate (the horrible FPS game) had definitely played the prior games, where as there has been many articles about a sequel and/or game inspired by a game of old where the reviewer has never played the original/game it's based off, which to me always = their opinion meaning nothing, but I still enjoy the articles overall.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    , which to me always = their opinion meaning nothing
    That's just ridiculous.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Indeed. I don't see why someone judging a game on it's own merits, rather than how it stacks up against (sometimes rose-tinted) memories of a predecessor, would be a bad thing.

The topic of this thread is Top XXX Games Ever, so judging newer games without stacking them up against older games is missing the entire point.

And I agree with icemann when it comes to franchises. If you're going to review Dingleberry Maker 4, play its predecessors for context or get another job.

Considering icemann referenced the Syndicate article it's abundantly clear he wasn't just talking about the original topic of this thread.

Jason Moyer and icemann pointed out the loss of "experience" at RPS, which I've noticed too. It helps explain some of the oddities of their top...ever lists, so I think it is relevant to the original topic.

But anyway, regardless of the above, I still don't think it makes any sense to judge a franchise game on its own merits without stacking it up against its predecessors. It doesn't make sense to judge any game without context, and in the case of a series/franchise, the latest game has to be judged against its modern peers and its predecessors. If a reviewer isn't able to reach back and compare it to its predecessors, their opinion is worthless to fans of the franchise and to most anybody who played the predecessors. This seems self-explanatory to me.