TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Games Ever For Various Categories

Southquarter.com/fms
    Yeah, the most apt comparison I've heard is that DS1 is to DS2 as Alien is to Aliens, on the horror/action side of things.

Personally, I loved DS1, but I got bored with DS2 and probably only made it 25% through.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yup. I agree because I'm pretty sure the person who said that was me.

I started DS1 few days ago, I'm only 1-2 hours in (just finished the first 0 gravity section) and so far I haven't noticed much of a difference between DS1 and DS2. Though it's been nearly 4 years when I finished DS2. Atleast I can tell that there's a clear difference between DS1/2 and DS3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Minority Report. Possibly inspiration, I guess? I don't know; and anyway, it wasn't as icky a scene to me as the eyeslice from Un Chien Andalou.
    Actually what I was thinking was Final Destination 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRsznqHdW7Y

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgamer92 View Post
    Why the hell is a japanese console RPG number one on a PC RPG list?
    It's just that good. You might as well ask why Silent Hill 2 is on a PC horror list. It actually has a very WRPG feel to it. It's like a mirror universe response to Anachronox.
    Last edited by Starker; 1st Aug 2015 at 00:53.

Yeh I think the number 1 horror is a typo. As much as I enjoyed Call of Pripyat and think it is the superior game in many ways, Shadow of Chernobyl is much more horrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    It's just that good. You might as well ask why Silent Hill 2 is on a PC horror list. It actually has a very WRPG feel to it. It's like a mirror universe response to Anachronox.
    Don't get me wrong, I love Bloodborne and the Souls series. But you can't call a game that was designed for game pads and the ported to PC years later a CRPG. And it's also a very new franchise, it doesn't hold much historical weight the same way titles like Ultima, Wizardry, Goldbox games and Infinity Engine RPGs do. That's not to say you should pick an old game that isn't as good in the number one spot just because of its historical significance, but I think that a CRPG list should emphasize PC gaming culture.

It's not a CRPG list though. It's a list of RPGs on PC. And I don't really see why Dark Souls being designed for gamepads would matter to anyone who isn't a hardcore KB&mouse evangelist. There are flight sims designed with joysticks in mind and racing games designed with racing wheels in mind and fighting games designed with gamepads/fight sticks in mind. One of the strengths of PC gaming has always been great flexibility as far as peripherals are concerned.

And Dark Souls may not have historical significance now, but it will. It's a seminal game. There are already games being made that are influenced by it. Big important games like Witcher 3.
    Last edited by Starker; 1st Aug 2015 at 11:22.

^ this. PCs had joysticks and pads for ages, the PCMasterRace is just butthurt that consoles did them better

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    And Dark Souls may not have historical significance now, but it will. It's a seminal game. There are already games being made that are influenced by it. Big important games like Witcher 3.
    Yeah, souls-like is almost becoming a subgenre by now. Souls games have a lot of influence no doubt, but games like Ultima and Wizardry (that started on PC) had a far bigger (and maybe even more longlasting, esp. in the case of Wizardry) influence, even if only because they were at the right place at the right time. It's hard for any modern game to have the kind of influence that "pioneers" like that had (I use quotation marks as dungeon crawlers existed before U0 and W1).

Sure, the pond was much smaller back then, so it was easier to make a bigger splash, and, speaking purely in terms of relative impact, Dark Souls might not only end up below Ultima and Wizardry but probably also stuff like Diablo, Baldur's Gate and Dungeon Master.

Due to the iterative nature of game development, many of the best RPGs (even games like Ultima 7) pale in comparison to some of their predecessors in terms of the impact they had. Planescape Torment was not as influential as Baldur's Gate, Lands of Lore was not as influential as Dungeon Master, etc. Dark Souls in particular draws from nearly three decades of gaming, most directly from From's own King's Field and Demon Souls, of course.

Plus, can we wait 30 years before we decide which of today's games are "influencial". Seems a bit premature.

verbose douchebag
    I'd argue that Moonstone & Severance: Blade of Darkness (particularly the latter) inspired Dark Souls to some extent. Tension and high risk of death in a middle ages fantasy setting was already a thing, Dark Souls just perfected it (though I'd have loved if it had Severance style dismemberment just to really give it some brutality).
    Last edited by faetal; 2nd Aug 2015 at 05:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Yeah, the most apt comparison I've heard is that DS1 is to DS2 as Alien is to Aliens, on the horror/action side of things.

Personally, I loved DS1, but I got bored with DS2 and probably only made it 25% through.
    Weird. I really enjoyed DS2. Played it from start to finish. It does have a more action-y feel, but it still strongly maintains the horror angle. Only negative I'd give about the 2nd Dead Space game is that the anime that comes with it (Dead Space: Aftermath) is quite average when compared to the anime that comes with the first game. Definite decrease in visual quality and the story isn't as good.

I've yet to, and have no plans to play the 3rd Dead Space game since they got rid of manual saving in it entirely. Also it's apparently much more action focused than the first 2. Not interested. If they added back in manual saving though I'd give it a try.

Using DS as an abbrevation when people are talking about both Dead Space and Dark Souls in alternating posts can be a little confusing, even with context.

Yeah that can be. Especially since Dark Souls in itself has a horror angle. Though not on the same level as Dead Space.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well wouldn't you know it, RPS has put together another DUMB LIST for us to disagree with: Top 25 Action Games. Action games, now that's a genre so broad it could contain just about anything, but what it DEFINITELY SHOULDN'T CONTAIN is Grow Home and Beyond Good & Evil, lovely though they are. It's just not an action game unless you spend most of your time killing(or at least knocking out) people or things, imo. As for their #1 pick? No no no, that's not even the best Saints Row game! SR3 is!

Henke's Top 15 Action Games
    1. Max Payne
    2. Chronicles of Riddick: EfBB
    3. Batman: Arkham Asylum
    4. Oni
    5. GTA:SA
    6. Just Cause 2
    7. Uncharted 3
    8. DOOM
    9. Saints Row 3
    10. Halo
    11. Far Cry 3
    12. Hotline Miami
    13. Red Dead Redemption
    14. The Warriors
    15. MDK

(games listed more in order of how good they are as Action Games, and not so much in order of how good they are as Games)
    Last edited by henke; 27th Aug 2015 at 14:20. Reason: added The Warriors, bumped Urban Chaos off list

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    4. Oni
    CORRECT!
    10 points.

Amazing game. Had awesome guns which I never ended up using because the HTH combat is so frickin great.

Chakat sex pillow
    Your action games ain't got enough action, henke.

Sulph's Totes Top Action Games List

1. Hatoful Boyfriend
    2. Fahrenheit
    3. Fahrenheit
    4. Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble
    5. Godhand
    6. Metal Gear Solid 4 codec conversations with Rosemary and an unstable sixaxis controller
    7. Riana Rouge
    8. Every Dead or Alive game ever made
    9. Ultima VII: Serpent Isle

This man speaks the truth.

Also, chakats.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Action games, now that's a genre so broad it could contain just about anything, but what it DEFINITELY SHOULDN'T CONTAIN is Grow Home and Beyond Good & Evil, lovely though they are.
    I can see how you might get Beyond Good & Evil in the action genre box, if you tried hard enough, even if you had to saw some of its limbs off and lots of bits would still be left dangling out. At least BGE has some crappy combat and stuff like races and minigames. Grow Home, though, is mind-boggling. If that's an action game then only in the sense that you perform actions in the game, in which case almost every game is an action game.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh yes. It's been too long since I last played BG&E. Forgot there were fisticuffs in it. I just remembered the sneaky bits.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I suppose it's only a matter of time before we get the "Top Stealth Games" list. That should be fun.

And Henke beats me to the punch and mentions the top 25 action games before I could .

Man "action" is quite a broad genre. You could put 3/4 of video games in that category really. Resident Evil 4 I would class more as a survival horror game than just pure action. The rest of the Resi games after that would be fair game. Assassin's Creed I would class as more of a sandbox game (that and GTA 4 + Saints Row 4 obviously), and Mechwarrior 2 I'm unsure of. I'd probably put it down as more of a strategy game.

It's quite hard to really nail down exactly what fits into pure action and not into other genres however.

Hence why on my steam games list I tend to put the games that don't really fit into a specific genre but have action elements in them, into the action category I setup.
    Last edited by icemann; 28th Aug 2015 at 11:32.

Chakat sex pillow
    MechWarrior 2 is a mech "simulator" and should technically have its own genre, but RPS is gonna RPS, especially when it's a John Walker list.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post

ONI

CORRECT!
    10 points.

Amazing game. Had awesome guns which I never ended up using because the HTH combat is so frickin great.

Thirding. I only played it ages ago but it actually was one of the more fun 3rd person battle systems.

Also, have you ever played Fighting Force? That one was fun too, especially COOP.