TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Games Ever For Various Categories

Ah, "Oni". Hand-to-hand combat was fun but, based on the demo, it didn't have a whole lot more going for it?

I vaguely recall that the gameplay otherwise seemed to be mostly inane key card hunts which, while not uncommon for the day, seemed a poor fit in this case.

One of my enduring memories was the fuss they made over having hired actual architects to design the levels. Unfortunately the result was that the game (or the demo at least) featured the most boring levels ever seen in a game!

My overall impression was that they'd had lots of good intentions, but that very few of them had really worked out.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I suppose it's only a matter of time before we get the "Top Stealth Games" list. That should be fun.
    We already did. You didn't see it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I vaguely recall that the gameplay otherwise seemed to be mostly inane key card hunts which, while not uncommon for the day, seemed a poor fit in this case.

One of my enduring memories was the fuss they made over having hired actual architects to design the levels. Unfortunately the result was that the game (or the demo at least) featured the most boring levels ever seen in a game!
    Oni did have some levels where you were card hunting, but most of the time it was fairly obvious where you had to go and the backtracking was as far as I remember it minimal (ie. if you were sent off to a side path, there'd usually be a shortcut back to the door).

The architecture meant that while several levels felt kinda dull visually, those same levels did also feel like atual buildings. But the game also had some levels which were fairly visually interesting (for the time) even with the architecture being "realistic". I can still understand why you'd think that the game would be dull if you only played the warehouse demo level. The combat was also fairly limited in the early levels, as they decided to tie the available moves to each individual level.

And now there's a Top 50 free games list up.

Fixed up the first post to have all the RPS lists mentioned so far on it also.

Which somehow doesn't have Cave Story.

Or Daniel Remar's excellent games (Iji and Hero Core, among others).

Or anything by Locomalito (Hydorah, Maldita Castilla)

But I guess the free game category is somewhat large, so I'll cut them some slack.

Didn't cave story become a purchasable one? On consoles possibly?

Cave Story is free, but an enhanced version of the game is sold for money. That goes for a number of games on that list, such as Desktop Dungeons or Spelunky. At least they didn't put something like Assassin's Creed or Evolve in there, so it's a list of games that fit the description this time.

There are quite a few excellent games missing, though, whether it's remakes like Ur-Quan Masters, Return to Chaos, and Quest for Glory 2 or old games made available like BASS and the Spiderweb Exile series or completely original games like Heroine's Quest or one the numerous IF games like, say, Spider and Web to pick one completely randomly.
    Last edited by Starker; 17th Oct 2015 at 10:44.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    And now there's a Top 50 free games list up.
    Scanned the list for glaring omissions - not counting abandon ware:

• Soldat- the most fun I've had on a free game, glad to see some servers still populated
    • MUDs - Aardwolf deserves a mention
    • ADOM and Nethack - mentioned but omitted, although an enhanced version of ADOM just hit steam
    • Tomb Raider fan levels - many are stand alone and don't require purchase of the original game
    Last edited by TannisRoot; 20th Oct 2015 at 10:47.

Level 10,000 achieved
    NO WATCH DOGS!?!? >:|

I can't believe Minecraft made it in there.

I can't believe Minecraft made it in there.
    Well, there is a lot of hacking in the game.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Neon Struct at 12? I liked Neon Struct, but it's stealth is extremely barebones. There's nothing about it that puts it ahead of a handful other indie games with stealth, like Soma, Sir, YABH, or Betrayer. Glad to see Commandos 2 get mentioned tho, the first Commandos game was my first enounter with stealth, and when I played Thief many years later my first thought was "it's like a first person Commandos game!".

My top 10 (judging mostly by how good they are as stealth games, but also a little bit how good they are as games):
    Thief 2
    MGS V
    Far Cry 3
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Deus Ex
    Shadow of Mordor
    Mask of the Ninja
    Styx
    Alien: Isolation
    Chronicles of Riddick

Thief
    MGS 5
    Dishonored
    Deus Ex HR

That'd be my 4. Not sure on the rest if I were to do a top 10.

Thing What Kicks
    I mentioned this in the RPS comments, but I'll repeat it here.
    While I absolutely love The Phantom Pain and think it's a better game, I think Ground Zeroes is a better actual stealth experience. Mostly due to the constraints it places on the player compared to The Phantom Pain, such as lack of Fultons, and enclosed play area and no gear upgrade path.
    The Phantom Pain eventually becomes far too easy for its own good, and doesn't punish failure as much as it should.
    Still, we live in a world where we can have both, so this is nitpicking somewhat.

If you've got both games and haven't played Ground Zeroes since The Phantom Pain came out, I highly recommend going back and playing it again. The tighter scenario suits the stealth mechanics much better.

The games with stealth as a major element where I've enjoyed the stealth element are Party Hard, Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Mark of the Ninja, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Batman: Arkham City and the alien bits of Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000. I have enjoyed other games with stealth elements (like Shadow of Mordor), but I can't think of any more where the stealth element was a noticable part of what I liked about the game.

I'm actually rather surprised they listed the original Deus Ex over the rest of the series. I mean it's a classic game, absolute, but the stealth is rather terrible. As Icemann stated, Human Revolution has a much better stealth implementation that should have been listed instead.

Neb's favourite stealth game which gets absolutely no recognition for being a stealth game: Silent Hunter III. I mean, jesus - submarines are boats that go underwater to prevent being detected, and the game was damn good too.

The meat and bones of the game is tracking merchant convoys from a distance, working out where they are heading as you listen to the eerie whump-whump of propellers from kilometres away through the hydrophones, and then charging as fast as possible to intercept and lying in wait. If you were correct, you'd soon see the tasty merchant ships, and have a chance to size up what's there to protect them. Get firing solutions on the best targets, and then enjoy the rush up your spine at the smooth whine of the torpedo tubes opening.

When the torpedoes hit you'd have everything with a depth charge hunting you - trying to triangulate your position with terrifying sonar pings. If you were smart, you'd already have an escape route planned - you chose to intercept the convoy close to deep water.

Some of my favourite moments which I'll never forget:

Loading newly available acoustic seeking torpedoes into the rear bay, not sure how well they work. Get jumped in the fog by a destroyer coming from behind, so fire one off. It swims straight past, circles around and saves me.

Hit a merchant ship with my last torpedo in the shallow water between Ireland and Scotland. It doesn't sink, so I surface to finish it off with my deck gun. A nearby destroyer comes to the rescue and almost fucks me up, so I have to spend the next ten minutes at periscope depth, huddled against the merchant ship sitting dead in the water to stop the now circling destroyer from using its depth charges against me. I'm about to try and make a move when I hear the largest boom and screech of crumpling metal, so quickly raise the periscope to see segments of the 12,000 tonne cargo ship collapsing right on top of me. I don't think a horror game has ever made my hair stand on end like that.

Last one (and I know most of you don't care, but fuck it, I loved that game back in 2004 and spent hundreds of hours in it): An attack on a convoy had gone terribly wrong. I was in shallow water, sitting right on the sea bed to try and mask my presence as a pair of destroyers tag-teamed me with depth charges. Getting closer and closer, they started scoring hits and I start taking on water until I'm heavy enough to scrape the sea bed. The Atlantic shelf is only a few hundred metres away, so I give up any attempt at stealth and go straight to flank speed. I limp over the edge, into the black void, but I'm taking on so much water that I have a new problem. I put everyone on damage control to try and pump the water out faster than it's leaking in, but the needle on the depth gauge is still creeping towards the red zone. Finally, I managed to take control, even though I'm just past what should be crushing depth. (Felt so good.)

So, yeah. Submarines are a fantastically underrated twist on stealth with patrol routes and alertness states (with sonar for barks). They're also great opportunities for building suspense and atmosphere that you don't really get anywhere else. It's such a shame that the series withered away and died. Maybe something new will appear in the distant future, when the time is right. It wouldn't even need to be a straight-up simulator.

Finally, a list that's not outright terrible. They even put the correct game in the top spot. :P

I'm diversifying the lists alittle and will start adding good top 10 games videos from youtube. Primarily from Watchmojo as they post great top 10s across various categories on a daily basis and have been for several years.

So to start off:

Top 10 Classic Western RPGs
    Top 10 Western RPGs of The 2000s
    Top 10 Western RPGs of The 2010s
    Top 10 Western RPGs of All Time
    Last edited by icemann; 7th Mar 2016 at 00:46.

And Fallout 3 gets best western RPG of all time. Dayam. I'm not sure which game I'd pick as absolute best one.

I enjoyed Fallout 3 well enough, but I don't think I'll ever understand how it'd be considered the better RPG than New Vegas. I do understand how some might prefer its setting, and obviously Obsidian games are buggy as hell, so I don't have any issues with people who enjoy Fallout 3 more, but there's just so much more in the way of roleplaying in NV. IMO this video highlights this aspect of the game quite nicely:

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast