TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Top Games Ever For Various Categories

Chakat sex pillow
    SH2's OST is the most balanced and heavy hitting one for me. Probably a bias speaking, because SH2 rates as one of the best games I've ever played. I usually show people the 2001 E3 trailer to convince them to try it.; it also has an extended Theme of Laura part towards the end that's wonderful and completely impossible to find as a separate track.

A couple of my favs from Silent Hill 4:

Fever Chill - 3rd favorite SH song.
    Main Theme
    Tender Sugar - My all time favorite SH song of all time (White Noise from SH 2 comes a close second).
    Wounded Warsong

Also - Top 10 Worst PS1 Games added. I disagree on Resident Evil - Survivor being in there as I quite liked that game, but I get that most people hate it.
    Last edited by icemann; 19th May 2016 at 10:40.

Top 10 Reasons Why Retro Gaming is Awesome added. Retro gamer for life.

I remember a time when retrogaming was simply called gaming and I have to disagree with a lot of it. Some of the stuff that he lists is/was just sheer necessity, some of it is very subjective and cherrypicked, and a lot of it still exists today. Most of the stuff simply moved from AAA space to indie space due to budget reasons and the development of technology.

Top 10 Legendary Video Game Development Studios added. This is a particularly good one. Only negatives imo is that neither Looking Glass Studios or Bullfrog got even a mention. Beyond that, a top list.

Administrator
    Any Top 10 is going to miss stuff that some people think should be in the list.

Also, we have a soft spot for LGS here obviously.

Bullfrog is certainly a key developer, and Peter Molyneux invention of the "God Game". I even managed to get some work experience there around 1995, so I saw how tiny it was considering what came out of there.

Epic Games probably deserves a mention for influence, and Crytek for pushing boundaries in technology, but you could go on for ages...

I'm kind of ambivalent about Nintendo overall, because they seem to have been recycling the same concepts for 30 years, yet I can see how influential the company is.

Administrator
    I'd say Okami for whatever type of game it is... I prefer it to Zelda twilight princess which is a similar date. Console action adventure? Not sure.

In Celebration of Perfectly Average Action Games on PC added.

Completely agree on Darkness 2 being a lesser sequel to the first. A good game regardless though.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah I liked RPS' 7/10 list, and agree with most of it. I'm a big fan of solid, tho unambitious, 7/10 action games. If I were to nitpick the list I'd say Sleeping Dogs is perhaps a tad too good. It certainly felt like nothing more than a solid actiongame while I was playing it, but towards the end the story got good enough that it elevated it above that. Shadow of Mordor, on the other hand, felt a lot better than 7 while I was playing it, but in retrospect a 7 feels appropriate. And Brutal Legend might well be a 7/10 game, but it feels like it tried to be a lot more than that but simply didn't succeed. It's not trying to be a 7, and doesn't feel comfortable there, so I wouldn't include it on the list. What I would add: Crysis 2(1 is too ambitious, and 3 isn't quite good enough), Sniper Elite V2, Syndicate (FPS), and a bunch of stuff I can't remember right now.

The Bureau being in there was well deserved. I quite liked that game. Sure it is not EVEN CLOSE to the greatness of the turn based squad entries, but it has some charm to it + the story wasn't too bad all in all.

Southquarter.com/fms
    The 7/10 thing is a great idea for a list, I kind of laughed when I saw it. One game on it that had me questioning it though was Dying Light, which I thought was a ton of fun and one of my favorite games from the last couple of years. But yeah, once you really think about it - the characters, the plot, the dialogue - it's pretty much made for that list. They probably should have put Dead Island on the list too.

Does it say something about your overall taste if a 7/10er is one of your favorite games? I hope not.

Not at all. I'd consider 7/10 games are the games that some people like and some don't.

Top 10 Retro Style Videogames added. Quite liked this one. Tempted to go give Retro City Rampage a play.

Sad that Escape Goat didn't get any love

Nor Hyper Light Drifter, but I guess that's not really all that retro per se.

I just thought, "Hang on, he does talk about Hyper Light Drifter!", but then I realised I was thinking about this video:

I generally find his Game Maker's Toolkit videos well worth watching.

Top 10 Freaky Audiologs in Videogames added.

The order of spots 1-3 I COMPLETELY disagree with.

Should have been:

1. System Shock 2
    2. Dead Space
    3. Bioshock

Level 10,000 achieved
    RPS have posted their Top 50 Free Games on PC list. Good stuff. I have played... *counts* 15 of these, and I'll give a special thumbs-up to Bernband, Frog Fractions and Gravity Bone. Foddy's QWOP and CLOP are listed, but I say GIRP is his best game.

Chakat sex pillow
    Frog Fractions is clearly what deserved to be #1. Either that, or N. I confess I did not and do not understand what the fuss is over Spelunky, as I'm generally left cold by its design even though I'm a staunch platformer enthusiast. Whatever its joyous interplay of systems happens to be, I struggle to find much fun in it.

Good list. Just missing AM2R.

Kotaku today posted a list of all of the Star Wars games ever released. Quite interesting.

Putting one of the top-10 Star Wars games of all time at the very bottom of the list (and below all the other Atari 2600 Star Wars games, which were awful) = holy clickbait.

Which was your favorite?

KOTOR 1 for me. Tie Fighter was pretty good too.

KotOR II. Then probably Jedi Outcast and X-Wing Alliance.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast