TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Games Ever For Various Categories

Top Games Ever For Various Categories

Prepare to rage (no pun intended):
    Here

System Shock 1 & 2's non inclusion ticked me off as did a few others (eg Heretic and Hexen are missing).

And Far Cry 2 scored better than 3 which has me divided as 2 is certainly the better of the 2 from a graphical and engine stand point, but gameplay wise 3 was FAR SUPERIOR.

First more up to date, top 50 listings that I'd seen in a while.

Rock Paper Shotgun and Kotaku Articles:

2016's Most Promising RPGs
    In Celebration of Perfectly Average Action Games on PC
    The Best Australian Games Ever Made
    Top Bestest Games of 2017 so far
    Top 25 Action Games
    Top 25 Co-Op Games
    Top 50 FPS
    Top 50 Free Games
    Top 10 Games Based on Movies
    Top 10 Hacking, Coding, Computing Games
    Top 25 Horror
    Top 50 RPGs
    Top 25 Simulation Games
    Top 15 Space Games
    Top 10 Star Wars Games
    Top 25 Stealth Games
    Best PC Games of all time
    Every Star Wars Game Ever From Worst to Best

Youtube (Watchmojo Primarily):

Top 10 90s FPS Games
    Top 10 Best FPS Games of the 2000s
    Top 10 Best FPS Games of the 2010s
    Top 10 Handheld Spinoff Games
    Top 10 Classic Western RPGs
    Top 10 Freaky Audiologs in Videogames
    Top 10 Hardest N64 Games
    Top 10 Legendary Video Game Development Studios
    Top 10 Mid Bosses in Video Games
    Top 10 Mortal Kombat Games
    Top 10 Opening Credits Sequences in Games
    Top 10 Open World Games
    Top 10 Reasons Why Retro Gaming is Awesome
    Top 10 Retro Style Videogames
    Top 10 Sci-Fi RPGs of All Time
    Top 10 Sci-Fi Strategy Games
    Top 10 Songs with Lyrics in Games
    Top 10 Western RPGs of The 2000s
    Top 10 Western RPGs of The 2010s
    Top 10 Western RPGs of All Time
    Top 10 Worst Mario Spin-offs
    Top 10 Worst PS1 Games
    Top 10 Spinoff Games
    Top 10 Video Games With Awkward Live Action Scenes
    Top 10 Video Games Overflowing With Content
    Top 10 Video Games With The Worst Camera
    Last edited by icemann; 28th Nov 2017 at 06:45.

I was going to say "System Shock games aren't really FPSs or at least they are more than that", but glancing through the list I'm not really sure what their definition of FPS is actually, with the inclusion of Thief 2, Dishonored and Mirror's Edge.

Btw, they mention it on the last page.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Actually he mentions SS2 on the first page where he lays out what defines a FPS in his view:

But what makes a first-person shooter? It’s a question which has haunted me a little during the making of this feature. Does it have to be primarily about shooting? Maybe not, but I feel that has to be your primary means of interaction with other characters. Clubbing someone unaware with a blackjack counts, as you’re taking aim and harming someone (even if you usually refuse the option to), but if you have the option to talk to someone (or monster) instead, we’re heading off into roleplaying game territory. So, no Deus Ex. I felt similarly about games which see you spend a whole lot of time worrying about inventories or choosing skills. Exceptions were made, but only when the shooting side of things was rock-solid. So, no System Shock 2 either. It’s excellent at many things, but shooting sure ain’t one of them (and in any case, I don’t doubt we’ll hear from it if and when we do an RPG one of these).
    Not that I agree with that definition. Way too inclusive. If I were to make a top 50 fps list I'd include only games that are primarily and pretty much only about shooting things. So, great as they are, it would not include Thief 2, Mirror's Edge, Chronicles of Riddick, Zeno Clash and Dishonored. I'm crazy about the idea of tactical shooters like Rainbow Six and Arma being in there either. And MP FPS's should be a separate category. Stealth-action games like Far Cry 3 and melee-heavy games like Shadow Warrior would be edge-cases.

As usual when someone on the internet puts together a list, everyone else on the internet could do it wayyyyy better. Including me!

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    As usual when someone on the internet puts together a list
    They're doing it to get ad revenue for whichever site they wrote the list for. Especially if that site splits lists into multiple pages.

Level 10,000 achieved
    If you wanna be cynical you might argue that anything any gaming site writes is just to get ad revenue.

Being gamers who enjoy thinking about what the best games in a given genre are might just play into it as well!

Hmm... third greatest shooter is Thief, apparently. Okay then.

Also, no Painkiller? What a rubbish list.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, those are great criteria. Most of us would've spent most of Mirror's Edge and Thief wandering about and shooting people, after all.

It really is a weird list. Deus Ex is not considered an FPS, while Dishonored, which is pretty much a clone of Deus Ex mixed up with Thief, is ?

Oh, and there's no Blood on there !

I get that SS2 is not a FPS. It's an RPG. Deus Ex straddles the fence, could be in or out. But if Deus Ex is out, so should a lot of others. Like Descent.

And what's with Quake being all the way down in #37, behind everything it spawned? Behind even a Quake mod (Action Quake in #13)?

And Halo in #31?
    And no Marathon?

And why is UT 2004 the only Unreal game on this list? Surely Unreal 1 and the first UT were bigger FPS landmarks.

This is like reading one gamer's personal favorites list, not a best of all time list. I used to better from RPS.

I would actually put SS2 higher in "shootiness" than Deus Ex, Dishonored, or Thief. The latter are all games where you could shoot things, but it's not necessary and often outright discouraged. SS2... You pretty much shoot your way through. There exists melee, turrets you can hack, and invisibility, but those solutions are not the focus of the game.

Far Cry 3 is fucking garbage and I honestly don't know how people can enjoy the chase-the-icon and do-a-bunch-of-repetitive-shit-in-forgettable-environments stuff that Ubisoft has been pumping out since AC.

I'm not going to make a massive list, but some of the games I'd rate near the top would be Quake, Hexen II, Descent II, No One Lives Forever, Deus Ex, Operation Flashpoint, Shadow Of Chernobyl, BioShock 2, Singularity, and Jedi Knight II. I'd probably rate Quake and Descent II as 1 and 2 on a purely FPS list, even though I'd rate the others higher on my "favorite games evar" list. Painkiller should probably be in there somewhere too as a favorite FPS that isn't really one of my favorite games.
    Last edited by Jason Moyer; 16th May 2015 at 00:08.

Classical Master 2008
    No Blood, no Duke3d, no Shadow Warrior, no original Unreal.

I suppose the first three didn't make the list because they were ~*::problematic::*~ to the rainbow pony community. But Unreal? What did Unreal do?

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    Seconded. Unreal in particular deserved to be in the list somewhere. The 2nd game not so much. But the first is just awesome. A game that even today holds up.

Second ing what others said. How is DX or SS excluded for not being shooty enough when Thief and Mirrors edge are there? Does not comput.

Also, including Tribes Ascend before Tribes 2? Wat

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post

I suppose the first three didn't make the list because they were ~*:roblematic::*~ to the rainbow pony community. But Unreal? What did Unreal do?
    Wait, why is Blood problematic? Unless I'm misremembering, it wasn't even Redneck Rampage level of offensive to any groups specifically. Well, except perhaps to Christians with all the satanism.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Far Cry 3 is fucking garbage and I honestly don't know how people can enjoy the chase-the-icon and do-a-bunch-of-repetitive-shit-in-forgettable-environments stuff that Ubisoft has been pumping out since AC.

I'm not going to make a massive list, but some of the games I'd rate near the top would be Quake, Hexen II, Descent II, No One Lives Forever, Deus Ex, Operation Flashpoint, Shadow Of Chernobyl, BioShock 2, Singularity, and Jedi Knight II. I'd probably rate Quake and Descent II as 1 and 2 on a purely FPS list, even though I'd rate the others higher on my "favorite games evar" list. Painkiller should probably be in there somewhere too as a favorite FPS that isn't really one of my favorite games.
    I wouldn't call FC3 *garbage*, but it is in my opinion way inferior to 2 simply because it is so repetitive and overtly gamey. I'd also put Time Shift quite near the top. WAY under-rated game. Nearly the equal of Half Life 2 for me.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    This is like reading one gamer's personal favorites list
    I believe it is. Usually when it's a team effort they post it as RPS, but these Best Of lists have been posted by individual writers. Today Tim Stone posted the Best 25 Simulators list. There's also an extended top 50 list on the last page, where some of my faves(Spintires, The Hunter) get included.

And since noone asked...

Top 10 Sims according to Henke!
    Spintires
    Euro Truck Simulator 2
    Richard Burns Rally
    Lunar Flight VR
    The Hunter
    Assetto Corsa
    Screamer 4x4
    MS Flight (yes really, shutup)
    MXGP
    Receiver (maybe I'm stretching with this one)

Since no one asked either, my top 50 49:

1. System Shock
    2. Half-Life
    3. Quake
    4. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
    5. Metroid Prime
    6. Hexen
    7. Doom
    8. Star Wars: Dark Forces
    9. Half-Life 2
    10. Doom II
    11. Duke Nukem 3D
    12. System Shock 2
    13. Tron 2.0
    14. Quake III Arena
    15. Unreal Tournment
    16. Vietcong
    17. Blood
    18. Deus Ex
    19. Operation Flashpoint
    20. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six / Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear
    21. Crysis
    22. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
    23. Team Fortress Classic
    24. Team Fortress 2
    25. Far Cry
    26. Metro 2033
    27. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
    28. QuakeWorld
    29. Battlefield 1942
    30. SWAT 4
    31. No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way
    32. Metro: Last Light
    33. Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    34. F.E.A.R.
    35. No One Lives Forever
    36. The Chronicles of Riddick
    37. Unreal
    38. Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
    39. Star Wars: Jedi Knight
    40. Descent 2
    41. Aliens vs. Predator
    42. Painkiller
    43. Outlaws
    44. Project I.G.I.
    45. ArmA III
    46. Left 4 Dead
    47. Shadow Warrior (2014)
    48. Hexen II
    49. Quake Wars
    50. ʕ •ᴥ• ʔ

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Top 10 Sims according to Henke!
    Spintires
    Euro Truck Simulator 2
    Richard Burns Rally
    Lunar Flight VR
    The Hunter
    Assetto Corsa
    Screamer 4x4
    MS Flight (yes really, shutup)
    MXGP
    Receiver (maybe I'm stretching with this one)
    Assetto Corsa
    Richard Burns Rally
    Operation Flashpoint
    Mig Alley
    Mobil 1 Rally Championship
    iRacing/Papyrus (listing every Papyrus sim separately would be overkill and they'd all be on there)
    GTR 2/GT Legends
    Freespace 2
    IL-2 Sturmovik
    Viper Racing
    SODA Offroad
    Dirt Track Racing 2

Never heard of Eldritch. Looked like a Minecraft mod that'd get old fast.

Of simulation games. Only really 3 I ever got in to (going by their definition of including racing games as simulation), though in my book fictional settings are fine:

1. Gran Turismo 3 (PS2) - Only racing game I've got REALLY in to. I absolutely hate the vast majority of more modern racing games out there, other than Daytona. Retro racers I used to love playing (eg Hang on, Outrun etc). GT3 gave me a slight interest in car modding in real life.
    2. Afterburner (Arcade) - When in the those old school cabinets you see in Terminator 2. Was lucky enough to have a play of a few of those back in the day. Awesome experience as unlike an amusement park machine YOU controlled the movement of it as you moved your fighter jet.

On a side note, the motor bike game "Hang On" was quite good for similar reasons, as you had to tilt your bike to get it to do the corners.

3. Battlezone (Atari 2600) - From memory this was more a score attack style game that you could never actually beat (though I sucked at it so who knows ). The game places you inside a tank in some futuristic setting with the aim to destroy all the other tanks.

Feel free to tell me "none of those are simulation games", but their simulation to me.

And for FPS. My top 5:

1. Doom 1&2 (for me their 1 entity).
    2. System Shock 2
    3. Unreal
    4. Quake 1
    5. Half-Life 2 (was nearly going to say the first, but the 2nd has the richer immersion factor and great story behind it).
    Last edited by icemann; 17th May 2015 at 15:43.

The arcade version of Battlezone was actually adapted for use as a military tank sim:

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_de...?game_id=12915

Ah nice

And now add the top 50 RPGs to this series of lists.