TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: XCOM 2 Announced!!!!

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Well the hyped "day 1 Firaxis commissioned mods" from Long War Studios certainly sound underwhelming.
    There will be three mods available for XCOM 2 on February 5: a mod that adds submachine guns to the game, a mod that adds a set of leadership perks, and one that introduces a new enemy, the Muton Centurion.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/xcom-2-launch-day-mods-revealed/
    Well on the bright-side this type of content would've paid DLC in most other AAA games.

verbose douchebag
    Metacritic is currently sitting at 91% over 29 critic reviews, which isn't very shabby.
    I pre-ordered it back in September and have been pulling at the reins to play this and I won't be able to until Sunday evening because I'll be in Berlin all weekend.
    Unggghhh.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I won't be able to until Sunday evening because I'll be in Berlin all weekend.
    Unggghhh.
    Remember: don't mention the War.

In honour of everyone going doolally over XCOM 2, I've reinstalled XCOM, which I've started twice in the past but never really got into all that much. Do any of you have any tips along the lines of "I wish I'd known xyz when I first played XCOM"? (For the record, I've got Enemy Within installed as well.)

verbose douchebag
    Satellites are your primary concern. Play on the easiest setting first.

Thing What Kicks
    There's also a beat to how the aliens escalate operations. Certain events, such as researching a particular thing or doing a certain mission will advance the level of technology and threat the aliens chuck at you. If you play it carefully, you can put off the next phase indefinitely while you get your troops geared up and experienced.
    Last edited by Malf; 4th Feb 2016 at 06:00.

Thanks for those tips.

I've heard some stuff about base extensions that suggests it's really more about finding the right sequence (what to build when) rather than offering real choice and customisation. Is that the case, is it something that's been improved due to patches, or was it never all that much of a problem to begin with.

Apparently this has been fixed in XCOM 2 where you can choose your build strategy. The hype is real.

verbose douchebag
    Don't build additional labs (the faster you research, the faster the aliens get better), do build additional workshops. Plan your base building to make use of the adjacent rooms bonus.

Moderator and Priest
    Midnight tonight, folks. It on!

verbose douchebag
    I'm pre-loaded and good to go, but I'm also going away for the weekend, so I may only get an hour or two tops to play before I need to sleep.

Moderator and Priest
    Same here tonight, but I've got a whole weekend dedicated to nerding out with the game over at a friend's house.

We're gonna have pizza, coke, and...if we're lucky...PIE!

verbose douchebag
    Firing it up now (need to wait 8 minutes for updates, probably the pre-order bonus loading in). Will probably spend a bit of time in character creation to pre-populate the NPC pool with my custom people, then do a mission or two. Don't want to risk getting into it and be still sitting awake at 5am.

Moderator and Priest
    Damn, and I've still got another 4 hours.

verbose douchebag
    I've played longer than I should. I haven't been able to dig too deep into the long game yet, but the combat is SOLID.

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah. Rub it in my face while I've still got 3 hours left, you goddamn tease.

verbose douchebag
    I was trying to stoke your excitement

Moderator and Priest
    Oh, it was stoked and then some. The first mission of the game ended up being nailbitingly intense. It was only by pure luck that I managed it with only losing one guy, especially when the new Sectoids started throwing out all their new surprise powers.

It's already living up to its hype. Well, save for the performance. It's running a little slow, considering.

The performance is horrible for me. It's chugging on an i5 4690k and R9 390 with everything turned down.

I got completely wiped on the first mission. Lost half of my squad to cheesy exploding vehicles (which I hoped that they'd removed). I deactivated the plot doodad during my last stand, figuring I'd be able to hire more soldiers, but nope - it's making me restart the mission.

Damn, that thing is way too expensive over here, 170zl vs 120zl for the original on day one. For comparison, day one Dishonored was 100zl. Well, screw it, I'm waiting until it gets cheaper.

It's worth waiting for a few patches anyway.

I can't remember whether this happened in the original, but I restarted the first mission again (which I discovered is still technically part of the tutorial) and had one of my team members walk through a tile on fire, and then proceed to burn to death two turns later. That's way too silly, and my bad luck continues. Got wiped again, so started the game on easy and skipped the tutorial.

Moderator and Priest
    It performs almost perfectly for me in Windows, pegging out at a steady 60 FPS in-mission, and around 45 FPS on base. Linux is another story. It's all over the damn place, jumping between 15-70 FPS on what seems like a whim, and has a few wonky shader issues.

Great game, though. Hard as crap compared to the original.

verbose douchebag
    I didn't have any performance issues when I played. My PC isn't too fancy pants other than everything being SSD.

verbose douchebag
    Ok, so far I have put in 11 hours and am loving it so far. It's the sequel I wanted. It's enough the same and enough different.
    I'm guessing through some miraculous effect of the exact combination of components in my PC, I've been spared most of the performance issue. There are some annoyances which I hope will be ironed out by a patch soon, but otherwise, I'm certain I'll be losing many an hour to this.

Moderator and Priest
    Performance issues aside, which I've managed to solve in Linux, and never had to worry about in Windows, it is a damn good game. It's the perfect sequel, taking everything that was good about the previous XCOM, improving it, and fixing the rough spots. The fights are awesome, the base management more freeform, the geoscape more interesting, and the story is intriguing.

Shame I lost the damn game, because I didn't start paying attention to the Avatar Project until it was too late to do anything about it.