TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: XCOM 2 Announced!!!!

Haha, it got "Mostly Positive" ratings on Steam cause of the performance issues/bugs, yet everyone I've talked to or whose opinions I've read have been nothing by pumped about it. Petty steam users lol.
    And why appreciate day 1 mods when you can instead whine about some minor bugs that completely break you immersion and ruin the game.

verbose douchebag
    This is why I think it is worth spending a little extra time to iron out the creases. The metacritic and steam ratings always take a dick if there are too many glitches.
    I have to admit that the game is in a pretty rough state. I always get a fairly long delay between overwatch fire triggering and actually seeing the animation (and annoyingly you get the solider's reaction dialogue before seeing anything happen). A lot of the action cams leave you staring at a wall while something happens. Sometimes animations don't trigger so you're left watching a soldier have a siezure in a corner while bullets fly out of them.
    It's pretty janky in places, but in spite of it all, I'm having a whale of a time.

Moderator and Priest
    XCOM 2 is great, but then you end up missing three 97% shots, and then it becomes the worst fucking game of all time.

...then the guy you were trying to hit with those three missed 97% shots turns around and one-shot crits one of your guys. What the fuck? WHAT THE FUCK? WHAT THE HOLY HELL SHIT FUCKING HELL WAS THAT FUCKING SHIT?

Okay, I'm better now.

RNG's are such a mixed blessing. When making the Glade Raid prototype, I was so scared of setting RNG aside entirely that it wasn't planned to work the way it ended up. And now, my playtesters complain about the fact that the dodge-direction is still random, lol.

Moderator and Priest
    The RNG can sometimes make for some batshit scenarios.

I love how good ole Jorge said "I hope you know what you're doing" when I moved him into a prime position for a kill shot. Yes, Jorge. I knew what I was doing. It was you, armed with a shotgun, and only 7 feet away from your target, who let down the cause, and ended up getting one of your friends killed because your stupid ass can't hit the broad side of a barn with a weapon you only have to aim in the general direction of something to be able to hit it.

Fuck you, Jorge. Fuck you, and your attitude.

verbose douchebag
    Go easy on Jorge. Those are high stress situations.
    Another thing which needs fixing, possibly with a mod is those ugly AF 1995 skybox textures. Some of them look like placeholder assets.

Is it any more dynamic than EU'12 in terms of Geoscape progression? Do you always get the same things appearing on the map in the same order or is it randomized?

verbose douchebag
    It certainly seems randomised. The whole strategic layer is a far more integral part of the overall game and it's something you play rather than just a place where you speed up time.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Go easy on Jorge. Those are high stress situations.
    Jorge's off the team. We're saving the world here, not playing peewee league kickball.

Moderator and Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Jorge's off the team. We're saving the world here, not playing peewee league kickball.
    He got shot in the face, didn't he?

Moderator and Priest
    No, he managed to live through all his fuck-ups. Lucky bastard.

On another note, I've been playing with my brand new Steam controller. My first impressions based on a couple of FPSes, and XCOM 2?

...different, but promising. I could see myself liking it, even though I think the face buttons are shifted a little too far over to the left for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    On another note, I've been playing with my brand new Steam controller. My first impressions based on a couple of FPSes, and XCOM 2?

...different, but promising. I could see myself liking it, even though I think the face buttons are shifted a little too far over to the left for my liking.
    Personally I've fallen in love with the thing; it's a tweaker's wet dream. Check out my Thief 1&2 binds (under username "gone") that I spent hours perfecting. Realms of the Haunting coming shortly.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm getting more warmed up to it. I just now got through playing through the Dying Light demo with it, and it's just about clicked with me.

I do have a few ergonomic issues with it, and my muscle memory screws with me when I get into a panicky situation, but I'm getting there. Overall, I like it.

Meanwhile, during the original alien invasion...

I think that after bouncing off of XCOM twice I'm now in the right frame of mind, and I've been playing it a fair amount of time over the last couple of weeks (in between Alien: Isolation). While the actual fights have been going fairly well (and I love my sniper killing machines!), the situation room tells a different story, with several countries being in the dark orange. In fact, Nigeria has just left the Council! I hope this isn't the kind of thing that will shoot me in the foot, amputate the gangrenous limb and leave me a limping wreck...

My favourite mission so far was one where I have to investigate a fishing town for the source of the chryssalid infestation. (Not sure if any of the missions are the same for everyone playing, or if this one is procedurally generated.) At the end, I had eight turns to exfiltrate, while wave after wave of chryssalids came after me. The different play style of withdrawing while making sure that my slowest soldiers weren't overrun by the horde was more tense and exciting than any other TBS memory of mine.

Once again, I've got a couple of questions for the veterans among you:
    - Any Foundry projects I should prioritise?
    - Any recommendations on upgrading my fighters? I can only down UFOs by sheer luck at this point, they're so big.
    - Any negative effect to not capturing any aliens? I'll have to do so eventually (since it's a task the game has assigned me), but so far I've focused on killing them and doing an autopsy.

Ammo conservation means less actions spent reloading instead of firing, can help you not run dry at a critical moment. Are you playing with Enemy Within? Oh, wait, you mentioned the chryssalid infestation in the fishing town, so I guess you are. Tactical rigging is a good one to get, an extra item slot for every soldier is handy.
    I like to go for captures early if possible, the research boosts you get for interrogations can be handy for teching up your weapons and armour. Which might also help with your interceptor problem.

Moderator and Priest
    I was doing so well. My guys? Machines of slaughter and mayhem. They wrought destruction with nary a sweat broken.

...then I met my first Sectopod. Now? I weep for my fallen.

verbose douchebag
    I've completed it and am on my second run through. The verdict? It's as good as Enemy Within and a decent remix of the formula.
    Now playing with many mods installed.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Urge to buy XCOM 2 intensifying...

Moderator and Priest
    After seeing that, I want to buy it again.

You can currently get it at a 25% discount via GMG. I'm also itching to get it as I loved enemy within but have committed to clearing some of my backlog first by which time XCOM 2 will hopefully be even cheaper.

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, I got it through GMG myself. $57 for the collectors edition. It's been worth every penny.

Though I had to use a friend who prebought the game to order my Steam controller through, since mine didn't count as a preorder.

verbose douchebag
    Second play through on harder difficulty is proving a lot more fun, if pretty tense. I had to install some mods which dialled down the time constraints on the mission a little though since I stopped having fun due to not being great at the game. I now have 2 extra turns to do X, plus the timer only starts when my squad is revealed. Also, I highly recommend the stop wasting my time mod for everyone. Doesn't alter the gameplay significantly, just removes a lot of artificial pauses and speeds up some of the movement.

Moderator and Priest
    That Stop Wasting My Time mod looks like a godsend. If there's one thing that annoyed the piss out of me, it's hearing Central say the same things over and over and over again, mission after mission.

"We have to put a stop to these civilian causalities, commander!"

"I FUCKING KNOW, XO OBVIOUS! LET ME DO MY DAMN JOB, INSTEAD OF STOPPING THE ACTION FOR 30 SECONDS SO YOU CAN BITCH IN MY EAR ABOUT WHAT'S GOING ON RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!"