TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: XCOM 2 Announced!!!!

verbose douchebag
    As it happens, I've also got your back on that one: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=621358553

Well after reading this thread a little more closely I couldn't overcome my urge to buy it. Downloading now...

Moderator and Priest
    You've made a wise decision, Twisty.

Yes, now with this, Witcher 3, several PS4 games, TWD Michonne and a few games in my backlog that I want to spend more time with, I'm pretty much set up until DS3, which I've already pre-purchased.

verbose douchebag
    Have any of you lot tried the multiplayer? I couldn't find any active games, so now I'm eyeing up the "Invite friends" function.
    Someone needs to be up for this. I'm on CET and my availability is so patchy that I can't arrange times, but next time I find myself with a free hour - who can I hit up if I see them online?

I'm currently stuck at home base with the following outstanding objectives:
    • Complete the ADVENT Officer Autopsy research
    • Contact the Resistance in the Blacksite region

Is there any way to progress time in this like XCOM?

EDIT: I worked out that you need to click on the clock icon
    Last edited by twisty; 27th Feb 2016 at 04:48.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Does this thing have gamepad support (yet)? IIRC that wasn't gonna be in the game on release, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    ...Great game, though. Hard as crap compared to the original.
    Which difficulty are you playing this on? I'm finding this a bit easier than EW which I also played on the Veteran difficulty level, but unlike that one where I was in dire straights after the first 6 missions or so, I've only lost a couple of soldiers so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Ok, so far I have put in 11 hours and am loving it so far. It's the sequel I wanted. It's enough the same and enough different.
    I'm guessing through some miraculous effect of the exact combination of components in my PC, I've been spared most of the performance issue. There are some annoyances which I hope will be ironed out by a patch soon, but otherwise, I'm certain I'll be losing many an hour to this.
    Yeah, this is definitely a very worthy sequel -- improved destructive environments, better combat options and graphical overhaul. Perhaps I'm still not far enough into it to form a valid opinion yet, though it feels more like XCOM 1.5 rather than a full blown follow up to the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    ... though it feels more like XCOM 1.5 rather than a full blown follow up to the first one.
    For the sake of comparison, what sort of sequels would you consider full blown follow-ups?

Well on balance I'd probably say most sequels fit that description in my experience as it is easier for me to recall games that are significantly different enough from their predecessors to those that feel more like iterations. A recent exception that come to mind is FC4, which despite containing a number of refinements and a gorgeous new setting, felt more like an expansion pack than a sequel.

But like I said, these are first impressions and I'm probably not far into it enough to draw too firm a conclusion just yet.

Things have definitely heated up now and getting my ass kicked on the first Dark Events missions. I really like how failing the hacking mechanic can really up the ante of the mission; definitely adds a gambling dimension to the whole affair.

verbose douchebag
    I had the stupidest idea. How about each one of us creates a version of ourselves in the character pool, exports it and then uploads the file to a shared dropbox?
    Then we could have TTLG members in our character pools.
    No?
    Okay then.

Thing What Kicks
    First time I got a Ranger with the Serial skill through the AWC, I thought I had the best character ever.

Then I got a Ranger with Death From Above on my current game (with the nickname "Chops").
    Gave her a Wraith suit, and holy shit! She's a one-woman death machine. I think she's currently up to ~140 kills.

Luckily, I got another Ranger with Serial on this run too, so when Chops inevitably fucks up (this is XCOM2 after all), she's there to fix the mess.

verbose douchebag
    If you're a fan of the AWC effect, I heartily recommend this mod.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, already using that

XCOM 2 performance patch is now live
    PC Gamer
    The long-awaited XCOM 2 performance patch, which incorporates numerous fixes, balance changes, some much-needed optimizations, and the new Zip Mode gameplay option, is now live.

Zip Mode, as the name implies, will create a faster paced experience by speeding up animations and shortening some delays. The patch also fixes a problem with shadow rendering causing slowdowns, adds support for SLI and Crossfire, enables triple buffering to fix Vsync issues, and does all sort of other sexy-sounding things, like Removed MSAA options from default presets and adjusted autodetect to target 40FPS instead of 30FPS. That sounds important, right? (Seriously, it probably is.) Slow communications during online multiplayer that resulted in delays between actions, turns, and the end-game screen have also been taken care of.

The patch should install automatically, but you may need to restart Steam to make it happen. You'll also have to take a couple of extra steps if you're using any mods: Launch XCOM 2, then exit, then launch it again, to ensure it has internalized the patch to work with mods. Most mods should play nicely with the patch as-is, but Firaxis warned that some of them may need to be updated.

Firaxis also recommended that players hit up the Auto Detect Graphics Settings option, because the patch won't automatically make any changes to the graphics settings.
    MORE
    Hopefully some of you are still playing this mighty title.

verbose douchebag
    I still am. Will stop when I finish my second play through as I want to wait for the DLC to come out, but I'm still keen on giving the multiplayer a spin if anyone's keen?

El Shagmeister

This version actually has procedurally generated levels like ye olde X-Com games, right?

verbose douchebag
    Kind of. The levels are randomly generated from "packages" which are pre-formed bits of map. It still ends up feeling somewhat samey after a while in terms of maps style, though the exact placement of things varies wildly, so you never really know what is going to be where, which is a definite improvement.

El Shagmeister
    Gotcha. Though hey, it certainly us an improvement. How's the multiplayer?

Since the latest patch I've noticed that the currently selected unit no longer defaults to selecting the enemy with the highest likelihood of being hit. Something to keep your eyes out for...

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDuck View Post
    Gotcha. Though hey, it certainly us an improvement. How's the multiplayer?
    Haven't had a chance to try it yet. All I've done so far is build a squad, which you do in the style of Warhammer etc where you have a certain number of points. I have an Advent squad ready to go, but I've yet to be able to find a game online.

Not sure how most of you finished it so quickly as I only just beat the game after 47 hours playtime, according to Steam. I think this is probably due to me faffing around with all of the improved mechanics, side missions and other distractions. XCOM was great, but XCOM 2 has greatly surpassed it in almost every category I think. Speaking of which, the improved customisation options and the new DLC add a degree of personalisation that results in greater attachment to the characters.

The latest patch also fixes quite a few things for the better, such as:
    • Added Zip Mode gameplay option. While Zip Mode is enabled animation (like step outs & gremlin movements) speeds are significantly increased. Normal movement animations are moderately increased
    • Graze is no longer a chance for 100% shots. Targets being shot by a concealed attacker cannot dodge
    • Fixed an issue where civilians pathed to the base of ladders and blocked XCOM units
    • Rapid Fire and Chain Shot visualization optimized to get the second shot to fire faster
    • Optimized Return Fire hits causing long delays
    • Unit Highlighting Flash when targeting units

Full details here.

verbose douchebag
    I'm on a third play-through with second highest difficulty and a slew of mods to mitigate said difficulty.
    I think it's definitely better than XCOM1, but I'd say it's on a par with the Long War mod.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    Not sure how most of you finished it so quickly as I only just beat the game after 47 hours playtime, according to Steam.
    Well comparisons of length it took to complete a game is quite subjective.

For example:

Person A - Takes 20 hours. Unemployed and no girlfriend/partner. Sits at home and plays said game in 10 hours plays. So took him 2 days.
    Person B - Takes 20 hours. Has a job + is married. Plays the game in short bursts over 2 months.

Who is "better"? As to Steam both are 20 hours.

And for the record my play time was according to steam - 51 hours. In my case I'd be somewhat like person A, though the girlfriend/fiance is currently on holidays in the US.