TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: XCOM 2 Announced!!!!

verbose douchebag
    Well according to Steam I have 130 hours recorded on XCOM2. This is as well as working more than 40 hours a week (plus 4 hours of French lessons), plus having a young baby.
    Maybe I've learned how to fold extra hours into the day?

I think the extra hours probably means less sleep -- it is with me anyway, having three kids under the age of five and a demanding job, waiting until they sleep is the only real game time I get these days. With a game like XCOM2, I find that I fall into the trap of, "just one more mission then I'll call it quits", which invariably turns into 2 or more missions...

Which is the mark of a great game generally.

verbose douchebag
    Six hours is plenty of sleep. Four is manageable.

On a work day I try to go by 5-6 hours sleep to allow for some gaming time (2-3 hours). On weekends if it's a day with nothing of importance on, then a bit of the afternoon and much of the night for me.

Totally depends on the game though. MGS 5 I was playing nearly non stop for quite some time.

Chakat sex pillow
    I don't know how you guys do it, but if I don't get 8 hours in I basically wake up wanting to hurl the entire planet into the sun. And sometimes, even that isn't good enough.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I basically wake up wanting to hurl the entire planet into the sun
    Same here, but I've just decided this is my personality now.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Same here, but I've just decided this is my personality now.
    That's a result of TTLG, not sleep deprivation.

Moderator and Priest
    I've spent a lot of my time posting in places far crazier than here. TTLG is my bastion of sanity, comparatively.

is Best Pony
    Now that half my alloted span is behind me, I find that I can't do the 'up to 3am' sessions I used to do so regularly, but 5-6 hours leaves me relatively functional as long as I can get a nap/coffee in the evening.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    That's a result of TTLG, not sleep deprivation.
    No, TTLG is a mitigating factor in my misanthropy.

Chakat sex pillow
    Indeed. If it weren't for TTLG and my morning coffee, I'd be fighting a losing battle against the urge to throw people off a roof.

Moderator and Priest
    I've managed to successfully fight that urge by not going up on roofs with people.

You know how they say you don't give heroin to a heroin addict? You also don't give a roof and a person to toss off the roof to a roof tosser. Seems kinda self explanatory, but you know how these things go...

Also, it's good to see Best Pony back!

I've lived my entire life off not getting alot of sleep. Much of that is since I'm a night owl. As in my body prefers to go to sleep at the later hours, rather than earlier ones. And that works out perfectly with my gaming and other stuff so I don't mind it at all.

Take for example my primary school years - Used to sit in bed and either read books or listen to music via headphones till 1-2am, then go to school with about 6-ish hours sleep. Did perfectly fine.

High school - Did the same, until we got a PC in 94, then started playing PC games to the later hours (12-1am), though once the computer desk got moved into my room that changed to 2am.

Early work life - Went a little crazy with this. I was inlove with the games on the playstation 1 and 2. So on a daily basis was playing games till 5-6am in the morning when I had to get up at 6:30am to get ready for work. Some how I was able to function off 30 minutes of sleep, though I'd sleep for 10 hours on weekends. Not sure to this day how I was able to do that without collapsing. Did that for 7 months straight.

Later life to present - Body still doesn't like me going to bed prior to 2am + that's valuable gaming time anyway. Whether I have to get up at 7:30am or whatever, I don't care. I need some gaming in my day.

is Best Pony
    Thanks, Renz!

Just noticed this downloading when I logged into Steam...
    Alien Hunters DLC and May Update Now Live

Alien Hunters, the second DLC pack for XCOM 2, adds exciting new gameplay content to your campaign. Available now for $9.99 or as part of the Reinforcement Pack, Alien Hunters features a narrative-driven mission, new weapons and armor, a new “Hunter’s Lodge” update to the Avenger’s Armory, plus three new “Ruler” alien units to combat.

These new Rulers, including the Viper King, are quite formidable, Commander. They will show up at random in your campaign, once you’ve completed the new narrative mission, and each will have their own unique behavior and tactics, so don’t expect them to act like their subordinates. If you can’t take out a ruler quick enough, the alien will escape to fight another day. We believe these rulers are incredibly intelligent and are pursuing your soldiers across the globe.

You won’t be without help in this new fight, however, as Alien Hunters also includes four new one-of-a-kind weapons: the Bolt Caster, a high damage single-shot weapon; the Hunter’s Axe, a powerful new blade weapon that can be thrown at enemies or used to dispatch foes at close range; the ShadowKeeper pistol, which has the Shadowfall ability that is guaranteed to hit and will place its user in concealment if the enemy is killed; and the Frost Bomb grenade, which is able to temporarily freeze targets. Chief Shen has asked us to point out that each of these weapons is a prototype, so if a soldier equipping any of these weapons falls in battle, be sure to physically carry them to the Skyranger or else you’ll lose the weapons forever.

On top of the new weapons, there are also three new suits of armor that can be unlocked in Alien Hunters. Each armor set is created from the corpse of a Ruler alien, and provides unique tactical abilities for the wearer. Each unique armor set also strikes fear into the subordinate alien caste. For example, the Icarus Suit is outfitted with powerful boosters that allow its wearer to fly around the map for maximum mobility.
    Sounds pretty awesome and a good excuse for me to fire up XCOM2 again.
    Last edited by twisty; 13th May 2016 at 02:23.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Avatar Project is about 70% complete and I'm not even out of Africa yet. I'm not gonna make it, am I? Currently clearing space for my first Resistance Comms.

Moderator and Priest
    You can still make it, though considering you haven't expanded your power base beyond your starting continent, you're going to have to attack a few Avatar Project sites before you'll feel like you're ready to drive that number down below 50%.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Unfortunately all the project sites are 2 continents away. Just managed to expand to Europe, but it's gonna take me another couple weeks at least before I have a new Resistance Comms, and the Avatar Project is 1 blipp away from completion.

Moderator and Priest
    It'll be by the skin of your teeth, but you might be able to manage even still. Just expect it to be really stressful, since you're going to be scrambling to keep on your feet.

I had to restart three times before I got a feel for the ebb and flow of the game. It's been a bit since I last played, but I remember that prioritizing on resistance comms to spread my influence, and spending some time gathering intel to keep up on dark events that increase the doomsday clock really helped at the beginning.

Thing What Kicks
    Doesn't matter if they complete the Avatar bar; you've got something like 14 days to complete a critical mission after that, at which point you'll lower the bar and give yourself some breathing room.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh?

Huh.

Hmm.

I was kinda ready for this to be over with, to tell you the truth. It's a good game and all, but also often an insanely infuriating one. Don't remember the last game that had me screaming at my computer like this. I'm starting to figure out what I like and don't like in turn based strategy games, and one thing I absolutely don't like is invisible dice-rolls. I don't mind if a scenario is randomly generated, but I do want full control over my units. In Invisible, Inc., when you tell one of your agents to shoot an enemy, they shoot him. They don't try to shoot him. They shoot him. In Frozen Synapse your units' attacks are goverened by strict rules of sightlines, movement and timing. Even Steamworld Heist puts the responsibility of aiming your units' weapons in your hands(tho criticals are still determined by a dice-roll). If a game presents me with a scenario, gives me time to decide my next move, and I fail because I overlooked something, I'm fine with that. But if, like in the XCOM games, I fail because I ended up with a string of bad dice-rolls? That drives up the fucking wall. Oh sure, you can quickload, but that just leads to moments where I'm replaying the same turn over and over until all the numbers line up the way I like them, whilst shouting WE'RE GONNA KEEP DOING THIS UNTIL WE GET IT RIGHT GODDAMMIT

I really need to stop playing this now. It's not good for my sanity. Can anyone recommend other TBS games without dice rolls? Preferably ones that focus on the on-the-ground tactics rather than the high-level managerial stuff as well?
    Last edited by henke; 22nd Aug 2016 at 11:39.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Can anyone recommend other TBS games without dice rolls? Preferably ones that focus on the on-the-ground tactics rather than the high-level managerial stuff as well?
    I'll have a new Glade Raid build up soon-ish. 8) It's not quite without dice rolls, dodge directions are random...

Level 10,000 achieved

Thing What Kicks
    Psst, there's a thing that XCOM does that basically means re-loading makes no difference to the outcome if you try the same action over and over again. Can't remember if XCOM 2 does it as well, but basically, the game generates a seed at the start of the encounter that determines the outcome of all dice rolls. So rolls are pre-determined. Personally, I find that even more infuriating than random dice rolls every time.
    Basically, if you DO reload, try something COMPLETELY different. If you don't, because all dice rolls have been predetermined, that failed shot you're trying to make hit will fail every time.