Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: XCOM 2 Announced!!!!

XCOM 2 Announced!!!!

Link here.

Trailer:
    here

Enjoy .

Level 10,000 achieved
    I never finished the first game, so I'm surprised to see where the narrative has gone. So the aliens have taken over and you're basically playing as terrorists/freedom fighters this time around? That's pretty cool.

btw, listening to the excellent Three Moves Ahead podcast's episode about XCOM:EU right now, and it's making me wanna go back and finish the game.

Slightly disappointed that it's not a modern version of Terror From the Deep, but sounds interesting nonetheless.

Loved TFTD so I'm completely on the same page. Them switching things around to you being the invading force this time round though does make for a nice change of pace.

Moderator and Priest
    Squeal.

Squeal.

SQQQQEEEAAALLLLLL!

I hope it won't be just a reskinned EU. It looks very similiar. Good to hear stealth, looting and random levels will return but the mobile base? Screw that. And here I was hoping they'd bring multiple bases back... I'll still play it though.

And yeah, TFTD was awesome.

verbose douchebag
    Snakefucks +

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I never finished the first game, so I'm surprised to see where the narrative has gone.
    The ending itself was fairly average and felt like it was thrown together at the last minute -- one minute you are doing a choice of optional missions and then all of a sudden you have to board a mothership and save the world . It's still worth playing through that last mission though as the map offers some great tactical gameplay. As far as the ending is concerned, it didn't really point towards where this sequel appears to be going but I guess that doesn't really matter; I've never played any of the previous games but as far as XCOM is concerned the story definitely plays second fiddle to the gameplay.

Overall, while it was a little rough around the edges, it was one of my favourite games of 2014 and also plays great in tablet mode on my Surface Pro 3, so perfect for lazy, in-bed PC gaming!

Trying to remember if was TFTD or the first one where you had the snake enemies. Think it was the first one.

Hope they add some nods to TFTD in this one.

I've stopped playing XCOM Enemy Unknown once I tried out Xenonauts. I just couldn't go back, I tried recently but it bored me. I don't know if it's because of the static maps, because of a huge number of "gamey" mechanisms, because of the lack of a proper strategic layer or simply because I've played it way to many times. I just hope they make this new game with much deeper and more complex systems than the first one ever had (and frankly it didn't have them many).

Snakemen were from the first game.

Ah there we go .

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    The ending itself was fairly average and felt like it was thrown together at the last minute --
    LALALALALALADONTTELLME I just started playing it again! Picked up where I left off on my iPad, gonna finish it this time!

They completely ignore it in this new one anyway. Thought games stopped doing that a while ago. Many 90s RTS sequels used to do that.

Level 10,000 achieved
    So apparently this'll be a PC 'SCLUSIE at release. And it'll only have KB+M controls out the gate. Gamepad support added later. A bit suprising since the gamepad controls on EU were so excellent.

A bit suprising since the gamepad controls on EU were so excellent.
    Not for those who played it on K+M

Level 10,000 achieved
    The gamepad controls weren't excellent for those who played it with K+M? O... kay.

Hopefully they patch in touch controls again as well.

The gamepad controls weren't excellent for those who played it with K+M? O... kay.
    Yeah, you know, since the game was built around a gamepad it's obvious gamepad controls would be excellent... and K+B would suck.

verbose douchebag
    Well, I've pre-ordered a game for the first time since Borderlands 2. I've topped the 300 hour mark playing XCOM 1 since I discovered the Long War mod so I figure if I'm going to be an asshole, it may as well be with this.

verbose douchebag
    Seems I'm the one dickhead holding the torch for this thread, so here's a lengthy gameplay video: https://youtu.be/aIYQf5L4N2s

lol sorry. I've been keeping up on XCOM 2 news, but just not talking about it here. Angry Joe put up a gameplay video a few days ago.

Seems like this game (unlike the first) is going to be very time sensitive, in terms of needing to stop/slow alien projects in progress.

The weapon mod system looks good .

verbose douchebag
    I'm really looking forward to it.

Knowing what a time-sink this is going to be I don't think that I will get a chance to play it unless I somehow finish the 5-6 games that I want to complete before I go overseas on holiday. Have been really looking forward to this for some time.

verbose douchebag
    Despite still being fully engrossed in The Witcher 3, I'm super impatient for this game to be released. I really hope they allow pre-loading so I can play it a few milliseconds after it's out.
    Fuck.