TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls 3 will be a thing, infos leaked

Dark Souls 3 will be a thing, infos leaked

The hype is real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyRJ5u-L8qw

EDIT: Pics from the video: http://imgur.com/a/yEcES
    Last edited by Malleus; 5th Jun 2015 at 19:42.

I suggest viewing the pics only. The video is obnoxious.

Moderator and Priest
    There ain't nothing worse than a bunch of Gamin' Bros trying to force being cool.

Still, DS3. WOO!

It looks a lot like Bloodborne, which isn't a bad thing of course, but I hope that this isn't just a graphical overhaul and there is enough new content and direction to make this an inspired sequel. Speaking of content, I find it somewhat annoying to see those stats re the number of bosses etc. The sense of tension that I feel in anticipation of stepping through a fog gate or entering a new area would be diminished I think if I knew that I only have X number of bosses to go before reaching the end. Hoping that this is just those bozos speculating on the game.

Level 10,000 achieved
    WOO!

Tho seriously at this point I am just expecting a numbered sequel. Even Bloodborne felt like just more of the same. I like these games but newer entries will never have the same impact the first one did.

I'm all hyped up too! Looks like Miyazaki is back at the helm, which is nice

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    WOO!

Tho seriously at this point I am just expecting a numbered sequel. Even Bloodborne felt like just more of the same. I like these games but newer entries will never have the same impact the first one did.
    Well, if you count Demon's Souls as the first game, then I'd argue that the Dark Souls was better and more impactful overall. I don't have a PS4, so I haven't played Bloodborne, but I'm still optimistic that if Miyazaki's at the helm, it'll be special.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OtAVElUljE

EDIT: Changed trailer for official high quality one, and also:
    https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoEU/st...07068676665344
    (PC version confirmed)
    Last edited by Malleus; 15th Jun 2015 at 15:25.

Hmm... again with the giants. Not sure how I feel about that. Wait and see, I guess.

Moderator and Priest
    UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF OH GOD OH GOD!

Going by the tone of the trailer, this sounds like it'll be the last of the Dark Souls.

Not as good as some of their other trailers but I'm sure that they'll put a better one closer to the release date.

Hard to tell if this will be the last one given the series theme of endless renewal. As much as I love Dark Souls, I would hate to see it become a paint by numbers series so if it is the last one here's to hoping that it goes out with a bang.

Moderator and Priest
    The one thing that makes me think it's more a grand finale is the big focus on ash. As if the First Flame has been burning for so long, it's covered the whole world in it, with all the cities being built to rise above it.

With the underlying theme of the series being desperately staving off change, artificially keeping something alive that should've long since died, it makes sense. If I'm right, then the cycle of rebirth has all but destroyed the world. There's no gain to be made from it anymore, no new glories or golden ages. Just more ash. This game might be about ending the cycle, and truly bringing about the age of Dark.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 16th Jun 2015 at 01:26.

Don't steal the crown or Sleeping Beauty gets pissed off! And none of the things you do will matter!

Moderator and Priest
    Thanks. That gave me flashbacks of that bastard giant turtle from The Neverending Story.

And you just reminded me of the theme song from that movie. Now I can't get it out of my head, so I guess we're even

Moderator and Priest
    Great. You mentioned it. Now it's stuck in my head too.

nneeevveerrrennnndddiiingg sttoooorrr--eeeeee aah ah ahh ah ahh ah ahh ah ahh

Here are the first details re gameplay (no video sadly):
    • Areas are interconnected just like in the first Dark Souls
    • Boss shown in the demo: "Dancer of the Frigid Valley, a huge, spindly, dancer-like creature that moved like smoke from a candle; a graceful but unpredictable rhythm....it wielded a long, narrow fire sword that set the boss room aflame with every swing."
    • bosses have multiple stages where their movesets change
    • riposte is back
    • The newest combat feature is called the Ready Stance, which allows players to utilize devastating special abilities, like a powerful slash attack or an upward thrust that sends enemies flying into the air. These were special moves beyond the simple strong attacks you could do in other Souls games.
    • "He also kept quiet when asked about the giant, faceless knight at the end of the trailer, who Miyazaki referred to as the Lord of Cinder. "
    • "Everything about the game’s visuals and atmosphere, from the looming environments, to the droning ambient sounds in the background, to the design of enemies, levels, weapons, and armor just screamed Dark Souls 1."
    • "Miyazaki described the visual style they were going for as a kind of “withered beauty.” There was a moment in the demo that captured this perfectly. The player stood before the corpse of a dead dragon and watched as particles of dust and ash were swept off its body by the wind, illuminated in the rays of dying sunlight above."
      Source: IGN (There are also a few concept and ingame screenshots)

Looks like it is the final game after all: “But above all, we are blessed to have such a supportive and loving community, and we are happy to dedicate this final episode to them!”
    Some further details include:
    • "A sacrifice ritual allows you to enter other games, but puts a bounty on your head". Not sure how this is different from invading, unless it provides greater scope by allowing invaders to kill NPCs and other unreasonable acts (I hope not)
    • "It’s now possible to create bonfires". A risky move really, so hopefully this is fairly limited.
    • "The world can be altered in ways that change the bosses you fight"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1298705740897704881.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	2150
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1298705740946007217.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	2151

Quote Originally Posted by twisty;2290424
    [LIST
    [*]"He also kept quiet when asked about the giant, faceless knight at the end of the trailer, who Miyazaki referred to as the Lord of Cinder. "
    [/LIST]

Like Gwyn, Lord of Cinder? Maybe his predecessor, or Chosen Undead from the DS1 ending (which one?)

Vaati did a very good summary of the E3 presentation:

Interesting to hear that the development of DS3 commenced before DS2. It makes me wonder how much of the narrative of the series was planned during the development of DS1, versus what elements have evolved over time.

Level 10,000 achieved
    It began before DS2 was released. (turn on annotations in the video and you'll see Vaati correcting himself)

Sounds like the Weapon Arts works a bit like Bloodborne's alternate mode, or DS2's power stance. If it works with both single and dual handing, that should mean 4 different movement sets for each weapon then? Cool.

I think there were too many weapons, armour, rings etc. in Dark Souls games (especially in DS2 + DLCs) even considering various builds you could use. BTW, the same thing was with King's Field series. It actually even irritated me, I mean I kept finding new items literally behind every corner and being a perfectionist I had to read their description and look at characteristics, it distracted from gameplay. They could use like 5 times less number of weapons, and still there would be no lack of diversity. 50-80% of it were crappy anyway, which noone used.

And knowing the From way, I guess they'll try to double the number of stuff in the 3rd installment, which frightens me.

Moderator and Priest
    I agree with you somewhat. They don't need to add EVEN MORE weapons to the game, but going with 5 times less isn't the answer, either. I like the variety, and finding neat new stuff is always fun.

This might be especially true now that they're saying DS3 will have a heavier emphasis on open worlds and exploration than even the previous two.

The variety of weapons doesn't bother me personally, as I quite like the diversity of weapons. However I'm not much of a fan of many of the new items in DS2 that often do too much of the same thing. The various healing potions etc spring to mind. I'm hoping that they pare some of this back in DS3.