TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls 3 will be a thing, infos leaked

verbose douchebag
    It could be that no individual thinks there is need for that many weapons, but it might be that having fewer will mean that fewer people find a build that really does it for them (or several given how many people replay the game). The variety isn't there to more greatly please individuals but to increase the number (and diversity) of individuals who are pleased, if that makes sense.
    Last edited by faetal; 23rd Jun 2015 at 06:01.

I love the weapon variety. Seriously. When I play the Souls games, I tend to default into strength builds and my main weapon is usually some greatsword or other, but every now and then I like to switch to something more exotic to tackle a particular enemy or boss, or for some crazy PvP fun. So no, I don't want less gear

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    It could be that no individual thinks there is need for that many weapons, but it might be that having fewer will mean that fewer people find a build that really does it for them
    There are like 3-5 copies of weapons with nearly the same characteristics and requirements, the only difference maybe is how they look. Yesterday I spent 3 hours or so just picking new weapons that would fit my new build for the new game cycle burrowing in the huge stockpile that I accumulated, it was quite tiresome. No choice and too much choice are bad, even though not equally.

verbose douchebag
    Some people care about aesthetics. I'd say it's more realistic too rather than imagine that all of the inhabitants of your scary place went to the same weapon vending machine. Adds texture.

[EDIT] That said - I haven't played it yet. I just like the weapon variety in DkS so am extrapolating from there.
    Last edited by faetal; 23rd Jun 2015 at 09:27.

I love the variety of weapons and armor in DS2, even if it just means visual difference. I have my go-to weapons, but even if I'm never using a certain weapon or armor, it's cool to see unusual stuff or combination of equipment when encountering other players (in coop or pvp). It makes the characters unique. The more the merrier, I say.

I kind of agree with twisty on the consumables though. All I ever did was hoard them. Still, didn't bother me that much.

You don't need to pick up items in the souls games. Starter weapons and armor can easily carry you through the whole game when upgraded. Later weapons and armor offer only marginal benefits compared to basic equipment and the power differential is much lower than most games. Move set and mobility are of stronger importance when selecting equipment.

They've definitely upped the ante on the graphical detail this time. It looks amazing and am looking forward to seeing a HD version of this at some stage.

As far the overall look is concerned, it looks as though they are going for more of a Gothic vibe this time round, as reflected in the style of costuming, setting and Carmina Burana-esque background music. You can also see a lot of the Bloodborne influence in terms of the architecture and some of the settings.

Boss fights and melee look very Dark Souls; a good thing (I don't think that you can see any of the new movesets in the video?).The blood effects are a little overdone though.

The Kite Dragon is back!

Can't wait.

My body is ready.

It seems they upped the speed of fight again, and I actually don't like it. The speed was already too high in DS2, IMO, I barealy even could discern how bosses looked, there just wasn't time for that. And the amount of blood and lots of other details are directly inherited from Bloodborne. Also, they said DS3 would be more exploring-oriented compared to the previous parts, I wish they would somehow show that in the trailer.

PS: The first shakycam of the demo:

Last edited by 242; 5th Aug 2015 at 07:05.

16 minutes of gameplay

Yeah, it does look Bloodborney, a little bit. For example, in the way the places are more crowded and the city streets are pretty narrow and go up and down a lot. And the blood splatter does look a tad excessive too.

Moderator and Priest
    It does, but I'm not complaining at all. A bit of Bloodborne could make for some tasty spice in the DS soup.

Dark Souls 3 Network Stress Test (JP) Footage (3 hours). Same area as in earlier demos, but lots of multiplayer this time.

El Shagmeister

Woah, that's a lot of players joining the fight in co-op!

Makes you wonder...will the game adjust itself for increased numbers or will it already be quite brutal even when soloing?

Probably the latter in DS fashion...

verbose douchebag
    I got the impression that extra players joining the game upped the challenge, Borderlands style.

That has never been the case so far. In ealier Souls games only the bosses scaled with phantoms (higher HP in DS1, higher Defenses in DS2). I'd be surprised if they changed this. Besides, Scholar of the First Sin already allows three white phantoms.

Level 10,000 achieved
    A new video where one of the devs plays Dark Souls 3 as a Thief character in order to impress a girl. He shows off "quickstepping" and fast arrow shooting and she just can't believe her eyes! Good job, dev guy.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm surprised no one's posted this yet...

Apparently DS3 is going to have...surprise bosses.

Well it isn't a surprise now . Looks pretty amazing though.

Re the footage, the lines between Bloodborne and DR game play seem to have converged to the point where it is difficult to tell the difference between them. The thief video does look more ds'y than the tree boss one though.

Moderator and Priest
    That video might've ruined one, but I'm sure there are going to be more. The other boss we've seen videos of, it made something of a surprise entrance itself. No fog gates in this game, it seems.

Though it does look like it's a little faster paced than the previous DSes, it still looks to be a more deliberate game than Bloodborne was. The biggest import, besides the speed, seems to be everything bleeds out a ton of blood when you hit them.

Some of the animations, weapons and enemy types are also interchangeable with those from BB. While I love BB to bits, there is far less variety in atmosphere in its various locations than what are in the DS games so am looking forward to seeing what suprises will be offered in this final DS chapter.

Off-screen footage of the first boss and the first area, if anyone's interested:
    (I'll just link it, maybe the thumbnail is a spoiler, I don't know)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBNTZuU8lzU

Looks like a fairly easy first boss fight. That second stage was just weird and was over before I could really tell much about what was going on.

I think I'm nearing the stage where I will stop watching any more game play videos before I get a chance to play it as exploration has always been a big thing for me with games in general.

Moderator and Priest
    I skip through them myself. Watch enough to get a good idea of what it's all about, but turn it off before I spoil it for myself completely