TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls 3 will be a thing, infos leaked

Moderator and Priest
    Haven't watched it yet, but VaadiVidya has an early game review up. I expect it to be spoiler-laden, so consider yourself warned.

I'm wondering if I should buy this now, or wait for the "gold" version (e.g. Scholar of the First Sin equivalent) once that comes out.

By all accounts, the original releases of the previous two games weren't well-optimised for PC players on release, so for those it made sense to wait - I don't know what DS3 is supposed to be like.

It's certainly not as if I don't have plenty of other games in the backlog, I can afford to wait - and might not feel like playing it all a second time once all the DLC comes out.

Okay, this fucking trailer is just hilarious: http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/st...m?t=1459371622

...and it's totally an official one.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    ...and might not feel like playing it all a second time once all the DLC comes out.
    Then do what I did with DS2. Keep your character around, so you can play through them when the inevitable DLCs arrive.

And Malleus, that was...SO RAD!

Haha. That's the best trailer ever. Bought back so many memories of hiring videos and the awesomely silly trailers they used to make back then, particularly during the ninja craze.

Moderator and Priest

Reminds of me of some of my own mishaps (e.g. tomb of giants...).

Yep, very excited about this. Time to try and finish off as much of the Witcher 3 as I can before then.

Moderator and Priest
    Hey everyone! Steam is selling Dark Souls 3 Steam Controller Bundles a'la XCOM 2. For just $30 on top of the base price of the game (plus $10 S&H, that's where they fuck you), you can have a cool new controller!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Reviews are up, they're ok. http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...uls-iii?ref=hp

Polygon's Phillip Kollar was a bit disappointed in it tho. Giving it 7/10 and writing stuff like

For the third year in a row, the studio has pulled it off, and Dark Souls 3 remains a deep, complicated, fascinating experience. But it's also one with some big flaws, weaknesses that are more visible and harder to ignore than they've ever been. Dark Souls 3 isn't a failure, but it's also a long shot from the well-honed RPG experience I've come to expect from the series.
    Which is pretty much what I expected. Bloodborne and DS2 felt like more of the same, and this'll be no different. With the intense game-a-year release schedule they (or Bandai Namco) have set for themselves there won't be much innovation and quality will eventually suffer. I'll play it, and enjoy it, but I'm a bit saddened to see the Souls series go down the same path as CoD and Assassin's Creed.

Yes, and also available at a 30% discount for those who pre-ordered the game. Unfortunately it's not available for Australian steam subscribers for whatever reason. All I can do is add it to my wishlist otherwise I would have placed an order.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Which is pretty much what I expected. Bloodborne and DS2 felt like more of the same, and this'll be no different. With the intense game-a-year release schedule they (or Bandai Namco) have set for themselves there won't be much innovation and quality will eventually suffer. I'll play it, and enjoy it, but I'm a bit saddened to see the Souls series go down the same path as CoD and Assassin's Creed.
    Going by those reviews, it isn't that the quality is slipping, so much as we're getting too much of it, and it's starting to become rote. Even the more tepid reviews from Polygon and RPS heap a ton of praise on it, but end it all by saying that even with a few new tweaks to the recipe, it's still more of the same old cake.

I think it's safe to say that From has squeezed everything they can from the Souls series. I think they should end the things on a high note with this game, and move on to other things.

Hell, they should bring back Kings Field.

Well he has mentioned that DS3 will be the last in the series for some of the reasons you mentioned, so hopefully we won't see the series die a horrible death.

In another interview some time ago last year he expressed an interest in doing a sci-fi game, which would be really neat.

With over 200 hours spent with both Souls games I wouldn't mind if they abandoned the series, or the entire genre, for a few years at least. Knowing when to let go is a good thing.

Btw. Eurogamer gave DS III the Essential badge http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...souls-3-review

Edit: Also, if you want to see how Ian Highton sucks at this game (as in most games he plays), now it's a good time https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=IvKL55Ev0ZA
    Last edited by Judith; 4th Apr 2016 at 13:02.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    Well he has mentioned that DS3 will be the last in the series for some of the reasons you mentioned, so hopefully we won't see the series die a horrible death.

In another interview some time ago last year he expressed an interest in doing a sci-fi game, which would be really neat.
    Good. This attitude is something our bigger western developers should adopt. Taking something good, then running it into the ground with release after release after release only serves to limit your options in the long run, and kills your reputation.

...but then again, people are still buying COD games...

verbose douchebag
    This is the problem of a game which is TOO GOOD. Once you've broken the barrier, you can't provide the same shock again - just a continuation.

Well they could try to make the games more difficult, instead of making them easier every time. Especially since Dark Souls players have become so good at it. Also why they kept the shitty bonfires from 2 instead of 1 is beyond me. Definitely gonna wait before buying this one.

Sent from my XT1022 using Tapatalk

Moderator and Priest

I bought the Deluxe version a while back through Steam at a similar price I think to what GMG are offering (or perhaps I didn't pay enough attention due to the excitement). On a different note, I wonder how many expansions they plan to release for this.

Moderator and Priest
    More than one, definitely. The season pass deal makes me think they'll be offering up at least 3, like in DS2.

I preordered about two weeks ago when the -20% coupon worked on DS3 (it no longer does, so I guess I did it right ). So it was 48 GBP for the deluxe (out of 60 GBP).

Moderator and Priest
    What'll piss me off is the very likely likelihood of GMG offering up a 25% discount on the deluxe edition a day or two before release. I'll be sitting there thinking that if I JUST WAITED ANOTHER COUPLE DAYS....

Chakat sex pillow
    Life's too short for that. Live large and enjoy it.

*Buy me a copy of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided while you're at it, big spender.

Moderator and Priest
    Get your own damn manky.

Even if you ended up paying $80 for it, with over 200 hours of potential play time, you are looking at one of the cheapest and best value for money entertainment options available.

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, I know, but I'm just so damn cheap (within reason), I have to know I'm getting the most bang for my buck, even if there already is a lot of bang being given.