TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Summer 2015 FM Challenge

Southquarter.com/fms

Summer 2015 FM Challenge

Just gauging interest here, but what does everyone think about putting together another organized FM event? I'm trying to avoid the word "contest" and not coming up with much. I thought it would be fun to just do a laid back, casual thing where authors could just build smaller FMs and release them together. Uncadonego did this a few years back (it was an "un-contest"). No voting or anything like that. And no restrictions. Maybe just suggestions.

Off the top of my head, I would say target building something the size of the 10 rooms contest, or maybe one of Komag's earlier contest sizes (128K/256K total dromed units?). Maybe aim for releasing the missions the first week of September. I know it's summer and everyone's got stuff going on, but I would think in about 8 weeks we could all punch out something playable and decent. Don't try to make the next Broken Triad or Rocksbourg, just something small and fun.

Seems like there have been a decent amount of new people around lately too, this would be the perfect opportunity for a couple of novices to jump in feet first and get started on mission creation.

Opinions...thoughts...suggestions....?

Edit:

OK, it's official now - the Summer 2015 FM challenge is on. The "challenge" is to create a (ideally) small, basic level by the first week of September, something that can be released and is playable by the community. No restrictions, no themes, no guidelines. This is not a contest, there will be no voting or judging of any kind. It's just an opportunity to create a fun mission for people to play with none of the pressure or rules that authors would experience during a typical contest.
    Last edited by Brethren; 15th Jul 2015 at 10:44.

I was just thinking today that it would be a great idea to have a new contest before finally returning to my other WIP missions.

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

i had a idea for a mission that is done in distance,not a cube,this way it can be thinner but real long distance

an example would be journey to the center of the earth,you would start outside a cave/some kind of underground entrance,then you have to work your way deep and deep into the earth,and as you go the textures would change to show you getting deeper,what happens along the journey and at end is open to anything

i am just a bit sick of playing box shaped missions

also i had a idea where you start in a hell type place and work your way to the surface/heaven kinda a escape/etc

and a recreation of the mythical maze underground to escape the minotaur

and to bring a flash from the past ,you all can finally of a carnival fm's there was 2 made but never complete,but i am sure you all remember how much fun it could have been,the midway,rides/etc fits summer theme/house of mirrors/etc

Southquarter.com/fms
    @downwinder - you're misunderstanding the OP. We're not looking for specific mission ideas here, but for ideas regarding the "challenge" or "competition" or whatever you want to call it. And we're also seeing who is interested in participating.

I don't think most authors have any difficulty coming up with ideas for their missions, that's the easy part.

Pretty much. And yes, authors still prefer their own ideas.

DromEd Archmage
    Then, If I understood correctly, you don't want to organize a contest or challenge finaly, but somekind of event?
    A great 'rendez-vous' among mappers to present some short creations in the forum, isn't it?

The rest is pretty blur to me... :/
    You want this event to have some kind of restrictions, special rules and theme for the challenge?
    Just to see them with some common points or to see how people can works with it? ^^'

More details please!

Southquarter.com/fms
    Here is Uncadonego's post from 2009: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129470

No rules, no restrictions, no themes, no voting. Everyone can do whatever they want. The idea is just to release a group of smaller sized mission to the community at the same time.

I'm recommending that the missions are smaller and simpler, so there's no pressure to get something done and it forces you to work 30 hours per week in dromed. This is summer after all, and there are other things to do besides sit at your computer all day. These should be basic missions that feel thiefy but aren't overly complicated. Something you can pick up and work on for a few hours here and there. It probably should be primitive enough that it could be beta tested in a couple of days.

But that's just a suggestion, you can do whatever you want. The only real goal is to have something finished and playable by the first week of September.

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    It's probably a mistake, but I'd be up for it.

Count me in! I've been waiting for something like this, another "un-contest." No rules, no limitations; something where a first-time builder can release something simple but "play-able" and not be picked and torn apart for being small, short, simple, or using stock stuff (unless they deserve it ). The bar has just been raised so high with today's awesome, complex, beautiful missions; it's hard for newbies.

I like the idea of a bunch of authors releasing FMs at the same time. Something to look forward to. =) Not to mention a deadline to aim for.

On another note, I've thought it might be fun to have a 1MB (or whatever) challenge. The entire mission and resources couldn't be larger than X megabytes extracted.

DromEd Archmage
    Hmmm let's see... Perhaps I'm in, perhaps not...
    Consider that I could be there "Theorically". The rest will depends on the my chance. ^^

It sounds fun to me to make a nice little laid back mission. It also sounds like something that wouldn't pull me too far away from my WIP. I'm up for another small FM contest or 'uncontest'

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyGuy101 View Post
    It sounds fun to me to make a nice little laid back mission. It also sounds like something that wouldn't pull me too far away from my WIP. I'm up for another small FM contest or 'uncontest'
    Welcome back! Didn't expect to see you so soon.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Welcome back, Sneaky! I hope you make a mission for this un-contest.

Thanks! I'll for sure be making a fun little mission for this

looks like it's an un-contest contest....how fantastic is that

ps. welcome home Sneaky

i am sorry for jumping the gun,i just get excited when i hear about contests and kinda hope they use a idea that gets voted on

It's looking like the idea for this uncontest is that there is no idea. Authors are free to make whatever they want, they'll just try to meet the deadline and release them all together.

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    So because it's an uncontest, that means we can start right away? There's no rules man.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Exactly. I already started mine. I'm hoping as the weeks go by here, people will post screens of their progress too. Looks like we might actually have a handful of interested participants.

And yes, @downwinder, Tannar has it right, there's no voting here, and no idea that has to be agreed upon. It's freeform, do what ya want, when you want.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiMatter_16 View Post
    On another note, I've thought it might be fun to have a 1MB (or whatever) challenge. The entire mission and resources couldn't be larger than X megabytes extracted.
    So you propose an "ugly mission contest" as expansion packs can't be used either? I mean using them would be unfair, wouldn't it?

Now that's what I call an interesting idea...

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I don't think he meant that. Actually a reboot of the SSR contest would be cool now that the EP has lots of improved terrain textures as well as objects, although not this time around of course. Or as AM16 suggested, instead of excluding all non-stock resources, a small size limit on the ZIP file would be cool. It gives authors a little room to include custom music or voices, or a few textures, or whatever but they would have to manage those choices (along with the size of the mission itself) to stay under the limit.

I may try to do a little something for this, although I'd probably be better off sticking to working on the campaign, lest SlyFoxx hunt me down and pummel me with a large pillow.

He may not be the only one, you may have a line forming.

So I'm guessing that this is official now. If so, then what is the exact deadline?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast