TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Divinity: Original Sin 2

Moderator and Priest
    First impressions of the first 20 or so minutes vs. the early access beta.

For the most part, it's not vastly different. They've sanded down a few rough edges here and there, and thrown in an intro that gives you a little more insight into what happens during a pivotal moment during the opening scene. The biggest change I've seen thus far is the inclusion of full voice acting for everything and everyone. It feels like the same game with an extra layer of TLC thrown on top, which, you know, I guess was the point of the early access thing.

And some people might think me a traitor to the PC Master Race for saying this, but I really like the inclusion of out of the box controller support.

More coming soon!

Thing What Kicks
    Nice to see two new playable characters too. I'm having trouble picking which ones to go with.

Moderator and Priest
    Two new? Who's been added besides Fane?

Thing What Kicks
    Beast? He wasn't available during Character Creation for me. But I only tried the Alpha the day before release, so I could have missed him.

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, Beast. You could talk to him on the boat, but couldn't play as him, or find him anywhere in Fort Joy.

Chakat sex pillow
    One of the things the original D:OS wasn't so hot on was a compelling main quest. At least, we never saw much of it in the hours we put in, and what was there seemed kinda fluffy and inessential. How's it stack up this time?

Moderator and Priest
    Hard to say, since the opening scene, which you spend a goodly amount of hours in, is focused mainly on all the characters trying to escape from the island they're on, and all the goings-on surrounding it. The grander scheme is only hinted at during the first few hours of play.

But those few hints you do get point towards something potentially interesting.

Read this. See what you think.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 15th Sep 2017 at 05:37.

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, that reads like it's something I'm gonna have to purchase right quick, doesn't it?

Moderator and Priest
    It does indeed.

Kinda surprised that Chris Avellone wrote for this game. Though I don't know why, cuz by this point, it'd probably be easier to list the western style RPGs he hasn't written for.

It'll be a while before I play this (in spite of helping crowdfund it), mainly because I've got so many other things to play first. However, I like what I'm hearing re: the writing/story. I wanted to love Divinity: Original Sin but found its tone and especially its sense of humour grating. Having Avellone work with them makes it a lot more likely that I'll like this one for the qualities I look for in RPGs.

Chakat sex pillow
    It sounds like all the things I liked about the original are dialled up to 11 here. An NPC cat deciding to tag along and keep you company whilst staying separate from the party? Negating a crowd of angry dogs by not using your Pet Pal perk to talk with them or exploding them with a grenade, but by throwing a ball at them? A race of undead people with four race options and beard types? Sneery lizards? Sounds like its heart is in the rightest of places.

Thing is, with the first game I felt that while the game itself had personality, none of the characters did. I always thought that Divinity: Original Sin wanted to make me laugh or smile at the expense of creating memorable characters. If I don't have characters to relate to, humour tends to fall flat for me - doubly so if I'm supposed to remain engaged for 50+ hours. Because of that, after a while the humour started to grate rather than amuse me.

Chakat sex pillow
    Depends, I guess. Most of the party from D:OS were people I wanted to smack sideways every other conversation, but some of the characters in the world struck the right amount of daft. I may have wanted to kill Headless Nick, but he was already undead, so Jesh just summons him as a damage sponge for shits and giggles in a battle. It depends on how you deal with it. Many of the convos had too much text and drawn-out voice acting, but we skipped through those when it got tiresome.

But, all the animal voices are great: the mice are Irish* and begin a conversation by literally saying *squeak* out aloud, there's a French cock, and the cats are the right amount of languorous and uppity. There's also a frantic chicken I spoke to who was upset about being sacrificed when it didn't need to be. Of course, I took the bastard option there. She's still in my inventory, I think.

*or Welsh; I don't quite remember
    Last edited by Sulphur; 15th Sep 2017 at 07:22.

I'm kinda planning to get D:OS on PS4 sooner or later to play with my wife; I think that might be the best way to give it a second chance.

Thing What Kicks
    Well, while I've only really just started (and I'm already thinking of restarting with a completely custom character), The Red Prince in particular has massive amounts of character, even in his little pre-amble story monologue available during character creation. And Fane is already a stand-out in the game itself.

I've gone with Sibelle as my main due to a pop-up saying something about not getting the full experience if I didn't choose a pre-made character, but I'm already feeling like I'd rather go my own way and enjoy the pre-written stories of companions rather than play as one. I feel obliged to pick all the "Sibelle" dialogue choices playing as her, which I can't help feel is rail-roading my experience.
    It would also be nice to be able to choose Sibelle as a companion, as her story seems quite interesting (albeit a somewhat rote story of revenge).

I'm a bit miffed about the changes to pickpocketing.
    It was bad enough in the first game, where you had to have 2 skills to effectively pickpocket (Stealth and Pickpocketing), but now, thanks to NPCs noticing they've been robbed and then collaring your nearest available party member, you either have to engage the mark in conversation with one party member while your (unchained) thief pickpockets them and then runs away, or invest heavily in to Persuasion too in order to talk your way out of it, meaning 3 skills are required for a single action. And to rub salt in the wound, as with the first game, you can only pickpocket any given individual once.

Addendum: having to have 3 skills to effectively pickpocket wouldn't be so bad if the rate of skill point gain early on wasn't so damned stingy (another thing this game shares with the first).

Chakat sex pillow
    So does the interaction fail if the purloined item is on the collared party member? Are you supposed to pickpocket your own party member to ensure the NPC doesn't find it on their person?

Thing What Kicks
    So if all party members are chained, it doesn't matter if it's not your thief who the victim approaches (and even though they shouldn't know who's pickpocketed them, they always know they've been pickpocketed and only ever approach members of the player's party).
    You get three choices:

1: Submit to the request to search your bags.
    2: Talk your way out of it.
    3: Fight.

If the party member approached is chained to the thief, choosing option 1 always results in the stolen objects being found. It doesn't matter that the object(s) aren't in the inventory of the party member the victim's talking to. If party members are chained, the victim sees everything in all of their inventories.
    To make sure that doesn't happen, you have to unchain the thief from the rest of the party and run away somewhere you're sure the thief will be out of the victim's search range. And the best way to do that is, as mentioned above, engage the mark in conversation with one party member while your unchained thief robs them and runs.

I like it in concept, but in a game like this where skill points are rare and precious commodities, it means you won't really be an effective pickpocket until late in the game. And as there's no XP from successful attempts, only potential loot, it's a bitter pill to swallow. On top of that, the value of things you can pinch is once again limited by your Thievery skill level. The necessity for Persuasion and a high stat related to the Persuasion type you're going to try makes it all around too fiddly.

What I mean there is that if you choose option 2, you get several options where success is based on some aggregate of your Persuade skill and ability scores: Wit, Intelligence, etc.

So to successfully pickpocket and get away with it without playing the stupid run-away game every time, you have to have Stealth, Thievery, Persuasion and a high score in the ability you choose to make the Persuasion check against.

I'm going to try and make a character like that, but I suspect they'll be critically gimped for a LONG time.

Oh, and NPCs even detect after a while that they've been successfully pickpocketed while engaged in conversation with other party members, and break off the conversation to look around for suspects.

I appreciate the attention to detail, but it doesn't necessarily make it fun to play.
    Last edited by Malf; 15th Sep 2017 at 12:19.

Chakat sex pillow
    Thanks for the detail. I always treated chaining characters as a sort of convenience feature for pathing, I'd never guessed it played into the mechanics that way. It does sound pretty painful in that form, but I guess the idea is to discourage it pretty extensively, both by removing XP from the equation and tying the items + getting away with it down to so many stats.

Moderator and Priest
    I shouldn't have laughed as hard at this as I did...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hand.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	2403

Moderator and Priest
    RPS seems to like it.

They also address my one biggest complaint about both this and the game. Due to the fact that the combat system provides about a billion and one ways to incapacitate someone, it can suck when you're facing off against a much larger group of opponents, and end up getting chewed up in 3 rounds because they're faster than you, better positioned, and know how to knock you down, stun you, electrocute you, or whatever else before you even have a single chance to move.

Though they also do a good job of explaining the joys of the combat system, too.

Remember that time I made it rain knives and then electrified the blood of the people caught in the knife rain?

Yes, and what about the time you blessed a fire so that it healed everyone and then somebody else made it rain actual water but the water was poison and we didn’t know what was hurting us or healing us anymore?

Thing What Kicks
    I finished Fort Joy last night.

It's absolutely brilliant so far, but it's not without problems. There are a LOT of quests that don't finish when you've completed all of the objectives, and lots of situations where how to move forward is unclear. The journal doesn't really help either, as it displays quest progress as you complete stages, not in quest sequence. And as you can complete quest stages out of order, this makes for a VERY unreadable journal.

There have been lots of times I felt I should be doing more to help particular characters, but there has been no way of doing so. And checking online after getting to the end of my tether, I've found that there really is nothing more to do to help those characters.

There's some things you can do that require you to use an incredibly rare resource that then don't reward you, potentially cutting you off from being able to complete more important quests that do reward you.

But all that aside, this is even more open than the first game, with even more ways to approach any given problem. And as far as I can tell, EVERYONE can be killed.

Although that bloody sick elf Verdas in the dungeon that you can't appear to do anything with at all reports as having been important if you kill him (and that's one of the main examples of something feeling unresolved or possibly even unfinished).

It's a little frightening how broken the quest scripting is in the opening act, considering that that part was in the early access for a good while so it's reasonable to assume it'd be the most polished. Must be a real wildland past that.

I didn't get along with the first game at all, but so far this one is much better. Most importantly the groanworthy dad joke humor is gone. I don't know if it worked better in Dutch, but the tone was way off for me.

Thing What Kicks
    Oh, by the way, I know Renz is playing the game on GOG; Renz (or any other GOG players for that matter), when you launch, do you get an error pop up telling you the disk isn't in the drive? It doesn't stop the game from launching when you click any of the buttons, but it's odd to see.

Moderator and Priest
    Nope. Other than some quests not being marked as complete in the journal after finishing them (which doesn't bother me much, since I don't delve into the journal all that often), it's been a smooth, bug free experience for me.

And Malf, I never found anything to do with Verdas, either. I think he might be important in the sense that a lot of other NPCs know him, and the fact you've met him can be brought up in some conversations.

Thing What Kicks
    Okay, there's a VERY interesting thing that happens when you leave Fort Joy.

Basically, a massive fight with four important NPCs involved (plus trash mobs), two on each side, and I suspect that all of them could potentially die. One did in fact the first time I tried this, but I reloaded. The interesting thing was, it wasn't a Game Over event.

I could see this having massive ramifications on the storyline depending on who you let die or who you manage to kill.