TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Life is Strange

Life is Strange

has anyone been playing this?

Chakat sex pillow
    Everyday.

For reals though apparently it's pretty unique? I know some folks (*cough* Jesh *cough*) who quite like it and can enthuse about it in detail.

Downloading right now, all five episodes are pretty cheap (20 $/EUR).

Level 10,000 achieved
    Seems pretty cool, but out of the last 4 adventure games I've started(Broken Age, Gemini Rue, Wolf Among Us, the first Blackwell game) I've yet to finish one. Starting to realize that adventure games ain't my thing.

Just finished the last episode, and this is a GOTY for me, despite some flaws. It's really something different. It touches so many subjects, has this incredible wacky story, great characters, and many great moments throughout the story, thanks to good writing and excellent voice acting. You may find the final episode somewhat disappointing, but the whole journey is totally worth it. Now I'm sad because I know the whole story, and I kind of wish I didn't

I can't remember whether I bought this on PC or PS4, but I think it'll be one of the next games I play, and definitely the next adventure.

First 2 episodes were rather boring. For now, The Walking Dead f.e. seems more involving than this one. Plus I don't like this hipster theme.

For reals though apparently it's pretty unique?
    If one didn't play The Walking Dead (exactly same mechanics), or Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Fahrenheit than yes, it's unique.
    Last edited by 242; 5th Nov 2015 at 10:30.

Chakat sex pillow
    I've played most all of those, and they're hardly what I'd call unique either. I was talking about its general theme, which seems to have only been dealt with in one game prior to this, and that's Gone Home.

So I played a bit of the first episode, and I can pretty much guarantee that if Gone Home wasn't your kind of thing, this isn't going to be either. LIS starts off with this hook-y gameplay gimmick - you can rewind time at will. But while it is deployed as an obvious gameplay gimmick (you fucked up, now rewind and unfuck up), it also does some quiet, interesting things with it. Choices you make either hide or reveal things about the characters, and not in wholly predictable ways.

And it's in the quiet and interesting things that it seems to shine; it's not the big, brash moments that stand out, but the little ones like exploring a house and reliving past memories of being best friends with someone, compared to the immediate contrast and distance of the present day. Cringey teenage vernacular being deployed without irony. Having little (or big) things prick you about your choices even when you try to make the 'right' ones, and trying to live with that.

It's definitely a slow-burn sort of game. I may be wrong - I haven't even finished the first episode yet! - but it's more about being in the headspace of a shy, slightly repressed teen and exploring the what ifs and the could have beens rather than fighting for survival or solving a murder mystery. Maybe it could be about those too, though. But I'd still be more interested in its ability to take my memories of how we were at that age and make them resonate with whatever's happening on the screen. And maybe that's the best compliment I can pay it.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 5th Nov 2015 at 14:40.

I just finished the 3rd episode and the game seems more cramped than other games with the same game mechanics. So far there were only 6 or 7 tiny areas where the game took place, it tried to compensate that with TONS of items for checking or reading. It's like 80% of the gameplay time you check various items in tiny locs, quite tiresome, and only 20% you do other things. There were no real puzzles or thrill moments so far, except maybe in the very end of the 3rd episode.

JFYI, I love Fahrenheid and HR, and I like The Walking Dead, at least the first season.

I'm not an English native so YMMV, but I like it as a portrait of a small American town, and how it depicts the life and problems of kids in high school/college. I never took the teen slang thing seriously, I thought you can hear this post-ironic wink wink nudge nudge in their voice. The gameplay is basically The Longest Journey: you talk to people, you get to know them and you solve some (relatively simple) puzzles. It's a coming-of-age story that gets from warm to weird, dark, humorous, sentimental to all things in-between. The gameplay is quirky, and pacing is uneven (slow at times), but that sort of reflects Max's personality. IMO they could easily do this without supernatural elements, but the time rewind feature's role is also to emphasize the theme of growing up and aspects of adult relationships in general (without spoiling much, Greek tragedies say hi).

The thing I liked the least was the finale of the 'mystery' plot. Devs kind of fell into a trap here. This part of the story gets 'big plot twist you couldn't see coming', as there were (almost) no clues pointing to it. As a result, you get a cheap surprise, and typical 'bad guy presents his secret motive and becomes a parody of himself' scene.
    Last edited by Judith; 5th Nov 2015 at 18:47. Reason: In before I 'ruin' something for Ice, Ice Baby once again...

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    you can rewind time at will. But while it is deployed as an obvious gameplay gimmick (you fucked up, now rewind and unfuck up), it also does some quiet, interesting things with it. Choices you make either hide or reveal things about the characters, and not in wholly predictable ways.
    I haven't been very interested in this game, but this makes it sound a bit like the Remedial Chaos Theory episode of Community, which also uses alternate timelines to reveal some interesting truths about it's characters, and suddenly I'm kinda interested.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    I'm not an English native so YMMV, but I like it as a portrait of a small American town, and how it depicts the life and problems of kids in high school/college. I never took the teen slang thing seriously, I thought you can hear this post-ironic wink wink nudge nudge in their voice. The gameplay is basically The Longest Journey: you talk to people, you get to know them and you solve some (relatively simple) puzzles. It's a coming-of-age story that gets from warm to weird, dark, humorous, sentimental to all things in-between. The gameplay is quirky, and pacing is uneven (slow at times), but that sort of reflects Max's personality. IMO they could easily do this without supernatural elements, but the time rewind feature's role is also to emphasize the theme of growing up and aspects of adult relationships in general (without spoiling much, Greek tragedies say hi).

The thing I liked the least was the finale of the 'mystery' plot. Devs kind of fell into a trap here. This part of the story gets 'big plot twist you couldn't see coming', as there were (almost) no clues pointing to it. As a result, you get a cheap surprise, and typical 'bad guy presents his secret motive and becomes a parody of himself' scene.
    Yup, I agree with most of that, or will when I'm done with it (haven't read the spoilers). It looks like it's a semi-grounded tale of growing up with a less unhinged take on some of the elements of Twin Peaks from my current vantage point in the narrative.

henke: haven't seen that episode of Community, but you should chat up with Jesh because he's finished it and rather seems to like it. Should be able to help you pinpoint whether it'll be to your taste.

It was also a surprise for me that Chloe is voiced by Ashly Burch. I didn't recognize her throughout the entire first episode. Looks like she came a long way from Hey Ash series and Tiny Tina in Borderlands 2. AFAIK, she's self-taught, so that's even more impressive.

Just picked LIS episode 1 during the sales and my impressions are very mixed. On one hand, I dig the story and think the game has a lot of "soul" especially in the relationship between Chloe and Max. Walking through the spaces with the lovely music, beautiful art style and all the details feels really genuine. I am really curious what happens next, and I like the pseudo-Twin-Peaks vibe developing.

However, the whole young-teenager-hipster theme has me rolling my eyes. Perhaps because my HS experience was different, but somehow I'm not tapping into it, and I really dislike the actual written bits like the journal. It feels so forced, as if the devs are trying way to hard to portray a young modern-age girl with all the lingo and the speech. Part of it comes with the territory, but it just feels like too much after an hour.

I kind of want to know what happens next, but I don't know if I want to actually play it any more. Maybe should just watch some LPS.

Question: How much do your choices matter in the long run? Do they significantly alter the story or more just smokes and mirrors ala Telltale games? And does the time rewind mechanic ever get more involved than occasional "you fucked up, rewind and unfuckup" linear puzzles?

I haven't finished the game myself, but apparently there are some pretty major things that can go differently, and yes, the time mechanic becomes pretty important in the story.
    Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Except at the ending, it doesnt matter. Really bummed me out the last episode, it was terrible.

Oh, that's disappointing. I was looking forward to other playthroughs to see how it would pan out with different choices.
    Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

I'm probably almost done with Ep 1, and I'm enjoying it well enough, but so far it's grabbing me less than the Telltale games I've played recently. I think I'll need to get used to the world and characters of the game.

And it's me again. (I know, I could rewind time and post this instead of my first post...)

I've just finished episode 2... and I'm sad to say that I'm not feeling it yet. I think it's mostly the writing and, as a consequence, the characters; it just never rings true. Every time I feel I'm getting close to finding the characters credible and even engaging, there's a clunky line that just feels off, and that happens too often for my taste. Comparing this with the Telltale games I've played: The Walking Dead has some problems too, for instance the character and facial animation that's serviceable at best (practically every TT character overacts and has the same specific facial expressions to indicate key emotions - they might just as well put on different masks for Fear, Anger, Suspicion and Relief), but the writing is strong and the performance hits it home. To my ears, the characters in Life is Strange don't sound like teenagers, they sound like they were written by adults with a sketchy grasp of what teenagers sound like.

It's not like I'm hating the game - I'm somewhat intrigued by the plot and curious to see where it'll take me - and I definitely haven't given up on it, but so far at least I'm simply not seeing the superlative praise this got in some places.

Trust me, this game resonated quite well with teenagers, my daughter is 17 and a lot of her gaming friends love it. Its not supposed to be realistic, almost a fantasy version of what it is. As an adult male I felt kinda creepy playing it at times, but the game mechanics and world building (plus the soundtrack) are very good.
    Beats the telltale style of adventure hands down, would like to see a game in the style of this but a different setting.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that word, 'realistic', and that's not what it is for me. Something can be stylised and believable, yet I don't really, or at least not consistently, believe in these characters. I don't care about Max or Chloe (yet), and it usually doesn't take all that much for me to care about characters in fiction. I like and even love a bunch of teen stories with stylised dialogue, from The Breakfast Club via Buffy to things like Easy A and Veronica Mars, but this one isn't clicking. I wish it was.

Ep 3 + 4 are definitely the best, narrative wise, but if you arent feeling it by ep 2, I doubt you will change your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    To my ears, the characters in Life is Strange don't sound like teenagers, they sound like they were written by adults with a sketchy grasp of what teenagers sound like.
    This was my biggest beef, especially in the written parts like the diary or notes. Just felt like they were trying to hamfist as many LOLcats and memes in as possible.

Chakat sex pillow
    I doubt any of us would be able to tell if the 'teenspeak' is accurate or not, because I don't believe any of us apart from PigLick actually have or hang around teenage kids. Whether you actually like it or not is up to individual preference, but I must say that apart from jamming 'hella' into awkward places, it didn't really bother me. I prefer parsing the narrative on an emotional level, and it functions well enough from that perspective.

I read an article a while ago that mentioned the teenager speak, apparently it's accurate to northern California, especially the use of 'hella'.