Congrats on the release, Russ! And thanks for the Halloween treat!
This is a very, very small mission I began in 2003 and worked on only occasionally, but I decided a week ago to finish it for Halloween since it's got a nice spooky atmosphere.
A hundred miles east of The City, on the coast atop high cliffs, lies an ancient tomb which is one of the last remaining vestiges of the Ruthymian culture which occupied these lands centuries ago. You have long considered going there to plunder its wealth, but due to its age, have generally assumed that any treasure was likely scavenged ages ago.
Then recently, you came across the writings of a Professor Albrecht Hinatharxus, who died nearly 20 years ago and was The City's most respected expert on the Ruthymians. This passage in the article caught your eye:
It appears to have been the custom to build a second, well-hidden treasure chamber in most tombs used for royalty, and King Abedzen should have been no exception. The chamber entrance was typically opened via a clever mechanism disguised with a puzzle. Upon exploring the tomb some 7 years past, however, I could find no trace of it, although I know it was there, probably still full of Ruthymian artifacts.
Even more curious, upon instructions in his last testament, Hinatharxus himself was buried in the graveyard outside of Abedzen's tomb. Perhaps it's time to pay a visit to the good professor, and the old king...
- This mission REQUIRES NewDark v1.23 or higher.
- This mission requires a lot of interaction between objects in your inventory and objects in the world. If an object moves out in front of you when you frob it from inventory, it probably has such a use, and typically will be used on an object in the world which highlights but appears to do nothing when you frob it.
- Take clues seriously, whether spoken by Garrett or in the form of new objectives. It is possible to get into a situation where the mission can't be completed and requires a restart if you're not careful. Given the tiny size of the mission, this doesn't represent a significant time investment, but you should still take care and put thought into your actions.
- You have a new light tool in this mission, a small number of glowstones. They work very similarly to flares: frob in inventory and it becomes a lit object you can drop or throw, except it stays lit forever. You can pick them back up, but cannot douse them once lit and cannot return them to inventory, so pick a lit one up only to move it. Of course you are fully lit and exposed when holding one, and they make noise when dropped or thrown, so use with caution, but this mission is quite dark so you may find them useful. Note: They will also highlight things in the mission which may spoil future events, such as making traps and secret doors noticeable, so if you prefer to be surprised, you may want to avoid using them. Just a fair warning.
Textures: Eshaktaar, Vigil and Morrgan, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, T2skies, and the EP2
Objects: Daraan, CoSaS, Vigil, R Soul, NamelessVoice, Saturnine, Targa, and the EP2
Voice of Garrett: SlyFoxx
Ambient Music: Steve Roach - Rapt In Darkness, Below Always, Deadwood
Ambient Sounds: Sounddogs
Thanks to the Testers: Tannar, Nightwalker, Random_Taffer, and freddyfox
Update: Version 1.1 released Feb 2 2016
This update has no mission changes, but merely includes the necessary scripts which were left out of the original. This only affected players who don't already have them installed. If you use Tafferpatcher to install T2, you already have them but downloading this update won't hurt anything.
Update: Version 1.2 released Mar 5 2016
Updated to include French translation by Apiai.
Last edited by Yandros; 6th Mar 2016 at 10:53. Reason: Updated for v1.2
Congrats on the release, Russ! And thanks for the Halloween treat!
Link not working
Try it now, fortuni. Brethren added an extra underscore in the URL he sent me, but the one in the original post works for me now.
Many thanks to you Yandros for this new Fm !
Congratulations on the release, Russ! It was a lot of fun to play.
Since we are supposed to have crappy weather tomorrow, the entire region decided to move trick or treating up to tonight. Seriously. So, no Thief until later, much later and I need to finish Cardia's latest.
I'm going to save this for tomorrow. I'll be home alone in the rain & dark. Sounds perfect!!
fun mission,thank you making it
Last edited by downwinder; 30th Oct 2015 at 21:02.
Stuck at the beginning, i have used the book inside the coffin to translate the writing at the sealed door wall what am i suppose to do now?
You need to figure out how to get into the tomb now.
Hint 1: Find a suitable tool.
Hint 2: Figure out what to do with it to open the door.
Full spoiler: Find the crowbar in the corner of the graveyard, behind a small crypt. At the main tomb entrance, notice that the gap on the right side of the door highlights. Frob it with the crowbar to pry the door open.
Thanks! Was hoping for some Halloween ones this year
Finished it, it's a decent small sized mission. It's greatest strength is its presentation, more specifically the lighting and contrast used throughout the mission. The puzzles weren't that bad, though it's a bit hard to see where you can use the crowbar and falling into a hole to get some hints is counter intuitive too. I also didn't like that the tokens required a bit too much pixel hunting, though it was offset by having lights that burn forever and the small size of the area you have to look in. It's enjoyable, and I definitely look forward to what you're releasing next!
Thanks Dev_Anj, glad you enjoyed it. Definitely my design focus was on atmosphere and the puzzles, and perhaps creating a sense of uneasiness or fear, more than the usual stealth.
Enjoyed the atmosphere and the focus on light puzzle solving. Few notes;
1) The tomb door edge and crowbar were difficult to notice. I assumed a crowbar would likely be near the smaller tombs left behind from possible grave robbers, but many times it never caught my eye - blended into the scenery somehow. Might be the whiteness, or I'm just blind.
2) Loved the other man sneaking in and his eventual fate. Missed it the first time, which is fine, only figured something was up when I saw a corpse near the start that wasn't previously there.
3) After entering the tomb, the very first broken ceiling hole in the corridor can be climbed out from using a rope arrow on the wooden beam. Can get to some unwanted places around the outskirts.
4) I personally don't have any problems being forced into the giant hole except it looked like a death trap than a necessary venture, especially without any safety measures beforehand. I'd be interested in knowing how many players jump down there as a last resort.
Thanks for the new release, Yandros!
I really enjoyed this one. I had trouble with opening the professor's coffin.
Fen, that's because you jumped in and tried to open the lid while standing on it...
I find that out way near the end of the video. It's that old video game logic thing again. I'm so used to container-like objects being unblockable when they open, I never even thought to try opening it from the side.
I'm so trained on video game logic that sometimes the most obvious real-world logic passes me by completely.
Beautiful mission with good puzzles. I'm a little stuck under, but 30 minutes passed. It weighs a lot, but, really, very short. But professionalism does not spend on drink, and it is felt. It gives pleasure.
Buses all arriving at once. Thanks, Russ - will gird some loins before tucking in.
Hi Russ, and thanks for this treat !
I left the NVDifficultyDebug script on the starting point, that's all. That message only appears if you have the debug script OSM in your T2 directory, but it does no harm.
Fen, I finished watching your LP and it was fun as always (but still frustrating to see you miss things the first time through, but that's true of any LP). You happened to miss the first trap which was another fireball trap just outside the treasure room - the pressure plate is in the middle of the corridor, guess I should have made it on the sides.
Thanks to clearing and Lord Soth for the additional mirrors, first post has been updated.
I'm going to play this one at night. Congratulations on the release!