TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: T2FM: A Job Well Done (30th Oct 2015)

Thanks!

Need a hint please.

I have been just about everywhere, including a couple of places I shouldn't and got 2500 loot.
    I have taken the key from the thief in the pub.
    I have no necklace - need the chest key.
    I have no sceptre.
    I have no note.

Where do I need to go?

unable to get through open door

I got the thieves key and I've opened the door in the basement of the building, but I cannot get through the door opening. I'm able to frob the first door in the hallway behind the metal door I unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsie1 View Post
    I got the thieves key and I've opened the door in the basement of the building, but I cannot get through the door opening. I'm able to frob the first door in the hallway behind the metal door I unlocked.
    Did you get the necklace and/or the scepter?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_doe_nz View Post
    Did you get the necklace and/or the scepter?
    I only got the neclace. Am I supposed to have both items before i can get in?

Btw. when I said that I'm able to frob the first door, means that I can open it from the metal door frame, but I can't lean past the metal door
    Last edited by Woodsie1; 7th Nov 2015 at 17:51. Reason: additional info added

Quote Originally Posted by frobbin hood View Post
    Need a hint please.

I have been just about everywhere, including a couple of places I shouldn't and got 2500 loot.
    I have taken the key from the thief in the pub.
    I have no necklace - need the chest key.
    I have no sceptre.
    I have no note.

Where do I need to go?
    The necklace is in the basement of Fonsbury's.

The note is in Whinford's, in a locked desk. Key is nearby.

You do not need a chest key to get the necklace, the chest should be either unlocked or pick-able. You will need a key to the door of the room it's in, which the patrolling guard nearby carries.

- prjames

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsie1 View Post
    I only got the neclace. Am I supposed to have both items before i can get in?
    Nope, you will swap the necklace for the sceptre. In addition to the necklace, you need the note proving it's valuable.

- prjames

Quote Originally Posted by prjames View Post
    Nope, you will swap the necklace for the sceptre. In addition to the necklace, you need the note proving it's valuable.

- prjames
    Thank you for your reply prjames

But the problem I'm facing right now is that I'm not able to get through an open doorway. The doorway the thieves key unlocked. Is this normal?

Woodsie, you need to find the proof that the necklace is valuable before you can go in.

Hint:
    A note in Fonsbury's basement mentions someone called Bromptorly doing a valuation on the necklace. If you check your map you won't see his name, but a jeweller's is marked, so there may be a connection.

Direct:
    In the jeweller's is a note saying he's sent a letter to Whinford, so you have to go to her mansion. It's in a bureau on the top floor, at the top of the round staircase. The key is nearby.

Unfortunately there was a very minor bug that prevented a VO playing, and that would have mentioned what's in the first spoiler. I'm uploading an updated version of the FM for new players, but people with 1.1 who don't want to restart should just carry on as before.

edit: update is up, see first post.
    Last edited by R Soul; 7th Nov 2015 at 20:06.

Thanks a lot R Soul.

I can rest easy now when I know it is going to be all right once I get the things in order first.

Thanks prjames.

For some reason, I didn't try picking - I assumed I'd need a key. Doh!!!

Also, I'd walked past that desk several times without thinking it would open!
    Last edited by frobbin hood; 8th Nov 2015 at 13:27.

Great mission, R Soul - thank you for all the hard work! Only just got the new dark V1.23 working but really glad I did.

Loved all the exploring, the city layout and the no-alert challenges. The map was essential but really good - stopped me getting totally disoriented. Second time thru was also great fun.

Found 4 Easter Eggs with some 3D exploring although I have no idea where the one in the 1st part may be!

I don't think the one in mission 1 is possible, but if you can get onto the building with the sign, you'll see it. It's the same sort of thing as the others.

I finally got a chance to download and play this FM. Everything looks great so far and I can't wait to explore more!

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    I don't think the one in mission 1 is possible, but if you can get onto the building with the sign, you'll see it. It's the same sort of thing as the others.
    Thanks for the hint/spoil R Soul! Once I knew where to focus I was able to find it but accuracy was pretty critical .

Classical Master 2008
    This was quite impressive! The city was very nicely realised - it is delightful how many different ways you can infiltrate your targets, and how many different planes you can play on in specific locations. I particularly liked the area around the Lady's palace, and following the trail of blood - so many rooftopping opportunities! And all this with consistently high production values. Looks good, sounds good, plays good.

If I wanted to be critical, I would mention that the streets are perhaps just a little bit too empty and clean, which is often a problem with missions that use high-resolution assets. But with the size of the level, what's really impressive is how it came together as it did. Also, the main plot is best approached on its own terms - trying to break it did result in some backtracking, but the only one to blame for that is me, plus it was enjoyable backtracking.

Thanks for making this!

Thanks Melan. Xorak did a most of the architecture around there. It took me a while to figure it out too.

Keeper of FMs

A Job Well Done is appropriately named since this FM is indeed very well done. I had a rollicking good time climbing all over the place and exploring. I loved the multiple paths to various areas which makes this one very replayable. In fact, I just finished my third time through (2 normal, 1 hard) and was able to take an entirely different path each time. I'm still missing a tiny bit of loot and only found 2 Easter Eggs, so I'll have to have another go, this time on Expert. The overall feel is definitely classic Thief, and rooftop & exploration missions are always my favorites. The difficulty was very balanced as I was challenged at many points, such as the jump from a pitched roof to enter the jeweler's, but not frustrated at all. I chuckled at Garrett's comments on the other thieves and their dropped loot and the blood trail.

My only minor criticism is that the city was too clean, but that is, I think, a function of all the beautiful New Dark textures which still amaze and sometimes distract me since I've been away for quite some time. This made the city itself feel a bit sterile, and I do miss the grittiness of the original textures, but this is purely a cosmetic issue which did not affect my enjoyment in the least. Old dogs, new textures. "Hey, you kids! Get off my lawn!" And all that. LOL

The game play was superb no matter the textures and objects used and the hours playing well spent. Thank you for A Job Well Done!

Just reporting in to say I'm having a wonderful time. Missions like this one make me feel like butter on a hot English muffin....soooo chock full o' thiefy goodness!

What a woderful mission! Thank you very much for yet another classic Thief experience .

I can't figure out how to get to the pub. Is it possible to get there easily from Fonsbury's?

Yes. Up and over.

Go through the building to the south (via the window) then go north and drop down. There are two shutters you can open.

I made it to the area north of the pub, with the wooden walkways, but still can't figure out how to get inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Jah View Post
    I made it to the area north of the pub, with the wooden walkways, but still can't figure out how to get inside.
    Use a rope arrow and descend to the ground in this area. There's a window you will open with thieves inside. Don't alert them!

- prjames

A French translation has been added. See the links marked with a * in the first post. If all the mirrors get updated with this, I'll remove the *s.