TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Give Me Deus Ex

Meh; way too much attention to something that barely happens. Fast ranged deaths in Deus Ex are rare. In both cases (pistol and assault rifle) the instant or virtually instant death is overwhelmingly more likely to happen due to a failed stealth attempt. If you hit someone with a baton (usually because you aimed for the head like a sensible person) and they don't go down, they turn around and you die.

If you're running around Liberty Island with a bunch of pistol NSF chasing you, they're almost certainly going to run out of ammo (or take out your legs or chest) before they get a head shot in. If you stand still or get really close, it's another matter. I've played WAY more than 20 games of Deus Ex, and I didn't even know a pistol could one-shot you at range. I tested it and it's true, but I had to stand still.

The question for pistol/head damage should be, what do you want to happen if someone gets detected at point blank? That's what it's mostly affecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Meh; way too much attention to something that barely happens. Fast ranged deaths in Deus Ex are rare. In both cases (pistol and assault rifle) the instant or virtually instant death is overwhelmingly more likely to happen due to a failed stealth attempt. If you hit someone with a baton (usually because you aimed for the head like a sensible person) and they don't go down, they turn around and you die.

If you're running around Liberty Island with a bunch of pistol NSF chasing you, they're almost certainly going to run out of ammo (or take out your legs or chest) before they get a head shot in. If you stand still or get really close, it's another matter. I've played WAY more than 20 games of Deus Ex, and I didn't even know a pistol could one-shot you at range. I tested it and it's true, but I had to stand still.

The question for pistol/head damage should be, what do you want to happen if someone gets detected at point blank? That's what it's mostly affecting.
    It sounds like you haven't given the combat playstyle a try. Pistol instakill headshots on realistic are pretty common at close to medium ranges if you're always engaging them loudly. And yes, they even rarely get a lucky shot at long ranges.

I tested it and it's true, but I had to stand still.
    Makes no difference. It's tracefire/hittrace. It performs a calculation based on a number of variables (none being player or NPC movement speed) and traces from the NPC/weapon to the calculated hit location, which is all done pretty much instantly. If the computer says you're gonna suffer a headshot before the NPC has technically even fired there's nothing you can do about it at that point.

I just remembered that torso pistol shots actually one hit killed you too, but no other weapon (except the rifle or explosives of course).

14 * 2 * 4 = 112
    That's pistol base damage * headshot or torso multiplier * realistic difficulty multiplier.
    Whereas 1 shotgun or assault gun bullet was 3 * 2 * 4 = 24, so all five bullets (shotguns fired five pellets, and assault gun had five round burst) had to hit the same body part to instakill which are very, very slim odds, especially in the case of shotgun users as they had such poor accuracy vanilla and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Of course assault gun users were full auto so the follow up shots ensured death, but only at very close range and by this point you possibly have ballistic vests, ballistic protection aug, and more powerful+accurate weaponry yourself to put them down faster. With the assault gun or shotguns at medium to long ranges there was no chance of instadeath. This was not true of pistols and it was definitely an issue, especially when facing large groups of pistol users early in the game and then rarely seeing an enemy with a pistol again later on.
    Last edited by GMDX Dev; 26th Nov 2015 at 13:11.

Part 6: Level Design & Graphics:

Looking great! I especially like how you stated good reasons for overhauling Deus Ex's level design and adding graphical effects, instead of merely insisting that it's improved from the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev_Anj View Post
    Looking great! I especially like how you stated good reasons for overhauling Deus Ex's level design and adding graphical effects, instead of merely insisting that it's improved from the original.
    It was mandatory to do so as far as I am concerned. The mod release trailer (if there is to be one. Probably not because I don't have the video editing skills nor the time) will be less forthcoming with such info.
    Last edited by GMDX Dev; 26th Nov 2015 at 21:54.

Oh wow, now I feel sorry for those Revision guys. Your mod seems to be the better one. At the end of the day Revision looked good visually but there were too many unnecessary visual improvements. Some parts of their maps felt very artificial and empty since they were non-interactive and led nowhere. The few bits of text they added for context were very poorly written (like google-translation bad).

I like that you're adding additional paths to reach our goal. Revision tried to do that a bit. For example their version of the LaGuardia airport sewers was pretty good with the ceiling vent to bypass the bot. Actually the whole of LaGuardia was pretty great, as were some of their other maps. Others on the other hand, like the second part of Hell's Kitchen or Hong-Kong, were more questionable. I also suspect them of breaking the balance of the game by adding so many more hidden items to loot.

Anyway, are you gonna use any of the stuff they've made? Are you even allowed to?

Quote Originally Posted by Manwe View Post
    Anyway, are you gonna use any of the stuff they've made? Are you even allowed to?
    A lot of the assets of Revision are pilfered from other mods & games, so if I want said assets I can just do the same, especially if doing so is officially endorsed by Square Enix. Of the new textures that were not ripped, few fit Deus Ex's art style so I have no desire for them. So basically, no, nothing from Revision will be taken.

I haven't watched all of the videos, but I like what I see - considerably more so than the Revision mod (in visual terms). Sounds like sensible additions and changes that enhance the gameplay, visuals and atmosphere. Looking forward to this!

New video got delayed, so here's a demonstration of a new feature in the meantime:

Part 7: Audio Design & User Interface:

Let me stress that what you see in these videos is only a fraction of the full mod. Compare the "Part 1: Artificial Intelligence" video to the full AI list that was released early for example, then apply that difference for each category. Also, the only reason I've began merging categories in videos is because a video to focus exclusively on audio design for example wouldn't be very exciting.

I'm quite excited by what the videos show. It does sound like Deus Ex+, adding good, sensible stuff intelligently.

Unfortunately this mod's release has got delayed to 20th December because of a lack of testers. Don't worry though, there's still a demo of a cool new feature:

Do tell if you want to betatest.

https://www.systemshock.org/index.ph...94401#msg94401

Here's the proper announcement: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/news/gmdx-v80-delayed

Thanks though, Dev_Anj.

Part 8: Preferences & Miscellaneous.

That's the final one.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Is this compatible with Revision?

Last edited by GMDX Dev; 13th Dec 2015 at 00:45.

Merry Deus Exmas!

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD GMDXv8.0

Experience Deus Ex pushed to its potential with GMDX, a rare logical progression of FPRPG game design.

Follow the v8.0 installation guide: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/tutor...allation-guide

The majority of features available in GMDXv8.0 can be viewed on GMDX's website (not mobile optimized), or alternatively some can be viewed as demonstrated in video format on Youtube:

Part 1: Artificial Intelligence
    Part 2: Player-Controlled Mechanics
    Part 3: Simulated Systems and Effects
    Part 4: Weaponry
    Part 5: RPG Systems
    Part 6: Level Design & Graphics
    Part 7: Audio Design & UI
    Part 8: Preferences & Misc

Medium difficulty is recommended for first time playthroughs unless you're specifically after a challenge. Higher difficulty modes truly will result in a thinking man's shooter or sneaker RPG.

Thanks to contributors, testers and supporters of GMDX over the years.
    Last edited by GMDX Dev; 20th Dec 2015 at 09:05.

Congratulations! Here's hoping you get great success and your mod gains rightful recognition.

Congrats!

I've downloaded the mod and have installed it, but I have the following problem: when I try to launch the game, I get a message saying "Failed to find Steam." Any tips on how I could solve this? (Regular Deus Ex works well; it's just GMDX that doesn't work.)

You could try the solution described here, or use Kentie's launcher:

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/ques...-when-starting

Thanks. The first solution didn't work (I'd tried that one previously), but I wasn't aware of Kentie's launcher, and that one did the trick.

With Kenties Launcher you'll probably have issues where DeusEx.int is not loaded. This is a problem because the majority of descriptive text in the game will not be updated (though perks and the stealth skill etc will still be there), realistic difficulty will not work and so on. A simple way to tell would be to look at the swimming skill, it should say "Athletics" instead of swimming, if not here's the solution:

1. Download this: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jr...jzg/DeusEx.int
    2. (optional) Back up your DeusEx.int file found in DeusEx\System (in case you want to play vanilla or other mods).
    3. Place the DeusEx.int from the download above into DeusEx\System and overwrite.

This will solve your problem. If you want to play vanilla or another mod at some point place your backup DeusEx.int back into DeusEx\System.

It seems that things are working at my end with Kentie's Launcher - at least I get the Athletics description, not the Swimming one. I'm still busy with one of those nasty non-games, but I'm looking forward to playing GMDX in earnest once I'm done.

A couple of questions:

I currently have a Steam install of Deus Ex on my computer. But I still have my original GOTY CDs. Would you recommend I install a fresh non-Steam version in parallel to put GMDX on, to avoid any Steam errors? If I do this, does GMDX include the alternative renderers from Kentie and Chris Donhal or do I need to install those first?

Second, I normally play Deus Ex on Realistic for a stealth/tactical playstyle, or Hard if I want a more run & gun game. Should I follow your recommendation and start on Medium difficulty, or dare I try Realistic?

Yeah steam can be a little tricky. Go for the disc version just to be safe if you don't mind it taking extra space on your comp. GMDX comes with HDTP, New Vision and the renderers all in one download so you're all set in that regard.

Go medium difficulty. It will still engage you. It's definitely the happy medium for first playthroughs, and it is possible you'll be back for another playthrough because there's a lot to the mod and many types of builds and more to the playstyles. Both combat and stealth are more fleshed out so you'll definitely want to try them both and can always take a higher difficulty upon return.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I'm still busy with one of those nasty non-games, but I'm looking forward to playing GMDX in earnest once I'm done.
    I will be interested to know your thoughts when you get around to it.