TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 72 Hour Speed Build Contest Announcement - Nov 23-Dec 13

Southquarter.com/fms

72 Hour Speed Build Contest Announcement - Nov 23-Dec 13

72 Hour Speed Build Contest

Rules:

Create a mission for Thief 1, Gold, or 2 using Dromed version 1.23 (latest New Dark). You must complete the mission in a total of 72 hours. The hours do not need to be consecutive, but they must be completed sometime during the time period from Monday, November 23rd through Wednesday, December 9th. All total times will be verified using the info_window command. I wanted to give players two weeks to complete their missions, but with the Thanksgiving holiday coming up for the U.S., I figured it couldn't hurt to tack on a few extra days, so the build period is now 17 days.

Missions should not be started before Monday, November 23rd. Any interested contestants should contact the contest organizer (me!) to indicate their interest in joining the contest. Starting on November 23rd, I will email all contestants a small base mission to use as a starting point for their missions. Contestants may join the contest at any time during the designated building period. Final entries must be submitted by Wednesday, November 9th at the latest.

There are no other restrictions in regards to custom materials/content, size or theme. You may work on assets and content (textures/sounds, readables, maps, meshes/models, etc etc) for your mission prior to the start date on the 23rd, but not any type of level geometry or brushwork. Also, do not import a previously created multibrush or vbr file (that's cheating).

Timeline Summary:

November 16-22: Plan your missions (one week).
    November 23 - December 13: Build your missions (21 days).
    December 14th: Missions released to the public.
    December 14- January 10: Voting period (4 weeks).
    January 11: Winner announced

Good luck to all...post questions here if you have them.

Edit: I will no longer be sending out a base mission to interested participants. Just start up a new mission from scratch and use that for your contest entry.

New Edit: I'm extended to the deadline for the contest to Sunday, December 13th. This will give all authors an additional 4 days (including 2 weekend days) to finish their missions.
    Last edited by Brethren; 7th Dec 2015 at 11:17.

It looks like you're leaving only two days for beta testing. I don't remember how long the authors had for testing in the 48 hour contest, but two days doesn't seem like enough. It could be, barring any major problems that take a long time to fix, but either way it'll be tight. But, I'm not entering, so we'll see what the entrants think about it.

Anyway, thanks for taking the reins again and doing this. It should be lots of fun.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Everything must be done in the 17 day period. Each author can spend as much time within that period that they want for testing. Or none at all, if they so choose, like several did for the 48 hour contest. Once you're mission is submitted on the 9th, it should be ready for public consumption.

I think I'll enter, this is a good opportunity to try out some mission styles and see how it's received.That sort of feedback would be helpful for a novice like me.

Ah, right, thanks for clarifying, Brethren. I remember that now from the 48 hour contest.

Thanks for this, Brethren. Let us know if you want a TTLG poll for the voting. I hope there's a good response and I'm pleased to see Dev_Anj entering.

I'm afraid I won't be able to do texts or beta test or anything else helpful but I do hope to play the entries.

The idea of this contest is so tempting to me. It was exactly 10 years ago when I took part in another speed contest (limited to polish Thief forum only for certain reasons), which resulted in my only released mission ever (not counting the abandoned stuff). Not sure about my availability, but I'll give this idea a chance in my head and decide within a week, whether I participate or not.

DromEd Archmage
    As I said, I join!

EDIT:

By the way, what is the dromed command to pop the time creation window up? I don't remember it.. ^^'
    As I don't remember too how to change the name of the author. There is something to write down in USER.cfg but I don't remember that too

PinkDot, you can do it !

Southquarter.com/fms
    @FireMage - the command is "info_window." I mentioned it in the OP. The file you want for changing the user name is definitely the user.cfg file. Just make a simple entry like this:

user FireMage

I have an idea for the contest too, gonna try to give it a shot.

I think I'll join as I want to give the speed build another try as I think it will be cool too see how much I've improved since the 48 hour speed build contest

Also I think I have just the right idea to start off

DromEd Archmage
    @Brethren: Thank you very much! I'm starting to be an old man!

January is going to be a busy month for players.

Sorry for the impatience, but by which time can I expect the base mission? It's 23rd November here.

Southquarter.com/fms
    My apologies, I wasn't able to come up with a base mission over the weekend. So let's make it simple - go ahead and start up your own mission(s) from scratch at any point from today going forward.

OK, so contest on... Good luck to everyone. Remember, 72 hours total dromeding time (check with info_window). Be sure not to leave your Dromed window open if you're not actively working on your mission.

DromEd Archmage
    Alright, let's do this so!

Yay I'll get started later today, can't wait to start up the mission

good luck all,i look forward to trying them all

one day people will see the importance of adding vending machines to missions

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    Oh downwinder... one of my favourite posters

Good luck everyone - I look forward to playing each and every one

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post

What the... *@%!$*..?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Damn, completely slipped my mind, I was going to make it a requirement that everyone had a vending machine somewhere in their mission. Oh well, maybe next time..

Ah, you dropped the ball on that one, Brethren. Funnily, as it happens, Yandros and I have a certain kind of vending machine in our upcoming mission.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    But now, I think we need to add a "special" vending machine just for downwinder.

Here's an idea, the junk food from the vending machine has the opposite effect of the usual T2 food. Eat enough junk food in a mission and Garrett has a heart attack.

I note that the 72hr speed contest has appeared on my page over at Shalesbridge. Is there an assumption that I will be beta testing one of the missions? No author has yet requested my help yet, but obviously I will consider vending my services for the usual payment (chocolate/coffee/cigarettes/crisps)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast