TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EA on The House

EA on The House

Odd how we don't have a "On The House" thread here, so thought I'd start one up.

EA's current on the house free game is "Jade Empire Special Edition" after having "Red Alert 2" + "Yuri's Revenge" up for the past few months.

I'll update this thread on new releases/freebies.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Odd how we don't have a "On The House" thread here
    Because Origin has for the longest time kind of sucked as a service? I mean, it's not outright bad like Uplay, but it's not really anywhere near Steam or GOG or even Humble Bundle either. I guess they have a chance if they are giving away free games, though.
    Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Jade Empire isn't easy to get to work well these days, at least the Steam version. Unless there's a website somewhere that I somehow missed that explains everything step by step.
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    Eagles on Pogo Sticks: Musings of a Goofy Beast

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Because Origin has for the longest time kind of sucked as a service? I mean, it's not outright bad like Uplay, but it's not really anywhere near Steam or GOG or even Humble Bundle either. I guess they have a chance if they are giving away free games, though.
    I 110% agree with you. But it's free games. So still worth mentioning.

Chakat sex pillow
    And uplay isn't that... okay, it's still shit.

But it did something for AC:S I've only seen on the PS4 so far, which is that at a certain point in the download process, it lets you launch the game while it downloads the rest of it. That's a pretty nice feature, and something actually worth of appreciation because it works well enough. Uplay still keeps getting patched too often, and only patches games when you launch them (*still*, groan), and the always-online DRM it facilitates for some games means it's still something to abhor, but hey... progress.

Only seen that feature in World of Warcraft + other Blizzard products so far. They do the same thing of a download meter that once it reaches a certain point allows play, even though there's more downloading/installing to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Odd how we don't have a "On The House" thread here, so thought I'd start one up.
    You mean the Freebies for everyone! sticky doesn't count?
    Go. Hunt. Kill Skuls!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hush now, if someone wants to start a new thread rather than lumping it into another megathread, that should be encouraged. Also, icemann has done a fine job of keeping the Top 50 Games Ever thread up to date and I'm sure he'll do an equally good job with this one. I pretty much never start up Origin so I'd like to know if something cool comes up.

Thanks henke . And I'm in the same boat as you, in that I never startup Origin. But when new on the house deals popup from time to time, I jump on to add them. Every now and then a good game is on offer.

If people feel like reposting any of the stuff I post over in the freebies megathread then by all means. Just doing my bit to add new threads where I feel it could be of use to some people.

Also there has been some really good ones from when EA started doing this (eg Wing Commander 3, Crusader No Remorse, Plants vs Zombies etc), and I never saw any mention of it in the other thread. So after starting up a thread for when Red Alert 2 was on special, I thought I'd do this if they continued on with it.

Every time I open Origin it seems to have a 100MB update. Bizarro.

But yes, thanks for the useful thread!
    you could be a serial killer or you could be a creepy gay stalker who'd like to steal me away in the night and rape me

What makes this sad is that I only ever launch Origin (I still hate them for dragging that name through the mud) just to click on the newest "On The House" freebie to add it to my library & then close it. My entire library on Origin consists of nothing more than the on the house freebies & the occasionally rare humble bundle tack-on. Not to mention that I also have to sit through yet another 100mb patch for the damn system each & every time I launch it.

Most of the games I have on Origin... I'd rather play them on Steam or GOG. And in the particular cases where the game has an old cd boxed copy as the only alternative... I'd rather play that version of it instead. Origin is pain to use & a complete utter mess that makes it a headache just dealing with it.

One of the reasons I flock to Steam or GOG, besides the fact that both run beautifully for the most part, is that both offer their service to all publishers & developers. Does Origin publish anything other than EA's crap? I'm genuinely curious as I haven't looked on it for long enough to care.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah I mostly just have freebies from various place on there as well. I think the only game I've bought on Origin was Crysis 3 when I wanted to give my new PC a proper test run.

Mass Effect 3 for me

Nedan, I'd mostly agree with you if it weren't for how Mass Effect 1/2 DLC is handled on any system other than Origin. I will use Origin for those two games.

Level 10,000 achieved
    NFS: Most Wanted (the 2013 one) is now free on Origin!

That's supposed be pretty good, right? Jeff Gerstmann calls it a mini-sequel to Burnout:Paradise, which sounds pretty good. Tho honestly I haven't really been into the NFS games since the first one, racer hipster that I am.

edit: forgot about Porsche Unleashed, that one was the best NFS game!
    Last edited by henke; 3rd Feb 2016 at 04:33.

The fuck. I just launched Origin like 2 days ago and it needs ANOTHER 92mb update.

I had a lot of fun with NFS most wanted in a Lan situation. Single player probly not as good.

Odd. Didn't get an email from EA this time. Usually get one whenever a new games up for free.

Thanks henke .

Medal of Honor Pacific Assault is the next game up for free for a short time.

Dungeon Keeper is the next game up for a short time. Grab it while you can, as it's awesome.

Mass Effect 2 is the current freebie on Origin, if that floats your boat.

Thanks for that . Last I checked Dungeon Keeper was still the game up for grabs.

Dead in Bermuda is currently free:

https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/sto...s/on-the-house

Level 10,000 achieved
    Never even heard of that one. Anyone played it?

Never heard of it.