TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SYSTEM SHOCK 3 - It's happening!

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by GodzillaX8 View Post
    I wouldn't call it a disappointment.
    Of course YOU wouldn't. But it totally was. It was a massive disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Of course YOU wouldn't. But it totally was. It was a massive disappointment.
    Oh yeah, that's why I never come to these forums anymore. People like you are here. Thanks for reminding me. See you later.

Hasta la vista, baby.

SYSTEM SHOCK 3 - It's happening!
    Welcome, yet expected news...

One can only pray it meets the standards of the series.

The front page should definitely be updated with this excellent news!

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillaX8 View Post
    I wouldn't call it a disappointment. Sure, it wasn't as great as System Shock 2, but it was still better than 95% of other shooters on the market in that timeframe.
    What was actually good about it in comparison to the other games shooters in the timeframe?

The uninspired weapons?
    The useless plasmids?
    The bullet sponge enemies with incredible precision?
    The balance based on huge amounts of resources with arbitrary hard caps?
    The RPG elements that could be freely swapped, making all choices meaningless?
    The interface so bad that I could write a 2,500-word article on the subject?

This in the same year as S.T.A.L.K.E.R., too.

Posts like that make me wonder if he actually played either game.

Well, this is exciting.

And FWIW, I enjoyed BioShock.

Tentatively hopeful, though I'm worried about how they'll keep SHODAN as a credible threat without jumping the shark.

After SS2, she's on the escape pod in some girl's body, heading back to the VB. I doubt they'll have us play through the same ship again, so it'll probably be on Earth or some other inhabited planet after landing. But how will she deal with the soldier?

Quote Originally Posted by Peanuckle View Post
    ...I'm worried about how they'll keep SHODAN as a credible threat without jumping the shark.
    I wonder what they were thinking at the time? They were at least halfway over the shark by the ending of SS2.

Anyone else a big enough dork to watch the timer a couple of minutes before it ends? I know it will probably just tell us what we already know, but still...

Welp, it's official. Surprise!

If you take the survey and join the mailing list, you'll see they're querying people's interest in virtual reality.

Also, if you submit the survey, you're entered to win limited edition Shodan art work by Robb Waters.

Everybody should fill out the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DJMH7H6

Personally I hope they don't waste development effort on VR support.

I remember that VR support was included in the original game 21 years ago. Who knows? Maybe they were working on it this whole time.

I like the idea of Otherside doing this. Hope they can get well re-established and continue the legacy of Looking Glass Studios far into the future.
    and Terra Nova...

If there's any game where VR support be a natural fit, it's System Shock with its cyberspace.

ZylonBane
    Oh god I hope SS3 doesn't have a SS1-style cyberspace. I always hated dealing with the cyberspace sections-- if I wanted to play something like that, I'd play Descent (I don't play Descent).

Well, the six-axis shooter is not the only way to go about it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh I'm very interested in VR, but then again I've yet to play an on-foot first person VR game that hasn't made me nauseous after a while. This is with the Oculus Rift DK2, mind, perhaps the comercial products will be better in this regard. Tho if they made the VR restricted (and optional, natch) to the hacking sections it could work.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Oh god I hope SS3 doesn't have a SS1-style cyberspace. I always hated dealing with the cyberspace sections-- if I wanted to play something like that, I'd play Descent (I don't play Descent).
    Me too. I'm replaying SS1 right now (the gog.com enhanced version), and while I'm playing everything else at difficulty level 2, I set difficulty level 1 for cyberspace, because I don't like those sections and don't want to be frustrated by a high difficulty in cyberspace.

I often see cyberspace getting a kicking whenever it's brought up in a System Shock discussion. Am I the only one who actually enjoyed it?

SShock2.com

I enjoy it. And play it with the max difficulty setting.

Classical Master 2008
    No, I also liked it. Not that the cyberspace segments were particularly long, but beyond the wow factor, they also added an extra dimension to the game with the information you could retrieve and the real life access you could give yourself.

Oh god it's been a long time since I was here. Just popped in to say ooh this is exciting isn't it!

I really hope they try to make game inspired more by Shock 1 than Shock 2, I always found the RPG-elements with stats and so on to be a bit on the lazy side, design-wise. Shock 1 was, to me, the first RPG I played without stats, which I thought was extremely elegant.

I also hope they have a larger variety in enemies compared to Shock 2. Shock 2 always felt constrained in that regard.

And lastly, smaller is better, I would rather have a small self contained "play-world", than some large and expansive open world thing. Shock 1 was remarkable in how cohesive it felt.

Five years ago, I would have been ecstatic, now... not so much, but here's to hope!

There's a short article on GameSpot (can't open original link from GameInformer): "Ken Levine reveals a little more about his next project; offers his thoughts on System Shock 3"
    Nothing special, though
    *| Perfection Through Genetics |*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast