TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Most Anticipated Games - 2016 Edition

That's a shame. Bargain bin I guess.

Southquarter.com/fms
    It's really crazy to look through your Steam games list and say repeatedly "I bought that?" or just "I have that game?" This madness must end.

Yes, it's all so clear now. I see it plainly. 2016 will be the year of the backlog! I vow to finally start and finish these (among many other) games:

Alpha Protocol
    EYE Divine Cybermancy
    Kentucky Route Zero
    LA Noire
    Mafia 2
    Mass Effect 2 & 3
    Max Paynes
    Metro 2033 and Last Light
    Stalker Call of Pripyat
    Outlast
    Pathologic
    Portal 2
    Rage
    Resident Evil 4
    Spec Ops The Line
    State of Decay
    Tomb Raider 2013
    Wolfenstein The New Order
    Witcher 2 (and hopefully 3)

Last year I gave every single game in my Steam library at least 1 hour, and it was a monumental slog. I came out of it realising that it's cheaper to buy full price games when I actually want to play them.

*doh

Level 10,000 achieved
    My backlog on Steam:
    Her Story
    South Park RPG (this one has been sitting around for nearly a year now, I'm just never in the mood for it)
    Papo y Yo
    Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC
    MOAR DIRT RALLY

I do have another couple dozen unplayed games as well, but I've pretty written them off as games I'll never play. Sorry CK2 and Prison Architect.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    KARASKI!

You don't even know how this put a smile on my face hehe

As for what I'm looking forward to, well.... nothing. Perhaps I'm too cynical, perhaps the sequels haven't struct a chord, but I already got plenty of games on my back and forward log (aka wishlist) to keep me occupied. Well, maybe except System Shock 3 but that's still way's off...

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Because we haven't had one of these obligatory list threads yet.

Most anticipated:-
    • Resident Evil 0 HD
    • Mass Effect: Andromeda
    • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    • Mafia 3
    • Witcher 3 GOTY Edition - I dropped this game soon after launch because notable gameplay systems were unpolished and a bit shit. Eg inventory management, character movement. I'll pick it back once both expansion packs have been released (assuming that I'm done with FO4 vanilla by then).
    • Homefront: The Revolution - Crysis 3's core gameplay meets Far Cry 3/4's open world. It looks absolutely heavenly.
    • Fallout 4 DLCs
    • Doom 4
    • Ghost Recon: Wildlands
    • Torment: Tides of Numenera
    • Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
    • Hyper Light Drifter
    • We Happy Few - Sir, You Are Being Hunted + Bioshock's nutter populace + 1960s pop culture.
    • Final Fantasy XI (PC)
    • The Mandate - Mass Effect roleplaying + XCOM squad combat + Homeworld RTS combat.
    • Rise of the Tomb Raider PC version.
    • Squadron 42 (Star Citizen's SP campaign module)
    • Kingdom Come: Deliverance
    • Darkest Dungeon

Maybes:-
    • XCOM 2
    • Hitman 2016
    • Dishonoured 2
    • The Banner Saga 2
    • Far Cry: Primal - I adored FC4, but this one looks the like shitty Shangri-La parts reskinned with the animal ally system expanded. I will remain cautiously optimistic.
    • Battlefield 5
    • Scalebound - Only if it gets ported to PC later on. It looks like a Devil May Cry ARPG, bad ass.
    • Quantum Break - Whenever this comes to PC.
    • Crackdown 3 - Only if it gets ported to PC later on. I'm always down for a fun open world action game.
    • Persona 5
    • Yakuza 0
    • Shadow Warrior 2
    • Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 - open world focus with Far Cry-esque tactical options holds promise.
    • Horizon: Zero Dawn - this looks really promising. Guerrilla Games have been a 3rd rate developer up until now however and have much to prove. I played Killzone 2&3 and they were straight up CoD clones of questionable quality, especially KZ2.
    • Final Fantasy 15 - after an entire console generation of FF13 shit this has a lot to make up for.
    • Nier: Automata - looks like a promising ARPG from Platinum.
    • Space Hulk: Deathwing - the French weirdos who made EYE: Divine Cybermancy finally united with the WH40K license of which they're obviously huge fanboys of.
    • Obduction - It's a Myst spiritual successor.
    • Gravity Rush series
    • Battleborn

HAHAHA NO:-
    • Uncharted 4 - Hollywood wannabe copypasta game from 2007-2011 with zero replay value, over in 8-10 hours. Utterly predictable plot with obnoxious characters. 100% bargain purchase or week-long rental.
    • Detroit - LOL, David Cage.
    • Everybody's Gone to the Rapture PC port - LOL, walking simulator.
    • Tacoma - LOL, walking simulator.
    • Early access survival sandbox games - I'm not a chump who buys into these cash grab games.
    • The Division - Gears of Borderlands with the personality sucked out of it.
    • Bombshell - Christ, this looks like absolute shit.
    • Nintendo - pretty much everything. I'm interested in open world Zelda but I'm not buying a dead console to play one game.
    • Umbrella Corps - shitting upon RE's legacy and SurHor some more.
    • Fable Legends - F2P MP game that will crash and burn within 2-3 years.
    • For Honour - Ubisoft Dynasty Warriors with MP focus.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 2nd Jan 2016 at 15:19.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    • Everybody's Going to the Rapture PC port - LOL walking simulator.
    • Tacoma - LOL walking simulator.
    I wasn't a fan of Dear Esther and Gone Home, but what I find most interesting about both new games is that they have ethereal characters. I always thought that both companies wanted to tell their stories through people, but didn't have the budget or skill set to go beyond environmental storytelling or just straight exposition.

Mirror's Edge 2 for me.

Also partially DX4 and Dishonored 2, tho I still have to play through the previous DXHR.

Maybe something else that comes along and looks interesting (like Ziggurat did this year - probably my most enjoyed game of the year). That is already more than the average amount of games I actually play through in a year though.

This is a reply to Yakoob - Just letting you know, when I was playing the beta, my son (who loves thief, ss2 etc) was quite intrigued with the game and wanted to play it.

So good work man!

also Eva, the WiiU isnt a dead console quite yet. I mean you could buy it now and have a heap of cool games to play (if you like nintendo that is), well worth it even in that respect.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Couldn't agree more on the Wii U - bought mine in July and I love it. It's a got a ton of good games that you can't play anywhere else. And if you don't have a Wii, there's a great backlog to dive into. The 2nd screen/gamepad is great too, although it's criminally underused. But yeah, you gotta like Nintendo stuff of course.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post

also Eva, the WiiU isnt a dead console quite yet. I mean you could buy it now and have a heap of cool games to play (if you like nintendo that is), well worth it even in that respect.
    WiiU has had only THREE
    high profile games released in 2015 and all were first party (Splatoon, Mario Maker, Xenoblade 2). Third party support is dead for it aside from shovelware aimed at children and none of that is exclusive anyway. NX is looming on horizon. Vita FFS has more life left it in than WiiU thanks to a steady supply of middle-market niche Japanese games.

I lied, I'd also be interested in Fatal Frame 5, Star Fox, Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade 2, but that's still less than a half-dozen games for a console that's going into its fourth year. The exclusive library is pretty fucking barren for my interests. Other than Zelda and Metroid, I don't care about Nintendo's endlessly rehashed franchises.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

South Park: Stick of Truth sequel is also a thing I forgot about. How good that'll be without Obsidian? We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    This is a reply to Yakoob - Just letting you know, when I was playing the beta, my son (who loves thief, ss2 etc) was quite intrigued with the game and wanted to play it.

So good work man!
    Guys, over the past 2 years I had a lot of struggles and self doubt about my games (especially working mostly alone), so these little quips are really heartwarming to me. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Mirror's Edge 2 for me.

Also partially DX4 and Dishonored 2, tho I still have to play through the previous DXHR.

Maybe something else that comes along and looks interesting...
    Ditto.

I'm thinking to spend more time making games than playing. I'd love nothing more than make an alienating surreal walking sim that'd make Koki puke.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Here's a list of games potentially coming in 2016, broken down by genre. (RPS have done something useful for a change, rather reposting several months old shit articles meant for their premium subscribers.)

Here's a list of games potentially coming in 2016, broken down by genre. (RPS have done something useful for a change, rather reposting several months old shit articles meant for their premium subscribers.)
    Pretty exhaustive list, although their categories don't make much sense in some cases. The "Survival Games" category might as well be renamed "Early Access games".

Also the number of MOBA/Team-based shooters is ridiculous. I could swear Paragon and Law Breakers were the same game... And we all know the one from Blizzard is the only one that will stand out. Whichever one that is... I literally can't tell any of these games apart.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Manwe View Post
    Also the number of MOBA/Team-based shooters is ridiculous. I could swear Paragon and Law Breakers were the same game... And we all know the one from Blizzard is the only one that will stand out. Whichever one that is... I literally can't tell any of these games apart.
    They might all seem the same if you're thick. Law Breakers is an arena-based FPS like UT; Paragon is a MOBA; Overwatch is pretty much "Blizzard TF2" (and will probably completely replace TF2 as far as eSports is concerned).

I thought TF2 was somewhat dead these years anyway? I played it a lot back in the day, but everyone that I knew who played it no longer does as far as I know.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I thought TF2 was somewhat dead these years anyway? I played it a lot back in the day, but everyone that I knew who played it no longer does as far as I know.
    It's one of the most popular FPSes on PC today.

Lesson: games don't go away just because you stop playing them.

Depends on the game; some do indeed dry up. There is a disappointing lack of players for UT2K4, and almost no servers that weren't running Onslaught. I recently just checked to see if the server browser still worked, and found more active players on both original UT, and Quake 3.

I read through the RPS list yesterday. I think they're being way too optimistic with some games. There is no way System Shock 3 is a 2016 game when Underworld Ascendant isn't out yet.

They might all seem the same if you're thick. Law Breakers is an arena-based FPS like UT; Paragon is a MOBA; Overwatch is pretty much "Blizzard TF2" (and will probably completely replace TF2 as far as eSports is concerned).
    They're all multiplayer shooters, they're all competitive and team-based, they all take place in an arena, and they all feature different heroes with specific skills and powers that complement one another. One is developed by Epic, the other by ex-Epic guys. Yup, clearly no similarities there.

PS: You might wanna get your brain checked.
    Last edited by Manwe; 3rd Jan 2016 at 11:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Manwe View Post
    The difference between these is: I've never heard of the former 2 and will probably never hear about them again, while Overwatch is somewhere in the top 5 of most hyped games of this year (playing it safe - it's probably more like top 1-3) and looks like a great game already. I wouldn't be surprised it if stomps on TF2. Then again, there's likely the case of many TF2 players not having new computers to run a game like Overwatch. Also there's this CS:GO thing...
    Some will be hesitant on the initial fee to even play the game. I like that business model better than any other tho [assuming they don't cross the line between common decency by charging money for additional gameplay (heroes, abilities etc.)].
    Last edited by Thor; 3rd Jan 2016 at 14:40.