TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Most Anticipated Games - 2016 Edition

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Manwe View Post
    They're all multiplayer shooters, they're all competitive and team-based, they all take place in an arena, and they all feature different heroes with specific skills and powers that complement one another. One is developed by Epic, the other by ex-Epic guys. Yup, clearly no similarities there.

PS: You might wanna get your brain checked.
    Paragon is pretty much sci-fi Smite. MOBAs usually take place on a single map (the "sports field"). Q3/UT-style twitch-based, arena FPS have variety of maps.

PS: You might wanna stop breathing through your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerker View Post
    Depends on the game; some do indeed dry up. There is a disappointing lack of players for UT2K4, and almost no servers that weren't running Onslaught. I recently just checked to see if the server browser still worked, and found more active players on both original UT, and Quake 3.
    Awww that's a shame. I haven't played it in forever but UT2K4 has been a solid addition to the franchise.

Tho for me, the best team/base building/vehicle game is still Tribes 2. So many nights I lost to that bugger...

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Then again, there's likely the case of many TF2 players not having new computers to run a game like Overwatch.
    I don't know about Overwatch specifically, but the main reason Wow had such a stylized look at the time was to hide its outdated graphics that allowed it to run on the shittiest of computers. What little I've seen of Overwatch seems to indicate they've applied the same formula: a cartoony art-style hiding relatively low-poly graphics. Not saying it's a bad thing, it's a great idea actually, Blizzard does cartoony really well. But coming from them, I'd find it surprising if the game required a beast of a computer to run.

I wouldn't be surprised it if stomps on TF2. Then again, there's likely the case of many TF2 players not having new computers to run a game like Overwatch.
    When I signed up for the beta they said that my card at the time (GTX 660) was recommended for medium settings.
    Some will be hesitant on the initial fee to even play the game. I like that business model better than any other tho [assuming they don't cross the line between common decency by charging money for additional gameplay (heroes, abilities etc.)].

Dark Souls III, RE0, Hitman, Uncharted 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, XCOM 2 (if they eventually will release it for consoles), The Last Guardian, I also hope the new Valkyria Chronicles will be released in 2016.
    Last edited by 242; 4th Jan 2016 at 05:02.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

So whatever the hell ReCore is, it's coming to PC. One less reason to buy a Xbone.

Well that was unexpected! Of what very little we've seen/know about Recore right now, it does spark my interest. I might just have to keep a closer eye on this one now.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Polygon now also has a list of their 100 most anticipated games of 2016.

A couple cool PS4 titles I'd not heard of previously on there. An open world prehistoric/post-apocalyptic(in the same sense that Enslaved was) third person stealth-action game called Horizon Zero Dawn. And Ni-Oh, a game from Team Ninja, based on an unfinished Akira Kurosawa script.

Horizon: Zero Dawn was one of the few noteworthy things that happened at E3:

I still can't get over how stupid that title is, though.

That does look cool.
    Why the PS4 exclusive?

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    That does look cool.
    Why the PS4 exclusive?
    Because money.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Why the PS4 exclusive?
    Because it's made by a Sony first party studio, Guerilla Games.

Reminds me a lot of Enslaved - lovely art direction, forgettable gameplay.

I don't know why they're making a fundamentally terrestrial Homeworld game, but man, the trailer nails the feeling of Homeworld so well that I can't help but be excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7ior9JoUE0

Ni-Oh looks very Dark Soulsy. Colour me interested.

Level 10,000 achieved
    It does! Then again Dark Souls reminded me a lot of Ninja Gaiden (one of Team Ninja's earlier games) as well.

Edit: Wrong thread.
    Last edited by Thirith; 10th Jan 2016 at 08:54.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Manwe View Post
    Ni-Oh looks very Dark Soulsy. Colour me interested.
    Right down to the sword embedded in the bonfire at the end.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Man, look at this pretty thing.

Developed by the lead artist on Journey. Coming to PS4 and PC, sometime in 2016.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh man the games are really piling up, time to make a proper list to to figure out how little free time I'm gonna have this year!

Insta-buy probably
    American Truck Simulator
    Gravity Rush
    DX:MD
    Dark Souls 3

Kickstarted these so yeah I'll play em
    Strafe
    Kna
    Wildfire

Very interested in these
    The Last Guardian
    Uncharted 4
    Valkyria Chronicles sequel
    Mirror's Edge 2
    Ni-Oh
    Firewatch
    Overland

Wait and see
    No Man's Sky
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Dying Light DLC
    Dishonored 2
    Mass Effect Andromeda
    Kingdom Come: Deliverance
    Adrift
    Final Fantasy 15
    Inside
    Abzu
    Unravel
    Cuphead
    Deadbolt
    Jalopy
    My Summer Car
    Routine

Proooobably bargain bin
    Mafia 3
    FC:Primal
    DOOM
    XCOM 2
    Shadow Warrior 2
    Rise of the Tomb Raider

That's a lot of stuff! No way I'll have time with all of it. Either the gaming industry is gonna have to turn it down a notch or I'll have to develop a GMDX Dev-like level of cynicism about modern gaming!

I've never even heard of half of those games (wtf is Gravity Rush? Wildfire? Got to check those out).
    I liked Shadow Warrior 1 (even though I stopped at act 3 cause reasons?) so Shadow Warrior 2 might check out at some point. What I valued most about that game was the good character and humor of my man Lo Wang, as well as the environment (mostly Act 1). Actually it also had probably the best (or one of the) gameplay I've experienced in an FPS, so that was nice. Biggest weakness in that game was the abundance of inside areas so I hope they fix that and make it more outside-oriented.
    Never played XCOM 1 but the 2nd one looks nice. Complicated but interesting.

P.S. Anyone here know of a game similar to the Jedi Knight games? I mostly like them for Kyle Katarn and Starwars and lightsaber fights. Oh, and the multiplayer scene. That was probably the best thing. I assume the Kyle Katarn (and probably Starwars) bit can't be asked, but has anything (vaguely) similar come out since?
    Perhaps another example: something that is like World of Warcraft, but less turn-based gameplay. WoW with Jedi Knight gameplay would pretty much hit the sweet spot. Except it would probably hit the uncanny valley instead, but hey, who knows.
    Last edited by Thor; 11th Jan 2016 at 13:18.

Getting me all hot and bothered:
    Cuphead, Shadow Warrior 2, Dark Souls 3, Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Piqued my interest/keeping an eye on:
    Master of Orion (reboot), Cyberpunk 2077, Dragon's Dogma, Ni-Oh, Dishonored 2, The Witness, Darkest Dungeon, We Happy Few, Pathologic, Superhot, Underworld Ascendant, Sui Generis, Hero U, Thimbleweed Park, Shardlight.

Also is a thing:
    Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Tangiers.

As for games similar to Jedi Knight, a Kickstarter game called Blade Symphony was supposed to emulate it, but I haven't looked at it, since I'm not interested in multiplayer.
    Last edited by Starker; 11th Jan 2016 at 17:57.

(wtf is Gravity Rush?
    It's a Vita-only action/adventure/open world thinghy which is probably one of the biggest exclusives on the system until now.

I'm actually working my way through it now, so I will probably hold off on the PS4 release until a sale or somesuch.

Here's a video:

For adventure game fans:

http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/games/shardlight/

Quite a lot of influences from PISS and The Reaper in the art and worldbuilding right there. You can tell Ben Chandler has been working on it.
    Last edited by Starker; 11th Jan 2016 at 17:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    As for games similar to Jedi Knight, a Kickstarter game called Blade Symphony was supposed to emulate it, but I haven't looked at it, since I'm not interested in multiplayer.
    Yeah, I took a peak at that one, but it turns out they kind of abandoned the game and left it unfinished. Having just one arena with no environment sucks also. In JK I also liked the possibility stealth attacks and traps from behind a corner, the FFA style and stuff like that.

That Gravity Rush makes me think of Persona 5, which are both anime therefore totally similar. But really I don't own a console so that flies by me anyway.