TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Anticipated Games - 2016 Edition

Southquarter.com/fms

Most Anticipated Games - 2016 Edition

Figured I'd keep this tradition going. What are you looking forward to in 2016?

I've vowed that my Steam purchases will dramatically decrease this year, I have a such a large backlog that I'll never get through it in my lifetime. I'm going to attempt to stick to only a handful of "must have" titles this coming year. One rule to live by - don't buy any sequels on a Steam sale, no matter how much they are discounted, if you haven't played the original.

Games that have been on my list for a couple of years now and continue to disappoint because they still aren't released: The Witness, Tangiers, Routine, Quadrilateral Cowboy, and Hellraid.

My only "Must Buys" for 2016 are these:

Dying Light The Following DLC
    Zelda Twilight Princess HD
    Deus Ex Mankind Divided
    Dishonored 2
    Styx Shards of Darkness
    Zelda Wii U

Maaaaaybe category: Hitman, Mirror's Edge, Rise of the Tomb Raider, No Man's Sky. But see rule above about sequels first.

I suppose I should throw Underworld Ascendant in there, although I've already laid out the cash for it, and I kind of doubt we'll see it in 2016.

I'm scared to even look what's upcoming because of my massive backlog.

Dishonoured 2 and Mirror's Edge 2 will be insta-buys for me though.

Other points of interest:
    Dark Souls III (might wait for the PC re-release if it follows the pattern of the last two)

The "might pick up at some point, probably in a sale":
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Doom 4

The "I already paid for them and they might not even make 2016" list:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Underworld Ascendant
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 10th Dec 2015 at 21:26. Reason: I remembered the reviews of Rise of the Tomb Raider and downgraded it.

Dark Souls 3 for me definitely. The only game I would pay full price on release day to play. I'd probably pay twice for it if they re-released it a few months down the line with a few improvements like they did with 2.

-Ghost song (well any Metroidvania that gets released really, I eat those things up in no time).
    -The System Shock remake. I never actually played the original. This will be a good occasion for me to do so.
    -Another vote for Dishonoured 2 and Mirror's edge 2 from me.
    -The Last Guardian (or is it back in vaporware land?).
    -Shenmue 3 (although I doubt that will come out in 2016). Also holding out hope for PC ports of Shenmue 1 and 2.
    -The New Hitman game: if it's similar to Absolution but with bigger levels, count me in. However I have no idea what their business model is gonna be like. I hear there's gonna be a beta? Is this an online game? Multiplayer? Free-to-play? Subscription based? Whether I play it or not will largely depend on the answer to those questions.
    -Maybe Star Citizen, if the whole thing doesn't crash and burn.
    -Those fancy VR thingies and the games accompanying them.
    -Shadow Warrior 2. Liked the first one. It was far from perfect, but had lots of potential.
    Edit: Also Psychonauts 2. So many great games coming up, it's hard to keep track of them all.

Mirror's Edge 2, Deus Ex 4, Dishonored 2, Fallout 4 DLC. It's highly depressing that there are so few decent games coming out that don't have a number on the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    It's highly depressing that there are so few decent games coming out that don't have a number on the end.
    "Decent"? The AAA industry these days hardly releases anything without a number on the end, it seems like.

Quote Originally Posted by Manwe View Post
    Metroidvania
    AKA 2D Dark Souls. Can you recommend me your top three? I haven't explored the Metroidvanias as much as I'd have liked to outside of all the Castlevania ones (which were fucking awesome).

-The System Shock remake. I never actually played the original. This will be a good occasion for me to do so.
    Pathetic creature of meat and bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Deus Ex 4, Dishonored 2, Fallout 4 DLC. It's highly depressing that there are so few decent games coming out that don't have a number on the end.
    It's highly depressing that they all will be compromised, just as their predecessors were. I wish I could be going in to new Immersive Sims highly excited, but instead I'll be going in skeptical but somewhat hopeful.
    Last edited by GMDX Dev; 9th Dec 2015 at 23:22.

2D Metrodvanias wise your best bets are:

* Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow
    * Castlevania - Circle of The Moon
    * Castevania - Harmony of Dissonance
    * Castlevania - Symphony of The Night
    * Cave Story
    * Super Metroid
    * Metroid Fusion
    * Metroid Zero Mission

Out of that list, if your only going to play one, play Symphony of The Night. Whilst Super Metroid is fantastic, SOTN was the game changer.

As for my anticipated games for 2016:

* Aegis Defenders
    * Dark Souls 3
    * Deus Ex 4
    * Dishonored 2
    * Moon Hunters
    * Paradise Lost: First Contact (Metroidvania)
    * System Shock 3 (If I'm really lucky)
    * Timespinner (Metroidvania)
    * XCOM 2
    Last edited by icemann; 10th Dec 2015 at 00:04.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    2D Metrodvanias wise your best bets are:

* Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow
    * Castlevania - Circle of The Moon
    * Castevania - Harmony of Dissonance
    * Castlevania - Symphony of The Night
    * Cave Story
    * Super Metroid
    * Metroid Fusion
    * Metroid Zero Mission

Out of that list, if your only going to play one, play Symphony of The Night. Whilst Super Metroid is fantastic, SOTN was the game changer.
    I mentioned I had played all the Castlevania ones, but thanks. I'm curious though, why'd you leave out Castlevania: Order of Oclessia? It's the second best one after Symphony of the Night IMO. It's not as open or deep as SOTN, but it has absolutely solid combat (as opposed to just spamming soul steal and other OP stuff in SOTN).

Ah sorry. Half asleep didn't read that bit.

I've not played any of the DS Castlevania's, since emulation wasn't good for the DS (last I checked).

Level 10,000 achieved
    Anticipated 2016:
    American Truck Simulator
    Gravity Rush 1+2
    Valkyria Chronicles sequel
    Kôna
    KARASKI!
    Wild?
    FC:Primal
    and the ones that everybody already mentioned(DX:MD, ME2, DS3, Dying Light DLC, Styx 2, etc.)

Oh and of course VR GOGGLES (of some sort)!

Quote Originally Posted by GMDX Dev View Post
    Metroidvanias
    Shadow Complex is a very good one, and it's free this month! Axiom Verge I haven't played, but it's supposed to be A BIG DEAL. Xeodrifter is one I played through a little while back. It's pretty barebones and not very long, but the gameplay is tight! Challenging, but not too challenging.
    Last edited by henke; 10th Dec 2015 at 03:14.

Classical Master 2008
    The two games I am most interested in are Underworld Ascendant and Grimoire, but I don't expect either of them to be released in 2016.

Tangiers is the one I have some hopes for, but they seem to have run through their budget according to the latest update, so who knows.

Definitely:
    • Dark Souls 3
    • Underworld Ascendant. Although I think this will be a 2017 release
    • Deus Ex 4
    • Dishonored 2
    • XCOM 2
    • Mass Effect: Andromeda
    • Cyberpunk 2077

Probably:
    • No Man's Sky
    • Uncharted 4. Haven't played any of the previous ones but have heard great things about them.

Maybe:
    • ME: Catalyst
    • Doom 4
    • Firewatch
    • Star Citizen. Only if it has aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by GMDX Dev View Post
    Can you recommend me your top three?
    Well I don't want to derail the thread, but here are some good ones:

Castle in the darkness (very basic 2-button NES-style game, but highly rewarding if you stick with it)
    Shovel Knight (not quite a Metroidvania, but it's platforming refined to absolute perfection)
    Insanely twisted shadow planet
    Ori and the blind forest
    Steamworld dig
    Dust an elysian tail
    Valdis story

For their 3D counterpart you have of course the recent Batman games and the Darksiders series.

verbose douchebag
    My backlog is also reaching "to be completed by grandchildren" proportions, so I'm going to try to limit purchases entirely. That said, I've already pre-purchased XCOM2 - first pre-purchase since AC3.
    Dark Souls 3 & ME:Andromeda are of interest.

I don't have much I'm actively looking forward to in gaming. The titles I can think of that are on my watch list at the moment are:

Shadow Warrior 2
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Overwatch

None of them are must buys and heavily depend on how they turn out.

As far as interesting newer Metroidvanias go, Unepic and the Shantae games should be mentioned as well.

I want to second henke's mention of Axiom Verge; I haven't played it myself either, but apparently it's the best (or at least the closest) representation of the Super Metroid template on PC.

As far as next year's games are concerned, I'm not actually looking forward to anything (other than Torment: Tides of Numenera, perhaps), not because I don't think there are any good games coming out but because I've got so many things to play as it is. I'm sure I'll get a number of new titles, but right now I'm mostly looking forward to tackling some of my backlog.

Oh, and this little thing called VR. A work colleague of mine went to a one-day meeting this week where they were able to try out Birdly, and she came away completely flabbergasted by the experience. I'm looking forward to being flabbergasted myself, in the comfort of my own home.

I'm not travelling to New York to be a bird for ten minutes, but it looks fun.

I'm definitely looking forward to Dishonored 2. After Digital Nightfall totes lied when I asked if you could possess a whale and talk to other whales, I'm expecting the sequel to deliver that promise.

Stellaris is coming in February and I can't wait. It's Paradox's take on 4X in space, and apparently is aiming to be easier to get started with as early game is mostly exploration, before turning into a complex mish-mash of alliances, federations, and internal politics mid-game. I think the difficulty curve is something that Paradox is trying to tackle. Their games have been successful, but all of them so far slap you with complexity from the start, rather than easing you in.

Also waiting to see how Rising Storm 2 turns out, and of course, the new Deus Ex game. In all honesty, I've been too busy playing games to check out what's coming next year.

The new Hitman and Dishonored 2 for the most part.

Forgot to mention Torment, considering I backed it. Same goes for Battle Tech.

After Shadowrun Returns, Dragonfall and Hong Kong, I have good faith in Harebrained Schemes to make something good.

And I forgot to mention Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Mount & Blade II, that first-person puzzle game that Jonathan Blow is making (*looks up the name*) ... The Witness, the new expansion for Arma 3.

I bet there's still more that I've forgotten about. I also ended up finding Tharsis, which looks a bit odd - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khKm0T2NeAQ
    It looks like an FTL board game, (or at least more of a straight board game than FTL).

And, I guess Cossacks 3 might end up all right, but everyone still wants Stalker 2.

All of the games I look forward to have been mentioned already: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2, Dark Souls 3, Mass Effect Andromeda and Tangiers. I kind of plan to 'insta-buy' these, but time will tell how I see things when they are released. I also plan to get the Witcher 3 DLCs sometime (the second one comes out next year). Btw I hope Tangiers will make it, I really like what I've seen from it so far.

I can't remember the last time I read an update from the Tangiers people which didn't begin with "bad news."

Oh yeah, I also forgot to add Battlefleet Gothic: Armarda - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWteWul9cBE

Seriously, I bet there's still more that I've forgotten.

DOOM4 | XCOM 2 | DX:MD | Dishonored 2 | Shadow Warrior 2

And HL3 obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    I forgot about that one. While I enjoyed the most recent TR, I'm hoping that they will take the focus back to exploration over combat again. I'm sure I'll pick it up at some stage but will probably wait until it's on sale.

It's a good hope, but sadly I doubt it.
    Especially considering it's out on XBox already, and the one review I actually looked at (Zero Punctuation) basically said that once again, the actual cool tomb-raiding and exploring bits are mostly optional side-quests, while the repetitive mass-murder combat is mandatory.