TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 Campaign - Keeper of Infinity 2: Mission 1 - Bad Venture (6 Jan 2016)

I'm about the same as you Martian. Not as much loot as you though. I can't find that spider anywhere either
    I did not know that Jonas has 2 hideouts

EDIT: Sorry Marbrien, stupid auto correct.
    Last edited by llanita; 8th Jan 2016 at 12:41.

Disoriented and stuck

This version differs too much from the previous release to rely on my memories to proceed...

1) How to get into the wine cellar? The wall grate I used in the old version does not open...
    2) Is there any way to enter the SE corner house behind the House of Science? Previously it had an openable window within reach from the low roof...
    3) I entered Thereon's room, got his book but neither his hidden wall safe, nor his attic key
    4) Currently I'm trapped in Jonas' room in the Tavern basement (with the glyph teleport); I returned here after reading Thereon's notes - but I cannot find the secret, and the rainbow portal stopped working

For the first time I'm playing on Normal (Taffer), and already struggling...

Thanks. The answer to C got me the attic key, then I got the forest key, and now I've got the guards after me. But the Clean & Cozy is still not open. I have an objective to get some rest, but don't know where to fulfill it. (BTW, I can assure you the sewer watchman and his tower were named just that in my objective)
    Last edited by Marbrien; 8th Jan 2016 at 11:16.

Quote Originally Posted by csamba View Post
    Disoriented and stuck

This version differs too much from the previous release to rely on my memories to proceed...

1) How to get into the wine cellar? The wall grate I used in the old version does not open...
    2) Is there any way to enter the SE corner house behind the House of Science? Previously it had an openable window within reach from the low roof...
    3) I entered Thereon's room, got his book but neither his hidden wall safe, nor his attic key
    4) Currently I'm trapped in Jonas' room in the Tavern basement (with the glyph teleport); I returned here after reading Thereon's notes - but I cannot find the secret, and the rainbow portal stopped working

For the first time I'm playing on Normal (Taffer), and already struggling...
    For me (playing on Keeper): 1) The grate to get into the wine cellar can be reached with and opened by the crowbar, nothing else.
    2. I have entered that house via the barrel, the low roof, and one of its first floor (European numbering) windows.
    3. I don't think I have been in Thereon's room yet. But the attic key came from elsewhere (near Jonas, when I found him the second time, using the manhole cover (also opens with the crow bar) near the Police Station .
    4. With your back to the portal, approach the right hand statue. At the back left of its niche, about level with the top of its shield, is an indentation containing a lever. This opens a panel to the left of the fireplace. Read the contents, then you can leave via the portal.

@Necrobob
    Where excatly is this manhole??

Quote Originally Posted by T-Linkz View Post
    @Necrobob
    Where excatly is this manhole??

It's just outside the Police Station. That is the building where the police man sleeps at his desk, that you can enter via a grate at the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Marbrien View Post
    ...approach the right hand statue. At the back left of its niche, about level with the top of its shield, is an indentation containing a lever. This opens a panel to the left of the fireplace. Read the contents, then you can leave via the portal.
    Thanks a bunch! I'm out now, ready to continue with the attic key
    However, neither 1 nor 2 seem to work for me (they did exactly as you say - in the old version )

Been playing Bad Venture for two evenings now, and I am very impressed. Even better than the first version, I think.

I've just met Jonas (the glyph in inventory spawned a teleporter in a basement storage room at the tavern) and he's given me a new objective. But I can't get out of his place!

I can see what looks like a teleporter behind a bookcase, but I can't find a way to move the boookcase. Something highlights (or at least shrinks inventory stuff) when I look at the lower part of the bookcase but nothing happens when I frob there (with or without holding stuff in my inventory). What do I need to do??

Quote Originally Posted by jiansonz View Post
    Been playing Bad Venture for two evenings now, and I am very impressed. Even better than the first version, I think.

I've just met Jonas (the glyph in inventory spawned a teleporter in a basement storage room at the tavern) and he's given me a new objective. But I can't get out of his place!

I can see what looks like a teleporter behind a bookcase, but I can't find a way to move the boookcase. Something highlights (or at least shrinks inventory stuff) when I look at the lower part of the bookcase but nothing happens when I frob there (with or without holding stuff in my inventory). What do I need to do??
    There should be a frobbable book in the bookcase in front of the portal. Its highish up on the left, I think.

There should be a frobbable book in the bookcase in front of the portal. Its highish up on the left, I think.
    Thanks for the help.

Hi!
    The manhole and the entrance to the wine cellar doesn't highlight for me at all...
    Should I have to do something first to make them frobbable? Or what could be it? I'm playing on Taffer (Normal) difficulty.
    Last edited by Taylor; 8th Jan 2016 at 14:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    The manhole and the entrance to the wine cellar doesn't highlight for me at all...
    Should I have to do something first to make them frobbable? Or what could be it? I'm playing on Taffer (Normal) difficulty.
    Apparently, the entrance to the wine cellar in the first mission can't be used on easiest difficulty ("Taffer"). The manhole near the police station does highlight only after you have read a certain book, I think.

Concerning Thereon's room: It's still the same as in the single mission version; you find it in the "Stumbled Traveler" inn. Floating stones show you that you have reached the room. You can find Thereon's notes in that room, but not the attic key anymore. The secret compartment with the book inside that counts as loot (not the one named "Thereon's notes"!) is still there, but the hidden switch to open it has moved a bit; it now can be found behind the right rim/edge of the wardrobe opposite the bed, about halfway up the wardrobe. Unfortunately that means that usually, you will be standing in the way of the secret door that opens when using the switch. You better walk back a bit, lean forward (ALT-W), use the switch and release the "lean" key immediately. The secret door should open then.

The attic key will show up later when you find Jonas dead body.
    Last edited by baeuchlein; 8th Jan 2016 at 16:04. Reason: Something more concerning Thereon's room

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    Apparently, the entrance to the wine cellar in the first mission can't be used on easiest difficulty ("Taffer").
    Good.
    And it means, no wine cellar on that difficulty? Or there's just an other way in?
    And what about the sewer entrance? Did I missed something?

There's a door in lady adalines house that is locked and I can't open. Does anyone know how?

I haven't finished the first mission yet, so I don't know for sure whether there is another way into the wine cellar. I'm mainly copying and pasting what someone stated on the German TTLG forums a bit earlier: Everything seems to be normal on higher difficulty levels.

Concerning the sewer entrance: I just edited my post above; the manhole near the police station can be opened with the crowbar, but only after you have read a book. I think it's Jonas' diary. After that, the manhole should be frobbable, and you can open it with the crowbar, revealing the sewers below.

llanita, in Lady Adalines house there's only one door I remember which was locked, and that is the main entrance, found on the lowest level of the house, where you can steal an urn among one or two other things. On easiest difficulty level ("Taffer"), I was able to pick the lock with my lockpicks, if I recall it correctly.

I'm getting closer to the end in Bad Venture (Keeper difficulty), but I am not sure what to do now. I have the Forest key. Other than a couple of "don't do this" objectives, I have these remaining:

* Silver in the caves (I grabbed the main stash but may be missing a nugget or two)
    * Scare Mr. Cleman
    * There are no rooms available
    * Rest

The last three seem to be tied together.

I can't get into Mr. Cleman's room. In the first version of the mission, IIRC, his room opened by itself once you were this far into the mission.

Maybe I need to find all the silver first?

EDIT: Found THREE more silver nuggets, but that's still not enough to satisfy the objective!
    (and the damn mage and stonebeast don't make it easy to search the place either...)
    Last edited by jiansonz; 8th Jan 2016 at 18:36.

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    Concerning the sewer entrance: I just edited my post above; the manhole near the police station can be opened with the crowbar, but only after you have read a book. I think it's Jonas' diary. After that, the manhole should be frobbable, and you can open it with the crowbar, revealing the sewers below.
    Jonas' diary? Actually I read the book in the police station, book/scrolls in Lady Adaline's house, and the books/scrolls in the watch station area.
    What did I miss?

You need to go underground via the hole outside where the policeman sleeps at his desk. Eventually in that underground area you will find a mage's wand which will destroy the vegetation covering the door to the next area.
    To clarify, you won't be able to get down that hole until you receive an objective to find a way to break the spell blocking access to the other part of town. In order to get that objective, you have to try to cut the bush away with your sword. At least, this is true on Expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Jonas' diary? Actually I read the book in the police station, book/scrolls in Lady Adaline's house, and the books/scrolls in the watch station area.
    What did I miss?
    To enter the manhole and get into the sewers, Garrett first needs to find a fellow Keeper, Jonas. Later on, when Jonas has vanished again, one can get his hidden diary, which gives you a reason to go into the sewers. So, if you have not yet found the Keeper, just ignore the manhole for the time being until later in the mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar
    To clarify, you won't be able to get down that hole until you receive an objective to find a way to break the spell blocking access to the other part of town. In order to get that objective, you have to try to cut the bush away with your sword. At least, this is true on Expert
    This is true on Taffer (easiest difficulty level) as well. I guess it's the same for all difficulty levels.

Quote Originally Posted by jiasonz
    I'm getting closer to the end in Bad Venture, but I am not sure what to do now. I have the Forest key. Other than a couple of "don't do this" objectives, I have only these remaining:

* Silver in the caves (I grabbed the main stash but may be missing a nugget or two)
    * Scare Mr. Cleman
    * Rest

I can't get into Mr. Cleman's room. In the first version of the mission, IIRC, his room opened by itself once you were this far into the mission.

I don't think so. At least on easiest difficulty level, I did not need to do that.

I think I needed to search Keeper Jonas (or rather his dead body) for a crystal, then when I went upstairs in the "Stumbled Traveler Inn", Garrett mumbled something barely audible about spiders or something like that. Happened automatically, anyway. I do not remember whether the door to Cleman's room opened before that, but it's open now, and it opened on its own. I don't have the "There are no rooms available" objecive from your list, by the way.
    Last edited by baeuchlein; 8th Jan 2016 at 18:54. Reason: Added info about Cleman objective

Quote Originally Posted by jiansonz View Post
    I'm getting closer to the end in Bad Venture, but I am not sure what to do now. I have the Forest key. Other than a couple of "don't do this" objectives, I have only these remaining:

* Scare Mr. Cleman
    * Rest

EDIT: Found THREE more silver nuggets, but that's still not enough to satisfy the objective!
    (and the damn mage and stonebeast don't make it easy to search the place either...)
    We seem to be stuck at the same point. I cannot get into the Clean & Cozy (which, in the older version of this FM, contained the spider needed to scare Cleman). Presumably Cleman's room opens when you have the spider in the jar. I too seem to have missed some silver in the mine, despite a very careful search impeded by the annoying mage and stone beast.

We seem to be stuck at the same point. [...]Presumably Cleman's room opens when you have the spider in the jar.
    No, that's not it. I don't have the spider, just an empty jar, and somewhere in the mission, his door opened on his own. I got some mumbled message from Garrett, though (see my post above for a few more details).

I'm stuck here as well. Playing on "Taffer" (easiest level), by the way. I have several objectives and no idea on how to complete any of the ones which are not done yet:

DONE: "Find Jonas' hide-out in 'The Stumbled Traveler Inn'."
    Marked as failed: "Find out what the Keepers are hiding."
    DONE but not visible anymore: "Jonas is dead, so it's useless to find his hide-out right now. Better check the inn's attic."

unchecked: "Inspect the House of Science. There's something wrong with this place." EDIT: Done that. See below.
    Not visible anymore, but was readable before: "Thereon has sent a messenger for reinforcements and tomorrow the Mages will infiltrate the House of Science! You should let Jonas know."
    DONE: "Change of plans. Steal the forest key. While the Mages will be waiting for the reinforcements, you may infiltrate the House of Science through the abandoned church's catacombs."

DONE: "Steal 3200."
    DONE but not visible anymore: "Find the second hide-out of Jonas, under the sewer watchman's tower."
    DONE: "Magic... damn it! You need to dispel it somehow."
    unchecked: "What beasts are they? You should let the Keepers know about them at the first opportunity. But right now it's time to get some rest."
    DONE but not visible anymore: "The crystal! You need to keep it safe until you meet the Keepers. It should be somewhere in Jonas' cloak."
    unchecked: "It's certain that Thereon has already created the report. When you've finished with Jonas, deal with that Mage."
    unchecked: "Mr. Cleman is afraid of insects. How would he react if he found a spider on his chest? Non-poisonous, of course. It's time for this guy to grow a pair."
    unchecked: "Jacob wants me not to disturb Lady Adaline."
    unchecked: "Do not harm unarmed people or attempt to kill anyone."
    unchecked: "The Mages are important for this place, so don't touch them or their guards."

By the way, there appear to be some bugs present concerning some of the objectives.

First, there are several guards which seem to be considered "unarmed" by "Thief". Hitting them once with the sword (and not killing them) ends the mission with the objective "Do not harm unarmed people or attempt to kill anyone" marked as "failed". For example, the guard patrolling before the "Stumbled Traveler Inn" and carrying a lantern is one of those. Another one is in the passage connecting the shack with the Forest key and the small alleyway next to the inn. Unless, of course, just harming these guards is already considered an attempt to kill them. EDIT: I now re-read the "long" version of the objective again, and it's clear that even "a case of self-defence" counts as an attempt to kill. So it's not a bug, sorry.

Second, there are problems connected to reading Thereon's notes and/or Jonas' diary. These books make new objectives appear, and once Garrett discovers Keeper Jonas' second hideout, both objectives disappear again. However, if one reads these books again after discovering the second hideout, these objectives appear again. This time, they won't vanish if Garrett goes to the hideout once again. Whether this is a problem at the end of the mission, I don't know, since I haven't finished it yet.

EDIT: Fulfilled the objective to inspect the House of Science by climbing onto the small roof over the rear doors of the House of Science; the ones where there's no note from Thereon attached. To do so, I took the crate from the cart parked to the right of the doors, placed it to the left of the statue standing left of the doors, then climbed onto the crate and then onto the roof. Maybe I frobbed the glowing thingy up there, I don't know. Anyway, there was some writing onscreen, and Garrett said something about a creature, and then the objective ticked off.
    Last edited by baeuchlein; 8th Jan 2016 at 22:06. Reason: Added info about fulfilling an objective

@baeuchlein:

* having a spider-in-a-jar does not help for getting Cleman's door open.

* At some point in the game (after I had done other things), the door to Clean & Cozy became unlocked.

It seems several of us need someone who was involved in the making or testing of the mission, or who has played beyond this point in the first mission, to tell us exactly what we need to do:

a) to cause the Clean & Cozy to open
    b) to cause Cleman's room to open
    c) to find the really well hidden silver nuggets

and whether the actions differ on different difficulty levels. For me, none of these things have happened yet. Others have done a) or b), but without knowing how!
    Last edited by Marbrien; 9th Jan 2016 at 04:19.

Same with me.

I am still unable to find out anything about the House of science. I cannot climb up via the statue using the crate

Down in the mines looking for the silver..is the rock guy killable? He's blocking my way out. Also, regarding the rocks, how long do you have to keep hitting the rocks to get silver??
    Last edited by llanita; 9th Jan 2016 at 05:11.

Quote Originally Posted by llanita View Post
    Same with me.

I am still unable to find out anything about the House of science. I cannot climb up via the statue using the crate
    I could jump+mantle up on the statues from the side, no problem. No crate needed, the flower beds gave me the needed extra height.

Are you sure you have new_mantle on? If you aren't, open up cam_ext.cfg and make sure the line with new_mantle does not start with a ; (semicolon)

Quote Originally Posted by llanita View Post
    Down in the mines looking for the silver..is the rock guy killable? He's blocking my way out.
    Also, regarding the rocks, how long do you have to keep hitting the rocks to get silver??
    A few times. I may be imagining things, but overhead strikes seem to be the most effective.

Rock beast seems unkillable. Maybe possible with explosions/fire, but I have none of that.
    Last edited by jiansonz; 9th Jan 2016 at 05:26.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast