TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rise of the Tomb Raider

Ah, GMDX Dev is here, now this thread is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Manwe View Post
    In regards to the mass murdering aspect, to be fair the originals suffered from this as well. Especially 3.
    Yes, indeed. But the very first one had only a very small number of human enemies, and its remake (Anniversary) had even less, and usually only let you interact with them in QTEs instead of fighting/murdering them directly.

But the mass murdering aspect annoyed me even more in the 2013 because it conflicted so strongly with the story.

(I must admit that I've only played the original (way back when it was new), a little of 2, and then the Crystal Dynamics saga.)

verbose douchebag
    I still like the T-Rex encounter in the first one:

"Ah a species of animal thought to be extinct, this could be the scientific find of the century!"

Sound of gun being unholstered

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Rhetoric, rhetoric, blah blah blah. "Passive", "interactive", these make very little sense if you compare Uncharted and Tomb Raider, two games that are practically identical in conceptual and mechanical terms.
    Yup. This.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    UnSharted
    Stop this. You're an adult.

As I said I'm on the fence. I WILL buy this game and play it only because I"m a hopeless Lara fan. Played the original back in 96 and actually played TR2 and beat it without any kind of guide. It's one of my most favorite gaming experiences, especially the wreck of the Maria Doria the Tibetan Tomb after the monastery, and inside the Temple of Xian. This, despite the focus on bullet sponge Italian toughs that Lara mows down, is my fondest memory. I'm still not terribly fond of TR3 in comparison to the first 2, and I have to admit to never having finished Revelations or Chronicles. I also thought Angel of Darkness was quite fun, with the addition of the RPG elements, despite all the other stuff they tried and screwed up (everybody hated that game, but such is my curse apparently). I was most irked, however, by how much it tried to be like the movie, which had only come out a year or so earlier.

I realize that my blinding nostalgic urges were what initially what turned me off the Crystal Dynamics reboot because of the loss of tank controls, but I think tank controls and traversal are 2 different issues. But something needed to happen. A resident evil 4 style re-invention of the franchise, The reason few people liked TR3 and LR and Chronicles was the same reason Code Veronica and Gun survivor were so critically ill received. Flogging a horse is okay for a bit, but once it's dead nobody really wants to keep at it (ie. myself, aorementioned hopeless Lara fan who hasn't played 2 of the games in the main series). Lara needed her infusion of Las Plagas innovation, and I don't really think Crystal Dynamics or Ubisoft has done it. Copying Naughty Dog with a few extra mechanics and trying to make us feel sorry for Lara every time she bumps her funny bone just won't cut it.

I believe that gaming COULD enter a very interesting time right now, we have the technology to do almost anything, and we have technological tie-ins that could run the gamut of extremely useful and engaging, to useless gimmicks. Smart phones could be used for SO MUCH even with desktop master-race PC gaming, and it doesn't have to involve grinding and microtransactions.

Striking the right balance between gimmick and innovation is hard. I understand that, especially with hundreds of millions of dollars on the line for a AAA studio. But hyping stuff up as new when it isn't doesn't help anybody's opinion.

I was excited about Brink,
    I had friends excited about Titan Fall,
    A lot of people here were excited about Survarium b/c Stalker...
    I was excited about R6 Siege....

But they were all just counterstrike and team fortress clones. I haven't played it yet, but I'm worried the new GITS game thats F2P on steam right now will be going the same way.

I'm willing to bet Rise of the TR won't be a BAD game. The real problem I will likely complain about is it falling so short of it's potential. I'll give it a shot later. Probably pick it up from Gamesdeal b/c Canadian currency sucks right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    I haven't played it yet, but I'm worried the new GITS game thats F2P on steam right now will be going the same way.
    GITS is crying out for a Deus Ex style game, instead we get what appears to be yet another a run-of-the mill team shooter. The PSone outing aside, I don't think there's been a decent use of its licence on any gaming format (and yes I'm aware you just blasted things, but the 360 degree fuchikoma movement added a fairly unique touch and the cut scenes were wonderful, filling out the story nicely).

As for the new TR game, I enjoyed the reboot and I'll probably pick up this one once it's dropped in price/on Steam sale because the focus on combat is putting me off. More Tomb Raiding, less body count. I found it strange that the tombs seemed to be tacked on optional areas, something that could be skipped in order to get to the next part where you gunned down legions of grubby tramps, and from the looks of it RotTR hasn't changed that.

Quote Originally Posted by driver View Post
    GITS is crying out for a Deus Ex style game, instead we get what appears to be yet another a run-of-the mill team shooter.
    Exactly my point. If I were a game studio looking for license title. I'd hit this up as hard as I could fight for it. With cyberspace and real life you could have a SS1 clone, along with the augs and the intrigue of DX. Instead we get counterstrike. Such a waste.

Finally played my first Tomb Raider games ever, being the first 2 Crystal Dynamics games. I know Legend was hailed as a much-needed change in the formula at the time, but I thought it was pretty bad playing it today. A very brief game with entirely linear levels, mind-numbingly easy puzzles, way too much emphasis on combat (and the combat mechanics are terrible and not fun at all), an annoying headset, and a poorly written story.

Anniversary was much, much better. There's a lot more actual tomb raiding, the game is on the long side, the levels are HUGE and the puzzles are often quite tricky (St Francis Folly especially stuck out to me as an excellently designed level), no headset, no combat with humans, etc. I didn't enjoy what little combat there was, but it was used sparingly enough that I could live with it. The writing and story were still awful, but there was so little dialogue in the game that I was also ok with that.

Just started Underworld, it seems to be a nice compromise between the two approaches - bigger levels, no headset, less frequent combat with humans than Legend (and while the combat still sucks, it's definitely better than it was in Legend). However, the camera is driving me nuts, and it becomes increasingly difficult with each game to get over what a terrible person Lara is.

Which makes me hesitant to play these reboots. If the emphasis is on more combat instead of Tomb Raiding, can't I get that from pretty much any other game in existence? It sounds like the new games are also trying to make you feel bad for Lara, but she's such an unlikable protagonist that I don't think I'll be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    and it becomes increasingly difficult with each game to get over what a terrible person Lara is.
    Funny, I've been replaying 2, 3, 4, and 5 and I thought the same. At best I found her to be a despicable person, at worst she's a psychotic murderer. And it's not even a matter of cognitive dissonance between gameplay and cutscene. She's actually written as a horrible cunt who enjoys killing people in the most sadistic ways.

There's a scene at the beginning of 5 where she's about to fall to her death, and the bad guy offers to help her out, but asks in exchange that she doesn't lay a finger on him when she's safe. When the situation is reversed a minute later, what does she do? Walks away saying "I can't help you, I promised I wouldn't lay a finger on you" as the guy falls to his death.

The guy just saved your life you fucking psycho!

Yeah, in every game other than Anniversary (and TR1), she's extremely unlikeable.

Granted, most video game protagonists are evil mass murderers, but it's not always as charged as 'rich white woman gets bored and goes around the world stealing ancient artifacts and desecrating tombs while mass-murdering endangered animals and any people that stand in her way'.

Quote Originally Posted by Manwe View Post
    There's a scene at the beginning of 5 where she's about to fall to her death, and the bad guy offers to help her out, but asks in exchange that she doesn't lay a finger on him when she's safe. When the situation is reversed a minute later, what does she do? Walks away saying "I can't help you, I promised I wouldn't lay a finger on you" as the guy falls to his death.

The guy just saved your life you fucking psycho!
    That's not quite accurate. Firstly he's stopping her from climbing up herself, only offering to help/get out the way once he's made it clear he's going to rob her blind then rob her again once she's found the treasures in the tomb they're in. Secondly, he doesn't fall to his death as he reappears in the first game (The part of Chronicles he appears in is set before that outing), where Lara does actually kill him, but only after he attacks her. Seeing as he and his partner had tried to kill and rob her on several occasions just prior to that moment, I think there's a certain justification for letting him fall.

I'm not saying that Lara isn't a mass-murdering psychopath with a penchant for slaughtering countless people and endangered species, I'm just saying that's not the most egregious example.

Quote Originally Posted by driver View Post
    Secondly, he doesn't fall to his death as he reappears in the first game (The part of Chronicles he appears in is set before that outing), where Lara does actually kill him, but only after he attacks her.
    Ah nice, I hadn't picked up on that. I still have to play 1 and I haven't played anniversary in a while.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Level 10,000 achieved
    Reeeeeeally now? Better writing than The Witcher 3?

And where's SOMA and Sunless Sea? Nudged off the nominees list by the latest Assassin's Creed game?

Not sure I trust this award. Then again I haven't played ROTTR or AC:S, maybe they do have amazing writing.

Chakat sex pillow
    It's only chosen by the WG caucus after all. At any rate, Rhianna Pratchett probably deserves something for the things she did, whatever those things were, as they mustn't have been the various scattered notes you find, which are all tediously written and even more tediously acted.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Reeeeeeally now? Better writing than The Witcher 3?

And where's SOMA and Sunless Sea? Nudged off the nominees list by the latest Assassin's Creed game?

Not sure I trust this award. Then again I haven't played ROTTR or AC:S, maybe they do have amazing writing.
    I'd say that like all Assassin's Creed games, Syndicate is great for the historical tou-

Sorry, wrong record.

Like all AC games, Syndicate has some good characterisation and the scene-by-scene writing is competent and even enjoyable, but just don't look at overall plotting or thematic cohesion, or character arcs that develop over the whole game. Black Flag did those best IMO, and they did okay with Ezio over the course of his three games, but with AC's writing I always think there's a disconnect between individual scenes, which are generally well written and performed (although the characters can be hit and miss), and the game as a whole, which rarely even is the sum of its parts.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I still like the T-Rex encounter in the first one:

"Ah a species of animal thought to be extinct, this could be the scientific find of the century!"

Sound of gun being unholstered
    Those things are quite a challenge and in the first level no less! In fact the entire game is challenging right out of the gate. It really adds to the atmosphere that the environment is unrelentingly hostile. It's hard to imagine a triple A title with that level of challenge these days.

No interest in playing the new one. Games are about gameplay and interaction to me and I have no patience for a mediocre on-rails story. Did people forget that books exist? They tend to tell stories a tad better than games. The only style of story-telling games do better than any other medium is environmental (i.e. Dark Souls, Metroid), but that's rarely implemented. Instead we get plots that wouldn't even sell a comic book...

If a game reviewer starts a review by discussing the story I immediately lose interest.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

DX12 patch is here.
    http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/14...se-of-the-tomb
    Harnessing better SMP multi-threading of CPUs. Asynchronous compute too - the metal GPU utilisation on PC has arrived (via a mainstream API).

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Chakat sex pillow
    Incredibly, this DX12 patch has upped average frame rates for everywhere that was already running fairly well, and dropped it two frames per second for the one place that didn't, which was the Geothermal Valley. Good job, but probably needs more effort. Should be more optimisation incoming from what I've read.

Level 10,000 achieved

Rise from thy tomb (raider), thread!

I'm late to the party on this one but perhaps I'm not the only one? I've also spotted Sulphur and Thirith playing it recently. I'm currently 5 hours in, at the Soviet Base. I've been a bit worried I'd fallen completely out of love with big-budget AAA western action-adventure games. The most recent one's I've played (Horizon Zero Dawn, Quantum Break, Uncharted 4), I've felt pretty meh about. So I'm surprised and delighted at how much I'm enjoying ROTTR. I can't really point to anything it does better than those other games either. It's videogamey as hell, the story isn't much to write home about, and the gameplay is very polished. Perhaps I'm just in the right frame of mind for something like this right now.

Just played the part where you get your hands on an assault rifle for the first time and I thought it was one of the best actionscenes I've experienced in a game in a while.

I've tried three times to install RotTB and all three times the installation failed miserably. Finally had to ask Steam for a refund; too frustrated to try again. (DL completes, hit play, then blank, black screen until I have to use Task Mgr. to close the program.)

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I'm late to the party on this one but perhaps I'm not the only one? I've also spotted Sulphur and Thirith playing it recently. I'm currently 5 hours in, at the Soviet Base. I've been a bit worried I'd fallen completely out of love with big-budget AAA western action-adventure games. The most recent one's I've played (Horizon Zero Dawn, Quantum Break, Uncharted 4), I've felt pretty meh about. So I'm surprised and delighted at how much I'm enjoying ROTTR. I can't really point to anything it does better than those other games either. It's videogamey as hell, the story isn't much to write home about, and the gameplay is very polished. Perhaps I'm just in the right frame of mind for something like this right now.

Just played the part where you get your hands on an assault rifle for the first time and I thought it was one of the best actionscenes I've experienced in a game in a while.

It's extremely competent, enormously pretty, and hits all the requisite AAA spots; consequently, it's very playable while being blander than an unseasoned steak. As you can tell, I have a love/hate relationship with it. I don't enjoy Lara being a remorseless mass murderer, and that AK video highlights the problem really well.

Anyway, I booted it up to polish off the DLC, which seems interesting since I grew up reading folk tales from Russia and the Ukraine and know who Baba Yaga is. I'm hoping TRTRTR has some fun with the horror potential of that theme.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 27th Jan 2018 at 10:22.

Baba Yaga is incredibly short, but it does pack in a few neat set pieces during that time.

I quite enjoyed RotTR, but the series definitely has lost some of the adventuring spirit of earlier titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Anyway, I booted it up to polish off the DLC, which seems interesting since I grew up reading folk tales from Russia and the Ukraine and know who Baba Yaga is. I'm hoping TRTRTR has some fun with the horror potential of that theme.
    It's an interesting bit of story with some nice visuals. And they do play around with some horror themes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast