TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rise of the Tomb Raider

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    I've tried three times to install RotTB and all three times the installation failed miserably. Finally had to ask Steam for a refund; too frustrated to try again. (DL completes, hit play, then blank, black screen until I have to use Task Mgr. to close the program.)
    I was going to say see if downgrading to DX11 in the settings helps. I had this issue with Tomb Raider and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and I had to do that to both to get them to work. This was on an RX470 card so shouldn't have been an issue.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Finished it!

Did anyone else here finish the final boss like this?

Overall, loved it! Both the stealth-action and the actual tomb raiding are an improvemenet on TR2013. The story is ok I guess? So, uh... 8/10!

Screenies!

Last edited by henke; 4th Feb 2018 at 15:52.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Did anyone else here finish the final boss like this?
    I did not. Now I feel I missed out.

Level 10,000 achieved
    btw here's my friends leaderboard, aka TTLG FINAL STATS! (until someone else plays it)

(unfortunately Completed Challenges, etc. aren't showing up on my end. Seems to be a common issue.)

Whole lotta TTLGers played this I see. Malf (Mungrul) is #1 in pretty much every region.

Moderator and Priest
    I liked Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I bought the original reboot during the Christmas sale, and while I'll admit I haven't played more than 45 minutes of it, already I think the sequel is a much better designed game than it.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 5th Feb 2018 at 04:11.

Rise of the Tomb Raider

It is, which bodes well for Shadow if they build on it even further. The 2013 reboot is still well worth playing though, imo.

My biggest issue with the TR games is that their stories are, well, just a bit shit (I think this holds true for both Core’s and Crystal Dynamics’ iterations).
    Last edited by N'Al; 5th Feb 2018 at 02:28.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, that's always been the case. I think for Core's games, though, at least you didn't have to care: Lara was a ridiculous set of tits and swagger fronting a game about cool action platforming and not much else. CD's latest approach tries to give her a personality, but in grounding her character so completely, they've also killed anything interesting about her. Constant striving is now her sole defining attribute, and it gets tiring very quickly. The villains get slightly more complex motivations than Lara, but that's wasted effort when the most she brings to the table is possibly survivor syndrome.

It’ll be interesting to see how the movie handles it which AFAIK is a 1 to 1 translation of the 2013 reboot.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I don't think it's quite 1:1.

Then again I don't actually remember the plot of the 2013 games well enough to say exactly how this differs, but Trinity weren't in the first game, were they?

Chakat sex pillow
    Nope. This combines elements of TRTRTR2013 and RotTRTRTR as far as I can tell. Kudos on keeping the plane in the river bit, that was one of the more spectacular parts of the reboot.

btw here's my friends leaderboard, aka TTLG FINAL STATS! (until someone else plays it)
    I appear to be missing from this list. Does it only pull it from your direct friends list and not TTLG-kru?

Thing What Kicks
    I know I played it intensely, if briefly, but I don't think I enjoyed it as much as the 2013 reboot.
    I think that was mostly down to my incredulity at an ancient, isolated sect of suspiciously white people having universally bland, northern American voices. I played it after having recently played MGS V and Witcher 3, both of which did an outstanding job of differentiating people's languages and accents.

That and Lara's voice actress was absolutely appallingly bad, with exceptionally stilted delivery of lines showing no understanding or interpretation of the lines she was reading from the script.

And for all that people complained about the sheer quantity of scenes in the first game that wouldn't let the player, you know, play, there were far more memorable moments in that game than in Rise. I struggle to remember a single set-piece in Rise, except for maybe the Babba Yaga DLC, whereas the first game had lots of things that I can easily remember now, 5 years after playing it.
    This in itself is telling, as apparently I only put 20 hours in to the first game, but 47 in to Rise.

I think the new TR games are well made, and I enjoyed my time with them, but they didn't grab me that much. It doesn't help that most of the games are spent shooting generic mercenaries, which apart from being boring, for me always felt in conflict with the narrative, even in Rise where Lara is supposedly tougher, except she isn't. I feel both games kick into gear in the very last area, where the supernatural comes into play, and then they suddenly end. I liked the lore in both of them though, the stuff you uncover via collectibles. The challenge tombs were fun too, but there were way too few of them (and of puzzles in general). I think Shadow will have the exact same formula - 90% of shooting human enemies, with one interesting chapter at the end, minimal puzzles and lots of collectibles, etc.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I appear to be missing from this list. Does it only pull it from your direct friends list and not TTLG-kru?
    Friends list. I have corrected this friendship-oversight and sent you a Steam friend-request.

I don't think it's quite 1:1.
    Damn you and your ability to pay attention!

Chakat sex pillow
    This should probably go in another TR thread, but it's the most conveniently available one (can you tell I'm lazy yet?).

Ever since I played the original TR and CD's spiritually faithful trilogy (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld), one of the games' not-often-talked about features has been one of its primary draws for me: every time you fail, it's a comedy sepukku simulator.

There was one time during Anniversary where I had, inside of five minutes, tumbled Lara off a cliff wall, jumped her off a pillar into a pit of spikes, then mistimed a stupidly easy jump that ended with her slamming bonelessly onto the ground below. A friend watching this, completely unaware of how video games work, bemusedly asked me, 'Are you actually trying to kill that poor lady?'

I don't think I was, but it's easy to see why giggling in disbelief at her ragdolling every time something horrible happened could give someone that impression. It's only now that I learn that CD was always in on the joke. To wit, a video that shows you what happens when you failed those infamous(ly easy) QTEs:

Last edited by Sulphur; 16th Feb 2018 at 04:29.

Level 10,000 achieved

Chakat sex pillow
    :sniff: It's like someone finally understands me. :honk:

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    There was one time during Anniversary where I had, inside of five minutes, tumbled Lara off a cliff wall, jumped her off a pillar into a pit of spikes, then mistimed a stupidly easy jump that ended with her slamming bonelessly onto the ground below. A friend watching this, completely unaware of how video games work, bemusedly asked me, 'Are you actually trying to kill that poor lady?'
    At one point the TR games were creative in their game overs (Midas hand from 1/Anniversary comes to mind), but it feels like they've gotten less so since the reboot.

Also, your post reminded me of a game where you are rewarded for ragdolling into traffic and obstacles in the most excruciatingly painful and creative ways possible.

Chakat sex pillow
    Oh yeah, SR has had that minigame since the beginning and it's one of the more entertaining ones. Nothing quite tops the ludicrousness of the one in SR2 where you spray sewage all over people's houses to tweak property values while your driver swears in her sexy French accent at everyone IMO; it's always been the most intelligently stupid series in existence.

Almost done with Rise of the Tomb Raider. I'm currently in the final challenge tomb and I like how the overall pace has picked up; right now I want to continue to the end, rather than just getting it over with.

Just finished ROTTR and I really enjoyed it, believe it or not my first time beating a TR title ever and I've been playing them since 1996 They must be getting easier

They became much easier when CORE got dropped from the series. I've finished TR1, and every game since Legend except Anniversary.

Anniversary wasn’t difficult per se, but fuck me those sections with the fireball chucking imps in Atlantis were annoying.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123