TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What are you gonna watch?

Chakat sex pillow
    To be hotly followed by 'what were you watching before you started watching something else instead' and 'what you would have watched if you weren't being watched while you were watching it'.

It's watchers all the way down.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Keep talking shit about my thread and you're the one who's gonna have to WATCH IT, buddy. >:|

Whaddaya gonna do? Punch me in GTA Online?

Chakat sex pillow
    I'd watch that.

*cue supercut of henke punching TTLG members at random*
    *and in the game*

Still Subjective
    This thread is great.

Still Subjective
    And I'm going to watch Man in the High Castle eventually.

I watched the new Daredevil S2 trailer and am definitely looking forward to that. I wouldn't be interested in the Punisher as a protagonist, but as an antagonist who's a *credible* dark reflection of the hero, absolutely.

THERE, HENKE, ARE YOU HAPPY? HAVE I DONE IT RIGHT NOW?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I am happy with you. I'm less happy with the Daredevil S2 trailer. It was kinda meh.

Can we get to hypothetical variants too?

"What do you watch when having breakfast?"
    "What are you watching when no one watches you?"
    "What did you watch For The Watch?"

How many watches would the Watch watch if the Watch could watch watches?

verbose douchebag
    What watches are you watching on eBay? Do you use a watch list to list the watches you're watching?

Watchu guys doin'? Doin' my head in, that's wat.

I'll be watching Deutschland '83 soon, I think.

Yup, that one's also on our list. We've just started watching a French six-parter called Trepalium, though, about a dystopia where 80% of the world are jobless. Intriguing premise, blunt and boring execution so far.

Level 10,000 achieved
    The Netflix produced Crouching Tiger sequel is coming out on Friday so I'll probably watch that. No Ang Lee, but Yuen Woo Ping (the guy who did the martial arts chorography on the original, as well as The Matrix, Kill Bill, and a billion other things) is directing instead. And Michelle Yeoh is back! Yay! And YIP MAN YEN is in there too.

Looking forward to some artful facepunching!

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    And I'm going to watch Man in the High Castle eventually.
    So ... didn't know about this show until this comment, and now I've watched it.

I like it, quite a bit. I'll spoil this if anyone wants to watch it fresh. It's probably good not knowing what to expect, and I can spolierishly speculate some.

It's a slow burn, but I like that. You get a feel for life in a totalitarian state, and set in the US in a not-inconceivable turn of history makes it feel real. The bad guys are by far the most interesting characters.

The leads were getting knocked in forums for being boring and flat, but I actually like how they were played because they were all under incredible stress and paranoia, because the whole world around them is hostile at every turn. It's not them being flat or indecisive so much as they're not sure themselves what's the best thing to do.

So I didn't catch as much watching it myself, but reading some forums, people have cracked a lot of things that seem really interesting to me, that Hitler himself may be the Man in the High Castle, using the films to gain an advantage and leading his own antiNazi resistance.

As for the parallel universe twist, I'm interested in this if it's played right, eg, we see how much people really change, or not, depending on circumstances. I don't want to see it too overexplained or gimmicky. Some people were comparing it to Lost in a bad way--does it know where it's going? I think it does know where it's going, but the Lost analogy isn't a bad thing either. I like it swimming around in a little ambiguity, and like that sometimes the trip is as or more important as the destination.

Aside from all that, living in Japan, it's interesting to see this other side of Japanese culture, what's changed and what's the same for the culture in the show's timeline.

Chakat sex pillow
    It's based on the PKD novel, right? Because that was one of his greats, even if it tended to get a bit abstruse and meta -- probably more so because it was. Wouldn't be surprised if Lynch were a fan.

I haven't read it, but general opinion is it's about half from the book and half original or beyond the book's scope (e.g. half of it is set in NYC, which wasn't in the book), although I think a lot of the new material was even taken from notes PKD made for an unfinished sequel. But even with the totally new stuff...it has the feel of a PKD story throughout. So it has his hands on it even as it goes beyond the book. Meta stuff, mind trips, and paranoia are all there, but so is some good action and suspense, so probably more accessible than the book without gutting the PDK edge.

Level 10,000 achieved
    The best possible trailer for John Wick 2 is this footage of Keanu Reeves tearing shit up at the shooting range.

verbose douchebag
    The whole way through that (great) clip, I was just wondering what his risk of catching a ricochet off of his cover was if his timing was even slightly off.

A short masterpiece in my opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RBu-emUnJU

Level 10,000 achieved
    That was indeed very good, bassoferrol. I didn't understand a word of it of course, but that's not really necessary either.

Level 10,000 achieved

YUP

Level 10,000 achieved
    What I'm not gonna watch: Batman vs Superman.

Ok I'll probably watch it eventually, when it shows up on Netflix, but not in the cinema. The reviews are in and, boy, they're not good.

I just read Devin Faraci's scathing review of it.

It’s almost crazy how flimsy and poorly constructed the first hour of the film is. Snyder and his editors seem to have inserted scenes haphazardly; while most take place in what seem to be chronological order there is no flow from one scene to another. [...] Here’s a specific example: we cut to a scene of Perry White in the Daily Planet offices, and he’s looking for Clark Kent. “Where does Kent disappear to?” White asks. “Does he click his heels three times and show up back home in Kansas?” You can probably guess what the next cut will show us - Clark (or Superman) in Kansas. But not in BvS. Not in a movie that seems to aspire to anti-cinema. That scene is immediately followed by Lois meeting a secret source.
    He does have nice things to say about Affleck's portrayal of Batman though, going as far as calling it "what may be the best screen Batman of our time".