TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: What are you gonna watch?

Level 10,000 achieved
    SEE, MILLENIALS?

SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU KEEP TAKING SELFIES?

how about a selfie... FROM HELL????????

Moderator and Priest
    I was pretty stoked about the new Twin Peaks, but now that I've seen the trailer for Ghost Squad, it's like nothing else matters anymore.

Chakat sex pillow
    All right. You know how long it's been since The Fifth Element?

TOO GODDAMN LONG.

This really looks like it's going to be prime Luc Besson. Every particle of schlock has been preserved and redistributed across the visuals, dialogue, and whatever the hell the story is supposed to be (beyond channelling Unicron from Transformers -- how's it goin', eater of worlds?), along with the trailer score, which is an operatic version of... Gangsta's Paradise. Talk about a statement of intent.

I bet I'm going to be shovelling popcorn down with a permanent look of disbelief etched across my face when this hits a nearby theatre.

Not to be confused with Valyrian and the empire of a thousand dragons.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yes, Valerian is looking great!

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    along with the trailer score, which is an operatic version of... Gangsta's Paradise.
    Ah, yes! I didn't realize that's what it was the first time I watched it.

It's actually Pastime Paradise tho.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yep, didn't know it sampled a Stevie Wonder song until I looked it up just, like, a minute back. The more you know!

BANNED
    want to watch Get Out
    I heard it's worth watching. Like such movies

BANNED
    I'd like to watch Wonder Women. A friend of mine says it's a good one, also I am waiting for the new Spider-Man /.

Level 10,000 achieved
    There's a new Edgar Wright movie coming out!

Apparently it's out tomorrow in some lucky parts of the world, but I gotta wait almost a month before it comes round my neck of the woods. But you can bet, that once it does, I'M GONNA WATCH IT!

This looks excellent. Definitely going to see it on release in October.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ooooh! Good director, and Chan is of course one of the greatest action stars of all time. BUT at least from the trailer I'm not sold on his acting in a more serious thing like this. His "serious face" which I'm guessing he'll be donning throughout the movie just looks like he's about to fall asleep. And even in the action scenes his familiar physical comedy seems to be intact, like at 1:42 when the gun is shot out of his hands and he throws his arms up. That stuff works great in most of his movies, but doesn't really fit the tone here.

Still, the talent here is undeniable and hopefully it'll all turn out great in the end. I'll keep an open mind and wait for release and reviews.

Stranger Things S02 is upon us:

So is Valerian worth watching in theatres, best on DVD, or should I just save my time for something else?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I was wondering about that myself. Reviews are not great (51 avg.), still it does look like the kinda 3D spectacle you'd want to see on a huge-ass screen if you're gonna see it at all.

Besides that: Dunkirk, Baby Driver, and the latest Ape movie are getting good reviews. I'm gonna go see Baby Driver tonight.

$150 million is a lot to spend for a 51 average. (-_-)
    So much for the return of the Fifth Element.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I was wondering about that myself. Reviews are not great (51 avg.), still it does look like the kinda 3D spectacle you'd want to see on a huge-ass screen if you're gonna see it at all.

Besides that: Dunkirk, Baby Driver, and the latest Ape movie are getting good reviews. I'm gonna go see Baby Driver tonight.
    Yes, but over the last decade or so I've been slowly creeping towards the conclusion that the critics are idiots. A lot of that is because of learning how many beloved movies like Fight Club, Step Up, and BoonDock Saints were widely hated by the critics. I haven't reached a definitive opinion yet but I'm definitely open the possibility that these people have their heads too far up their own asses to know what a good movie is.

I trust word of mouth (at least from people who aren't raging morons) more than I do critics.

With this movie it seems interesting and it has a solid literary base to work with. I'm just concerned that they might have put more emphasis on spectacle than good execution.

I knew I could trust TTLG on movies when Avatar came out and it literally everyone I knew IRL couldn't stop raving about it to ridiculous levels, and I came to TTLG and general opinion was eh... it looked nice. Overall nothing special. And I thought, finally, I am among my people.

It's pretty silly to claim that "the critics" do anything as a unified group. There are great critics, okay ones and there are absolute idiots; there are valid takes on movies that you may completely disagree with, and there are idiotic takes that still come to the same conclusion as you. As with most things you have to find the critics that resonate with you, the ones you understand where they're coming from, which doesn't necessarily mean they always agree with you. Or, of course, you could just dismiss all of them with a glib comment about heads and asses.

Anyway... Early this year I bought a whiteboard that I put up on our fridge; the bottom's for stuff we need to buy, but the top half is reserved for films we're interested in. Dunkirk, Baby Driver and War of the Planet of the Apes of the Southern Wild of the Jedi are currently listed at the top, together with Spiderman: Homecoming (I know, I'm Marvel's bitch) and Lady Macbeth.

Gotta say, I think this looks pretty good - like a well made TV version of Zodiac:

Having just finished reading the highly enjoyable book (by first-time author Ernest Cline), I will go watch this if the reviews aren't terrible. Hope Spielberg does the sheer amount of fun and geekiness of the book justice.

Level 10,000 achieved
    This looks very good.

Tangerine was good too.

Probably War of the Planet of the Apes this Thursday. I enjoyed the first one and liked the second one a lot, so I'm quite curious to see how they'll bring this to an end, at least for now.

I'm also curious about Netflix's The Defenders; I had issues with all of the individual Marvel series (some more, some less), but I could imagine that as with The Avengers, combining those characters will improve even the least interesting, most annoying ones.

Chakat sex pillow
    New Bojack next month. NEW BOJACK OH MY GOD

<3

Level 10,000 achieved
    New Woo is looking like Classic Woo!

WOOOOOOO!