TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: What are you gonna watch?

Level 10,000 achieved

Ah, ok. Yeah, looks ok I guess. Plot setup reminds me of Batman or Iron Fist or one of these other superhero shows where the rich kid doesn't wanna run the business, just run around on crazy adventures. Seriously, HOW many times have we seen the scene where the prodigal rich kid comes home and the receptionist at their company is like "WHAAAAA?". I did chuckle at "I'll take two", which is a ridiculous fanservice, but in a tongue-in-cheek way. And, hey, Walton Goggins! Y'know what? I'm probably... GONNA WATCH IT!

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, they've taken the plot from Rise of the Tomb Raider and run with it. The whole dead father leaving Lara a message about a mysterious relic and Trinity hunting for it in parallel with Lara stuff is ripped right out of the game. It was pretty generic/lacked any real motivation, which I guess makes it a good fit for the popcorn adventure they're aiming for. I think the plane bit was from TRTR2013? It's neat that there's a large amount of fan service going on, and by fan service I don't mean Lara's outfit.

I've seen so many people comment on how Vikander doesn't at all look like Croft and how she's much too flat-chested... It's as if these people are willfully unaware that the franchise was rebooted in 2013. I'm okay with Vikander; she's been in some middling to bad movies, but she is usually good to very good.
    Last edited by Thirith; 24th Sep 2017 at 07:21.

Makes me wish Terry Gilliam'd do one of his Monty Python-style animated shorts spoofing that poster...

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I've seen so many people comment on how Vikander doesn't at all look like Croft and how she's much to flat-chested... It's as if these people are willfully unaware that the franchise was rebooted in 2013. I'm okay with Vikander; she's been in some middling to bad movies, but she is usually good to very good.
    Even in the new TR games she's not flat chested though. Just reduced.

Vikander was excellent in "Ex Machina". Not sure if she fits the "Lara" personality though.

The new Wes Anderson movie

If you like the Tomb Raid movies:

Completely unrelated....I promise....*belch*..I bet you all can guess what show I've finally been convinced to watch *belch*.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Every time I see a trailer or promo for the new Blade Runner, movie, I can't get excited about it at all. It just doesn't look that interesting.

Even with Harrison Ford.

How pathetic is that? Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

I know what you mean. I really want it to be good, but everything looks like a very standard MacGuffin style plot.

Moderator and Priest
    The new Blade Runner looks good enough to have piqued my interest. I'll wait for the first set of reviews to pop up before watching it, though. Just in case.

Still Subjective
    I want to see IT and Blade Runner.

And, because the usual suspects have announced it awful, Mother!. It's usually a sign of a good film. Same people pronounced Arrival rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    And, because the usual suspects have announced it awful, Mother!.
    Cinemarter (recently of The Escapist) gave it a 10/10, so I figure it's gotta be terrible.

Level 10,000 achieved
    And Entertainment Weekly gave it a 5 out of 10 so it must really be the complete opposite of that, which is a 5 out of 10! Or is it a 10 out of 5? Guys this is too complicated. Why don't we take recommendations from people we agree with instead of taking anti-recommendations from people we disagree with? I don't think those are terribly accurate. I mean remember when Trump BIG UPPED chocolate cake when he was supposed to be talking about missiles? I had some chocolate cake last night and it was delicious! Which either means that trying to figure out what you'll like based on what people you don't like do like doesn't work OR I'm turning into a Trump supporter. Which is ludicro... ludi... lu ... lll llLLLLLLLLLOCK HER UP! LOCK HER UP! LOCK HER UP! WHAT WERE WE TALKING ABOUT AGAIN

Did we already discuss the fact here that Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Animatrix) will direct an anime that's supposed to cover the time between the two Blade Runner movies?
    https://www.themarysue.com/shinichir...derunner-2049/

The Death Of Stalin looks delightful:

Way back when, two of my favorite films (even with all their flaws) were The Inner Circle, starring Tom Hulce, and The Pope Must Die, starring Robbie Coltrane. The Inner Circle is the fascinating true story of Stalin's projectionist and all darkness he experienced while serving Stalin; while The Pope Must Die is a humorous story about a corrupt, Mafia-run faction within Rome all pissed off that some peon became pope, who is now making waves, and their plot to get rid of him. From the trailer, this new film feels like both mashed together.

Moderator and Priest
    The Verge has a spoiler free Blade Runner 2049 review up

Short and sweet: a beautiful, well acted movie, that honestly tries its damnedest to match the original, but doesn't quite make it. A good movie that was always destined to be overshadowed by its classic predecessor.

As of this post RT has Blade Runner 2049 at 98% tomatometer and 8.8 average score. I'm sold.

In other news, I totally cracked up at the sight of Flatliner scoring a 0%. Not sure if that was the flat line they were looking for.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    Did we already discuss the fact here that Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Animatrix) will direct an anime that's supposed to cover the time between the two Blade Runner movies?
    https://www.themarysue.com/shinichir...derunner-2049/
    Crunchyroll just threw that Blade Runner Black out 2022 short at me when I went to watch something else. It's 15min but very well done, full of hommages to shots in the 1982 film.

I'll watch it just to see Ridley Scott's work there. He's always been a bit more visually inventive than the average director of big budget films. And hopefully he had more control over this one and doesn't have to make five director's cut reworks...

[edit]Sorry, apparently he's only the producer, but still involved obviously.

While we're at it...

And the others:
    Last edited by demagogue; 30th Sep 2017 at 05:53.

Still Subjective
    It's getting some great reviews.

I'm much more hopeful now. May need to IMAX this one.

This is probably going to be trash... but.. Malcolm McDowell, John Bradley....

Quote Originally Posted by Queue View Post
    The Death Of Stalin looks delightful:

Hahah that looks awesome, thanks for sharing! If you like that, check out Look Who's Back. While perhaps not über laugh out loud, it got some good chuckles out of me. It's on Netflix too.

Has anyone already seen Blade Runner 2049? The trailers didn't do too much for me, but it is getting extremely good reviews. Also, apparently Daniel Thron, who worked on the Thief games, worked on this one as well.

The trailers completely misrepresent the film in an effort to draw action movie audiences. There is more action here than in the original, but it's there to punctuate certain points in a film that otherwise even slower and more meditative than the original, it almost has a Tarkovsy feel. I loved it.