TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are you gonna watch?

Level 10,000 achieved

What are you gonna watch?

A thread for upcoming movies and TV shows that probably aren't quite interesting enough to warrant their own threads but which you nonetheless wanna point at and go "Look! Look at this thing, guys! Pretty neat, huh?".

To start things off here's a trailer for an upcoming Judd Apatow Netflix DRAMEDY series called Love.

Good to see Paul Rust in a starring role. And GILLIE! And CREEPY GELMAN!

When this thing comes out, I'M GONNA WATCH IT! (that's how everyone must end their posts in this thread) (ok, not really)

I watched the documentary Man on Wire and liked it, so I'm sure I'll like The Walk, which dramatizes the same story. Wire walker breaks into World Trade Center and wire-walks it. The man had a dream and made it happen.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Eh, I'm less excited about that one. I liked the documentary too, but judging from the trailer, the dramatized version seems a bit redundant. Not sure what I'd get out of it that the doc didn't already deliver.

On the todo list:

New:

Movies:
    * Barbershop: The New Cut
    * Star Trek 3 (of the new series of Trek films)
    * The Conjuring 2
    * Zoolander 2
    * The rest of the new Star Wars trilogy when their out.

TV:
    * Evil Dead
    * Gotham
    * The X-Files (the new series of it)
    * Twin Peaks (new series)
    * The Walking Dead, when the current season resumes.

Old TV/Movies (rewatches):

* Angel
    * Babylon 5
    * Buffy The Vampire Slayer
    * The Wonder Years - Once I'm done going through the office this is next on my list for a re-watch.
    * Torchwood + The Sarah Jane Adventures - As part of my complete Doctor Who show watch throughs.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Vinyl - HBO, about the music business in the 70s, produced by Martin Scorcese and Mick Jagger, starts February.
    The Americans - my wife and I got addicted to this recently, Season 4 starts in March, FX.
    Colony - Alien invasion/occupation series staring Lost's Josh Holloway, USA network, already started.
    X-Files fo sho.
    Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, both staples.
    Shannara Chronicles - sitting on my DVR now, want to see if it's any good.

College Basketball! My favorite team is STACKED thanks to the guys not going pro (only to be locked out).

Go Heels!

But first I'll have to suffer through a season of college football in which my team is being looked at for a whole mess of embarrassing crap.
    Last edited by acquisto; 11th Jun 2016 at 16:05.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the OP wasn't referring to sporting events.

Chakat sex pillow
    That's okay, we're an inclusive bunch. It's not like he said he was going to watch a cricket match, at least: that'd be akin to watching people eventually die of old age.

Anyway. I'm going to watch the back of my eyelids for the next 8 hours now.

Level 10,000 achieved
    That sounds like a highly exclusive viewing event, Sulphur! Any good?

Ok, this is the super hero/villain movie I'm most looking forward to right now:

Also, gonna go see The Hateful Eight on Saturday!

Hateful Eight is textbook Tarantino, which is probably enough for people to decide if they'll like it or hate it. The parts where Tarantino narrates some scenes gives me the impression he realizes he's an institution by now and plays it up. That's not a bad thing. Whatever, it's as fun and messy as you'd imagine it to be.

It's probably been mentioned in some interview, but I have to think its genesis was Sam L. Jackson making an agreement with QT in Django Unchained that he'd be the Uncle Tom if he could be the bounty hunter & hero in the next movie. (Similar to the deal QT and Umma made in Pulp Fiction to do Kill Bill.) It's just way too coincidental otherwise.

I almost forgot to mention what I'm most looking forward to this year. Halt and Catch Fire improbably got renewed for a 3rd Season. It's actual viewership is abysmal, but it has a super loyal group of fans and it's a critics' darling. So I read it got renewed because they're thinking about web distribution over the long haul, and it helps establish AMC's reputation for these kind of clever & high quality period dramas. I'm happy that at least one good thing is coming out of the new online 2.0 economy; obscure but critically acclaimed shows like this have a much better chance of getting renewed than could ever happen with the traditional broadcasting model.

The superhero movie I'm looking forward to is Deadpool. That thing looks better than anything else they (Marvel) have made by a long mile (and I quite liked their Galaxy Avengers or what was it called (I genuinely can't remember the actual title, oh well)). Unless they made those trailers better and gooder than the movie is.
    Other than that, the usual suspects - Game of Thrones, Sherlock (although my hype and care has managed to mostly die off what with them releasing a new season of 3 episodes only every other year) aaand... there's gotta be something else, surely. I did watch some slightly obscure british miniseries by the name of Inside No. 9. Their sense of humor is right up my alley. I hope it gets renewed for a new season.
    I'm also not gonna get my yearly dose of AMC's MADMEN this year seeing as it ended (in a spectacular way at that), so I'm gonna look into that Halt and Catch Fire thing. Sounds like my kinda deal.
    Speaking of cult classics with low viewz, I'm looking forward to Community's upcoming movie, after 6 rocky, almost cancelled seasons.

[possibly offtopic]And it's not a TV-series, but rather a youtube thing, but I'm looking forward to pretty much anything new from Ross Scott, the creator of Freeman's Mind and Ross's Game Dungeon. These days I'm less impressed by his Freeman's Mind (which is done, by the way), but rather some of his Game Dungeon episodes. There's some really interesting stuff out there and his input makes it into a more worthwhile experience than most TV shows, so that's why I'm mentioning this as well.[/possibly offtopic]

verbose douchebag
    I'll watch Game of Thrones for sure. Very interested to see where they'll go as I think they're likely to overtake the book at this stage. I wasn't overly enamoured with the last series, but not sure ho much of this is just reflexive dissonance because of the differences between the books and the series.

The last season was very half half. Some stuff happened here and there. But more so, a whole heap of blah blah.

The prior season - Full of big moments.

Interesting to see that anti-hero is coming back around. The Dirty Dozen, The Magnificent Seven, and the more recent Punisher all seem to be reprised with Suicide squad, Hateful Eight and Deadpool. All seem well worth a watch too.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Look at this!

The shoddy acting (no, not you Sharlto, you're wonderful) might suggest it's just a joke trailer, but apparently it's a real thing. And with a decent imdb score as well? You know what, I think... I'M GONNA WATCH IT!

I read about some Norwegian show called Occupied about contemporary Norway getting occupied by Russia because I guess that's what Russians do best(?).

More specifically, Norway elected their Green Party which shut off their oil production, then the EU made some deal with the Russians to occupy them to get the gas running again, which seems odd since I'd think the drop in production would raise oil prices and Russia would like that and be happy to see it continue, since it depends so much on its own oil revenue. But I take it this isn't the kind of show that lets facts and logic get in the way of a good story.

Anyway, it got good reviews. The premise sounds wild and it's about time pop culture caught up with Cold War 2.0. So that got on my list to watch next.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hah, what right-wing feverdream did that plot come from? Pretty sure the oil export is too important for Norway to ever shut down.

Harry Hole novels? are they a thing?

Silly question, but since we had a discussion about megathreads a while ago, how come we've got separate threads for what we're going to watch and what we have watched, rather than one thread about films, TV series and the like? Not saying we shouldn't, but it strikes me as odd, as I'd expect the two to be pretty similar in terms of topics and population.

And to end this post on a less meta note: we'll probably go and see The Hateful Eight tonight. Since I'm recovering from a cold and am feeling rather knackered, I hope that it won't be too long for me. Then again, I'm very much into Tarantino (except for Django, which I only liked as long as Christoph Waltz was in the movie).

Level 10,000 achieved
    No we definitely need this one. I need it. For posting cool trailers I find.

Hardcore Henry looks hardcore nauseating. I'd probably have to watch it in 15 minutes increments.

I kind of want to see Zoolander 2, seeing as I loved the first movie. It gets a lot of crap, but frankly, I think it's excellent exactly for embracing what it is - a random slapstic of retarded comedy. It never tries to be high-brow, it never tries to be super clever, it knows what it is and rolls with it.

Also I feel I would enjoy Deadpool even tho I never followed any of his stories or care for superhero movies. His whole modus operandi seems to be up my alley.

Just saw Deadpool at the local cinema in Hong Kong as it was the only movie with English-speaking in it at the time. Having known nothing about it beforehand might have affected my impression of it to some extent but I must say I found it to be bloody brilliant. Excellent script, good casting, great action and consistently funny throughput. My only criticism is that that the lead actor's voice is a little whiney and unconvincing at times.
    writing this on my mobile so not meant to be a proper review like

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Silly question, but since we had a discussion about megathreads a while ago, how come we've got separate threads for what we're going to watch and what we have watched, rather than one thread about films, TV series and the like? Not saying we shouldn't, but it strikes me as odd, as I'd expect the two to be pretty similar in terms of topics and population.
    Well their completely different subjects that's why. What you've watched and what your going to watch (one past and one future tense). Makes sense.

*waits for a "What are you watching right now?" thread to pop up*