TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Newdark Novice Contest Release (Feb 22, 2016)

Newdark Novice Contest Release (Feb 22, 2016)

Contest Goal:

This contest was started to give novice dromeders defined limits on mission size, so they could release their first mission within a set time frame. Three authors have successfully met this goal. For those unable to finish their contest mission within the time limit, I hope you will continue your work on it and release it to the committee.

Contests Missions:

The three missions submitted are

Forgotten Tomb by Kurhhan - Mission Thread
    Just My Luck by Grandmauden - Mission Thread
    Shoes & Dresses by JarlFrank - Mission Thread

The authors have done great work and I encourage you to vote and provide some feedback on these missions.

Judging:
    Eight criteria have been chosen for judgment. Voters should provide a 1-10 score for each criterion for each mission. To submit your vote, private message me on the forums (by March 21st) with the following information for all three missions:

Overall Enjoyment:
    Gameplay:
    Story:
    Design:
    Atmosphere:
    Technical Effects:
    Use of Space:
    Uniqueness:

Some aspects to consider for each criterion are listed below. Weights for each criterion will be applied to the average 1-10 score for each criterion for an overall mission score.

• Overall Enjoyment/Quality (Weight: 2/10) - The focus of this criteria is overall fun factor and the general quality of the mission as a whole. Voters should grade the mission based on a first play-thru.
    • Gameplay (Weight 2/10) - This category focuses on quality of the gameplay. Is it difficult in a fun way or is it frustrating? Is the gameplay too easy or simple? Does it provide good sneaking opportunities? Is it ghostable? Does the gameplay vary by difficulty? Is it linear or does it offer plenty of freedom of movement. Would the mission still be fun on another play-thru?
    • Story (Weight 1.5/10) - Is the story interesting, well executed, emotionally evocative? Are readables amusing or interesting or deep?
    • Design (Weight 1.5/10) - Is the mission well constructed? Is sound propagation implemented correctly? Does the author use more than basic shapes and flat terrain in construction? Are rooms reasonably decorated or featureless?
    • Atmosphere (Weight 1/10) - How well is the implied atmosphere of the mission implemented?
    • Technical Effects (Weight 1/10) - This category is focused on the implementation of a variety of technical/scripting effects. Good implementation of patrols and objectives (and other basic scripting without anything more involved) should warrant a fair score. More complex features and their execution are the focus of this category and CAN include visuals effects, conversations, special usage of animations, interactions, and complex puzzles (beyond grab x and place it at y location or key hunts).
    • Use of Space (Weight 0.5/10) - How well is the limited space used. Is it not overly cramped or filled with wasted space?
    • Uniqueness (Weight 0.5/10) - Is the mission unusual, is its design or gameplay original or uncommon?
    Last edited by Iceblade; 22nd Feb 2016 at 17:00.

Thank you Iceblade for this Contest and Kurhhan, Grandmauden and JarlFrank for your 1rst fm ! I cannot wait to play !

Yay! Thanks Iceblade. Congratulation Kurhhan, Grandmauden and JarlFrank - looking forward to taffing about in all of your missions

Thank you to everyone involved! Really look forward to playing these

Thank you

Thanks for the mission

Congrats to all the new authors Can't wait to play them all

Looking forward to playing these - well done everyone!

What's the time limit for voting?

Niiice, I hope I manage to actually play these as well. And yeah what's the time limit for voting - a month like usual?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Congrats to the three authors for getting out their first FM - no small task - and hopefully many more to come. Look forward to checking them out tonight.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Thanks Iceblade for organizing, and the three authors for submitting their work. Iceblade, why the voting by PM? Most contests the last few years have made use of a custom poll here which Al B usually sets up, makes it easier on everyone, especially you.

I tend to agree. I think that some people might be reluctant to submit voting by pm - scoring with a few simple clicks is a lot less effort and there is relative anonymity to voting by poll. The raw data can be provided so you can do the weighting. I'm not 100% sure but I believe that more votes are received in the polls.

It would be a couple of hours work for Al_B to set the poll up but it can be done so perhaps you'd like to consider that, Iceblade.

And yes, Brethren, I'm full of admiration for the new authors. It takes real guts to do that. I haven't played anything yet but I'm very much hoping that all three will carry on.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I think the standard poll probably won't work with Iceblade's criteria, which are fairly in-depth. The online poll really just rates missions from 1 to 5 stars.

On that note, I'll say this - the more complicated the voting process, the fewer votes you'll get. I think a lot of people will just say "screw it" when they realize they have to rate each mission in 8 different categories. Just my .02.

when can we start to vote, will there be more entries for this contest?

Voting started at the posting of this thread and will end by March 21st. There are no more entries for the contest, though I hoping several authors who were unable to finish in time will release their missions eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade View Post
    Voting started at the posting of this thread and will end by March 21st. There are no more entries for the contest, though I hoping several authors who were unable to finish in time will release their missions eventually.
    So i get to send you a PM with my voting? what happened to that site you get to vote and leave comments?

If by "that site" you mean the polls that are usually used for voting these days, it sounds like Iceblade isn't going that route. So yes, you just PM your votes and comments to him directly.

i will vote using spoilers my #1 fav one was forgotten tomb,second fav was shoes and dresses,third just my luck

i enjoyed all three missions,great job,and look forward to seeing results of voting

You have to rate each one in 8 categories, not just rank them 1/2/3; read the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    If by "that site" you mean the polls that are usually used for voting these days, it sounds like Iceblade isn't going that route. So yes, you just PM your votes and comments to him directly.
    I really like those Polls that Mike used for the previous contests, it simplifies the voting. alright, guess iŽll have to send a pm following the criteria of IceBlade

Yes, the polls are a little easier but it's pretty much just as easy to copy and paste the categories and copy and paste the mission names into a pm. Then all you need to do is add the score.

Iceblade and anyone else organising a mission is completely free to organise the voting as they please. But, for future organisers who may wish to have a poll, I would just clarify that our esteemed Administrator, Al_B, creates the polls more or less as requested. E.g., the Halloween contest in 2012 had 4 categories per mission with a 1-5 score which was what we asked for. It could have been 10 categories with 1-10 but the 'buttons' might possibly have been too small for me to see.