TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newdark Novice Contest - Just My Luck (Feb. 22, 2016)

Newdark Novice Contest - Just My Luck (Feb. 22, 2016)

Opening this thread for any discussion or questions that relate to the mission Just My Luck by Grandmauden. Please post here with any feedback or questions you have. You can download the mission here. The contest thread is here.

I guess I'm a little stuck in this one!

I have opened all the lockpickable and unlocked doors and explored the places, now there are three locked doors I don't know how to open: the door inside the curiosity shop, the upstairs door in the library, and the door to the house next to the rich guy's home and opposite the fishmonger's. I bet they need keys, but I dunno where to find them.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Quote Originally Posted by JarlFrank View Post
    the door to the house next to the rich guy's home and opposite the fishmonger's.
    This is important
    hint
    take look at the stairs

This is exactly where I am stuck too. There must be some kind of way over the rooftops, as this seems to be the only way into the last house you mentioned. But I'm still searching for a way without cheating

Edit : Thanks Unnar, that's what I missed.

And done. Fun little mission, and interesting way to solve the final part. Guess when it comes to breaking a curse affecting himself, Garrett doesn't mind killing

Finished. Missed a secret and about 50 Loot. Cool mission that i really enjoyed

Quote Originally Posted by JarlFrank View Post
    And done. Fun little mission, and interesting way to solve the final part. Guess when it comes to breaking a curse affecting himself, Garrett doesn't mind killing
    As for your solution : I can't find anybody to kill

Quote Originally Posted by JoergA View Post
    As for your solution : I can't find anybody to kill
    Go back to the house where you found the hand of glory. The guy is lying in his bed - you picked up his suicide note, but apparently he didn't kill himself. I slashed my sword at his body, and that ticked off the objective. I think the author could've dropped a hint that the guy isn't dead yet - I found it out because slashing my sword at the body was the only thing that seemed logical in the situation.

Thanks, JarlFrank, I already tried to slash at him, will go back and try again

Regarding the final solution:

The shopkeeper is, in fact, dead. However, the hand will only change owners if the current owner is struck down by another person. Because the shopkeeper committed suicide, the hand still thinks he's the owner. Only when Garrett attacks his corpse does the hand decide the shopkeeper was "slain by another," and so it declares Garrett its new owner, thus lifting its own curse.

I tried to account for this ambiguous situation when I was writing the tome in the library, but evidently I didn't make it as clear as I thought.

Ah, that explains it. I thought with the suicide of the shopkeeper, the hand would simply have become owner-less. Once the owner is dead, the next guy who takes the hand will be its new owner, this is the way I understood it: the important part is not that the owner is murdered, but that he is dead from whatever reason. So slashing the body with my sword was just a "let's see if this works" thing, and it did work, so I assumed he wasn't actually dead

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    This is important
    hint
    take look at the stairs
    I'm stuck in the same place that JarlFrank was stuck. Okay, I've I've searched over and over the only two staircases (one in the library & one in the fishmonger's) I found in this small village and can't see anything. No secret switches or levers. Could you please be a little more specific? Thanks.

Dia: Don't think of a full staircase, think of a few stair steps.

Another hint: Read the greengrocer clerk's diary. She mentions someone acting suspicious in front of one of the buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    I'm stuck in the same place that JarlFrank was stuck. Okay, I've I've searched over and over the only two staircases (one in the library & one in the fishmonger's) I found in this small village and can't see anything. No secret switches or levers. Could you please be a little more specific? Thanks.
    It's not as much of a staircase as it is a tiny little stair made up of two steps: just crouch down in front of the door in question and look at the side of its stairs, the key is hidden in a tiny niche there.

Mission finished, Thank you for this nice mission Grandmauden, for a first map its well built, beautiful atmosphere, and
    enjoyable gameplay.

Thank you guys for the hints regarding the hidden key and how to lift the curse

great little mission ,1664 loot out of1699 3/3 secrets found,,i did peek on board for a couple small hints,too me 35 min ,thank you for making it you did very well,look forward to a bigger mission by you

The first thing that stood out to me was the nice ghostly atmosphere; the second thing was the writing. The townsfolks' notes about each other are entertaining and the lucky hand's backstory I thought was really interesting and detailed. Rather than just having a generic cursed artifact, it gives a full explanation of why and how it came to be both blessed and cursed, and said backstory is vivid and memorable.
    The gameplay is mostly not too complicated, but there were two spots that gave me trouble, one was the key under the steps and the other was lifting the curse. I solved the latter by swinging at the guy on a whim, but I had to look up the former in this thread. All in all though, I really enjoyed the mission. The pace moves along nicely and the story is engaging and well told.

Congratulations on the release Grandmauden ! Good luck in the contest. Good story and objectives, great atmosphere, nicely matched sounds.

Thanks, everyone! Glad you're enjoying it!

(And apologies if I made those spots way too tricky)

What a cracking good mission Grandmauden.

Usually missions with over long books and scrolls are a bit turn off for me (1 page max please) but your mission had a cracking good story that had me riveted. The build quality is superb (as it was with all 3 contest missions) and with just the right level of puzzles / well hidden keys and clever ideas I could not find a single issue that I was unhappy with.

Thank You!

Updated to v1.1.

Download here.

Just a couple of minor fixes. The change log is detailed in the readme.

Finished this one last night. Great little mission, perfect pace and atmosphere. The ambients and sounds, really took me back to THC in Thief 1. Found 1674 of 1699 and 3/3 on Expert. Only real hangup was the key, had to check here on the forum for hint. As for the curse, I got lucky lol. I went back to the shopkeeper and my thought process was; he committed suicide, there's a turned over bottle on the table, he must have drank poison to do it but it hasn't fully killed him yet... so I slashed him. Fun mission, looking forward to more from you

Great mission really enjoyed the story!! Keep it up

Hey FenPhoenix,

I see you getting out of the low window from the upstairs (around 31:40). How the heck do you do this? I never seem to mantle. Are there controls/settings I'm totally missing? Thanks!
    Last edited by FKenFord; 26th Feb 2016 at 00:36.

Make sure new mantling is enabled. Open cam_ext.cfg and find the line:

; new_mantle

Remove the semicolon to enable it.

Also, just to be clear, you have to crouch while mantling a low ledge like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast