TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who You Going To Call? Not Them I Hope

ZylonBane
    Fail. That cut still makes it seem like this is a sequel.

That recut seems to rely on nostalgia for the original film rather than the merits of the current one. Having watched that I'm more inclined to rewatch the first film than go and see the new one.

It also leaves in the bit where one of them licks her gun, which just struck me as really, really dumb.

Leslie Jones..I sense an Oscar nomination....

Spot on, Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by driver View Post
    ... rather than the merits of the current one.
    Wait, what? The current one has merits? Did not see any in the original trailer.

Obviously, the recut is just an attempt to make something out of the extremely limited material one can get his hands on (ie. the original trailer itself). Relying heavily on nostalgia seems like the way to go there (since a large part of the original trailer is hardly usable and you need to borrow some running time from elsewhere) - or do you have a better idea?

The recut is almost certainly misleading in regards of the actual film, but i fail to care. Looking forward to more recuts/edits as the original trailer has become the current laughing stock around internet. So, might spawn some more recuts like the starwars one did.

I don't know, I'll wait for the reviews. The jokes in the trailer aren't that great, but I usually like the Paul Feig brand of comedy. It's just my kind of thing. I've always liked the Apatow/Rogen/Feig/etc. school of comedy more than the Adam Sandler school or the Adam McKay/Will Ferrell school. Apatow/crew (and also Edgar Wright/crew) is the kind of stuff I find funny.

Then again, I also liked Will Gluck's comedies Easy A and Friends with Benefits, and then his Annie remake turned out to suck. And the jokes in this Ghostbusters trailer are recognizably Feig's style of humor, but they're kind of a weak version of it. His type of humor is most suited for R-rated comedies anyway, and this won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by zombe View Post
    Wait, what? The current one has merits? Did not see any in the original trailer.
    Well the point of trailers is to make you go and watch the film, that recut just made me want to go back and watch the original, so in that regard it's a failure. Perhaps a better trailer would just be 90 seconds of the Ghostbusters logo with the release date underneath because, as you pointed out, all the available footage of the new one looks awful.

ZylonBane
    All this nonsense got me to finally grab the Ghostbusters game that came out a few years ago. It's not bad! Pretty sure its plot is better than whatever these guys came up with.

verbose douchebag
    The bigger question - does bustin' make you feel good?

My kinda Ghost Busters game.

Or for something alittle more recent:

Last edited by icemann; 16th Mar 2016 at 02:45.

Previously Important
    There had better be a weak-ass Bill Murray cameo that leaves us punching at the air and yelling BILL MURRAY!!

My feeling is that even a cameo from Harold Ramis's disinterred corpse would probably raise more laughs than the new cast members.

Poor Stay Puft.

Some reviews on release of the movie are out and it looks like the movies as terrible as expected. Can't say I'm surprised at all.

Sad part is that anyone who comes out and says that it's terrible is labelled as sexist. Sad side to how politically correct the worlds become.

Like it - Your a fan
    Hate it/dislike it - Your sexist.

Grrr.

verbose douchebag
    It would be sexist to dislike it just because there are women playing the lead roles, not if it's a pile of shit.

Still Subjective
    I thought it was pretty bad.

I like Wiig and McCarthy but meh.

It wasn't the script, which was so-so, or the effects, which are ott. It was the entire structure and plot was just boring. Wiig and McCarthy are a bit boring because they just play themselves. The other two Ghostbusters were more refreshing just because they were new to me and Hemsworth was nowhere near as good as people are saying.

I just didn't get what they were trying to do.

And the end credit scene that sets up the sequel was dumb as f. The plot was ALREADY a tweak on the original so any sequel going down that road will be ANOTHER derivative of a derivative.

The major insult for me was killing Bill Murry, and trying to make it funny. That is an absolute insult to the franchise.

I'd have boo`d and walked out on the spot if I'd been in the cinema and seen that. And no I've not seen the movie myself (as I have absolutely no desire to see it). Just going off the review videos.

Administrator
    I'm actually going to see this later, but I might like some of it if I keep my expectations low in light of these comments. I take my cue from Frank Zappa. I might be slightly less cynical.

I am interested to see if a new generation that has never seen GB before will like this reboot. It is semi-shocking to me that many people I know under 25 have never seen even one Bill Murry movie. One girl I know has never seen the Back to the Future series. Then again, I’ve never seen Marty, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, or Giant.

Not exactly related, but Bedazzled was remade and I though it was very good. I had no idea it had been done in the 60s. A Brit friend of mine told me about the Dudley Moore version, so I gave it a spin. Good version, but I prefer to look at Liz Hurley in her prime.

Rotten Tomatoes ranks it as a 75% + , with 50% of audiences liking it. From Rotten Tomatoes: "Critics Consensus: Ghostbusters does an impressive job of standing on its own as a freewheeling, marvelously cast supernatural comedy -- even if it can't help but pale somewhat in comparison with the classic original."

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    It would be sexist to dislike it just because there are women playing the lead roles, not if it's a pile of shit.
    Nonsense. According to Mr. Feig it's not possible to dislike because it's a really witty and incisive movie....and if you don't laugh at the jokes it's just because you're subconsciously sexist against female leads because after all, you would find the same jokes HILARIOUS if a male said them.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Some reviews on release of the movie are out and it looks like the movies as terrible as expected.
    Actually, it has a metacritic rating of 60, which isn't bad for a comedy (critics rarely give them the kinda high scores more serious movies get). Also, my go-to review sites birthmoviesdeath.com and the AV Club both like it. It opens next Friday here, and I'm almost swayed to go see it. Almost. We'll see. Star Trek Beyond also opens the same evening and that one looks pretty fun.

is Best Pony
    Yeah, BMD is my go-to along with Ebert's site, henke, and while the latter was not wild about the film BMD seemed pretty positive about it. I'll be seeing this in the next fortnight.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    Nonsense. According to Mr. Feig it's not possible to dislike because it's a really witty and incisive movie....and if you don't laugh at the jokes it's just because you're subconsciously sexist against female leads because after all, you would find the same jokes HILARIOUS if a male said them.
    Why on earth do I care about your take or Mr Feig, whoever that is? I'm saying what I think about people disliking the film versus sexism. Quit grinding that axe, it's almost a nub.

Administrator
    I've seen it now and I think it was just about OK. However my expectations had been set to zero...

I think the cast pulled it through however. I found myself liking Kate McKinnon's Holtzmann and Leslie Jones' Patty more than the McCarthy/Wiig leads. Not sure about Hemsworth as an handsome idiot receptionist but he did manage to carry off the lines quite well. There were the cameos by the surviving original cast, although this mainly reminded me that Harold Ramis died a few years ago. Also not convinced by Bill Murray's appearance ending in character death.

The bad guy character seemed to come out of nowhere for no particular reason with a non-specific backstory. I just had to latch on to the fact that he was trying to do a Bad Thing for the GBs to stop.

There were a few actually funny moments in there, just none of them stand out particularly.

Because I know the 1984 film so well, I was very aware of it following the same pattern. For example the opening sequence ghost scare into titles, and a repeat of the giant ghost rampage after another "choose the form" moment, massive ghost cloud emptying into New York. Wherever the movie did this I just thought it wasn't as good, and the improved special effects made no difference. This isn't going to affect people who haven't seen the 1984 film though.

I can't say I'm disappointed exactly, but it was in line with what I was expecting. My advice would be to not bother watching it if you expect it to be anywhere close to the original. The only way to get anything out of it is to try and forget it's a reboot. Otherwise, go and watch the Blu-Ray of the original again.

verbose douchebag
    I haven't watched the original in ages, so that's a fine idea.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Why on earth do I care about your take or Mr Feig, whoever that is? I'm saying what I think about people disliking the film versus sexism. Quit grinding that axe, it's almost a nub.
    I'm mocking Mr. Feig, who in this instance deserves all the monkey shit being flung his way.

It is obvious that it is entirely possible to dislike something a female performer does without hating female performers, and Mr. Feig claming otherwise is the last ditch argument of those with no argument to make.