TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who You Going To Call? Not Them I Hope

Who You Going To Call? Not Them I Hope

So the new Ghost Busters trailer is out. I for one completely hate it, and think it's basically Ghostbusters turned into Bridesmaids 2, and not really that funny. Lacks much of the charm of the originals.

Thoughts from you guys?

ZylonBane
    It looks like Friedberg and Seltzer's Ghost Movie.

Oh so the black chick is the dumb one in the reboot too. Way to go Hollywood! Keep the brown man down!

WTF did i just watch...

... ee ... can't think of anything to say about it :/. Just a big pile of not-funny nope. What the hell is the target demographic supposed to be for that ... thing?

It probably sounded better in the concept phase when they raised all the money, remake Ghostbusters, only gender-swap each character.

Really does look like it's bet the farm on the novelty value of the gender swap. Aside from the cast being female, it looks like a lazy rehash of the original.

Quote Originally Posted by zombe View Post
    What the hell is the target demographic supposed to be for that ... thing?
    My guess is those who love Melissa McCarthy flicks like Bridesmaids, Spy, Identity Thief etc. Definitely not movies I'd rate even close to good.

Zombified
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Thoughts from you guys?
    I think that trailer just gave me cancer.

verbose douchebag
    Hmmm. I was receptive to the notion of the all female cast, but that trailer makes it look a bit schlocky.

If you blot out all memory of the originals, which is not possible since they incorporate that storyline into this one, and you look at this movie as a stand alone… Well, it's a B in my book. I'll be seeing it in about 3 months after it is released, when it comes to my mailbox as a Netflix DVD. I bet it will be a minor hit and at least pay for its production costs. It's not good, but it is not terrible, in my opinion. Geared to Jr. High School kids and maybe even tweens. Get baked and watch it. I was for the first one. It did help.

Someone already suggested that instead of a reboot, Ghostbusters should have been Bill Murray in a retirement home, dealing with the ghosts there.
    This image popped up in my mind

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Really does look like it's bet the farm on the novelty value of the gender swap. Aside from the cast being female, it looks like a lazy rehash of the original.
    How terrible of you. Of course YOU would have a problem with females being put in the lead role. I think you just hate women and can't stand to see them portrayed as a strong, capable, lead.

/tumblr

If you think that's bad keep this in mind: trailer producers are basically PR alchemists. Their job is to take a turd and polish it until it looks like Gold....and if that upchuck-worthy trailer was the best they can do then think about what the rest of it is like.

Tony, I hate how almost all trailers use up all the best jokes. You see the trailer, you've seen the movie. Are Americans that stupid that they need to be lead like this? I guess they are. As for the female cast, they seem good enough. I like the actresses. I just wish they did not do a reboot. Come up with something new, even if you have to rip off some old Greek play… Come on now, fool me. Make me think this is not the same old story rehashed. Nope, formula sells… at least it used to. Wonder if it will sink in if this movie is a bomb? Bet it won't be though. Not a huge hit, but just good enough to keep producers making more of this tripe. Best part? I am not forced to go see it.

Bjack, not just the jokes, all the plot twists too. So dem dum ppl don't want refund when story is not as advertised hurr durr

Or some other bs logic. But anyway - yes, trailer looks terrible.

Not wrong. As we've now seen the best laughs and the plot to the movie. What's the point of going to see it?

ZylonBane
    To see the worst it has to offer? Because if that was the best... wow.

I new it was going to suck when it had "Ghostbusters" in the title. I mean, how far can you milk something that was good for the first half of the first movie?

If any movies were made for those with IQs over 120, most would fail. I think most movies are geared toward 90. Not too offensive to the average 105 people and not too difficult for the 80s out there. It's all OK. The masses need entertainment and I am not one to take that away. Complain about that a type of entertainment though? In a world with people that eat up this stuff, is sort of silly. Hate this movie if you want. So what if it is made. Does it kill you first born child? Will you grow a third nut because if it? That might be kind of cool, come to think of it…

Good call Jason. Good post. You already knew that, but I wanted to say so anyway.

Level 10,000 achieved
    None of the jokes are too great, but the deliveries of said not-great jokes are great. I also like the reworked themetune and the visuals. This might turn out good. Gonna give it the benefit of doubt till I see some reviews.

Loved the Angry Joe reaction:

Zombified
    yeah you know shit's real when it makes Angry Joe (almost) cry.

lol not wrong.

Cut out the silly blabbering and wrap it in familiarly moody sound cues and it looks fairly passable - a trailer recut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4sNlt10AMA

I would have seen that one convincing me to give the movie a shot.