TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW ** Patch Thief 2 V1.24 - System Shock 2 V2.45 ** 2016-03-23

NEW ** Patch Thief 2 V1.24 - System Shock 2 V2.45 ** 2016-03-23

New message from "Le Corbeau" (on French forum Ariane4ever), & new update :

"De nouveau sous le soleil, des ombres échappées et un fromage qui s'affine. L'oiseau reste secret, continue ŕ guetter, car il n'est pas le seul"
    "New under the sun, shadows and glimpses of a cheese that matures. The bird remains secret, keep watch, because it is not the only"

Southquarter's Mirror :
    Thief 2 v1.24 : Thief 2 v1.24
    System Shock 2 v2.45 : System Shock 2 v2.45

flying_hope's Mirror :
    Thief 2 v1.24 : Thief 2 v1.24
    System Shock 2 v2.45 : System Shock 2 v2.45

1.24 Notes
    ----------
    This is a hotfix for v1.23 that fixes a couple of things.

In particular the broken "sun_runtime_obj_shadows" has been fixed. In DromEd the crashes related to DXT
    textures have also been fixed (if "dxt_to_rgb32" was enabled as a workaround for those crashes then it
    can be removed again).

Changes and fixes for v1.24
    ---------------------------

General:
    - fixed broken "sun_runtime_obj_shadows" (worked in DromEd but not the game exe)
    - fixed path priority order bug with subtitle files (was accidentally reversed)
    - reduced risk of the door drifting bug that can happen in some occasional FMs (door-based objects that should
    rotate but instead of rotating just float away into infinity)
    - added "no_unload_fmsel" option to cam_mod.ini (can be useful if experiencing crash with FMSel, especially on Win10)

DromEd:
    - fixed DXT related crash (when running editor in HW mode)
    - fixed crash accidentally re-introduced in the previous version when loading (old) missions with bad door objects
    (objects internally flagged as doors despite not being doors)
    - fixed ambient sounds disappearing after playing in-game movie
    - fixed link data for certain link types (AIWatchObj) getting reset when reordering them (in link list dialog)
    - fixed original glitch in vhot evaluation that could under some circumstances affect "show_vhots", coronas and
    particle attachment links using vhots
    - fixed DML syntax error bug when working with links that have no data set
    - fixed missing field indexing in DML export (for properties that contain multiple fields with the same name)
    - fixed a bug that could occur under certain circumstances with StimSource and Receptron commands in DMLs
    - fixed a few crashes that could happen in rare situations
    - fixed buggy transform for vhot and subobj detail attachment links when parent object is scaled
    - added mono warning for ObjTxtReplace properties with textures that couldn't be found/loaded
    - added "spew_stimulations" command to toggle mono output for stim events
    Last edited by Athalle; 25th Mar 2016 at 08:04.

This is great. I had trouble with FMSel a while ago and now it's fixed

I had trouble downloading the file though. I use Firefox with adblock+. I disabled it for that page but only by restarting in safe mode (i.e. no addons) could I get the file.

Mirror added

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Athalle, the Southquarter mirrors should probably be added here as well. And merci, Le Corbeau!

Oculus Rift support for 1.25

Zombified
    ooh, more DML stuff. nice.

new TFix soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxa View Post
    Oculus Rift support for 1.25
    You can already play the game with the oculus rift if you have VorpX! I tried it with the DK2 and although it is pretty neat it's not much better than playing it on a monitor because you can't see your inventory and healthbar very well.

But back on topic: This is great news. Surely not a big update, but bugfixes are always welcome.

Nice to see the bird still flying high...

What? The mysterious saviour is back to make our Thief lives happier again after such a long absence? I can't believe it's true! Wow thanks so much!

Just awesome. Makes me so happy to see Thief is still getting love in 2016.

This is a fairly small update, though I'm pleased to see Corbeau is still at it with newdark.

I should test out this new version with T2X though. I am able to invoke what I believe to be the "door drifting bug" by quicksaving and reloading quickly on the first mission, in 1.23. Not really a gamebreaking bug in this particular instance, but interesting nonetheless.

Merci beaucoup Le Corbeau!
    This is great, it would be even better if the source was released on a modern development platform such as Visual Studio. Imagine the forks and stuff that could be accomplished.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    That would cause utter chaos from a player standpoint, however. Imagine FMs or mod packs being released that require one certain fork and which don't work with others. It would be a nightmare.

I'm thinking that as long as the legal circumstances around the dark engine source code are still hazy, that the chances of the newdark source being released for public development are slim. It would perhaps be best that Corbeau just keeps working at the current pace they have been, cleaning up newdark and maybe optioning some new features to add in the future, even the pie in the sky ones like those real-time shadow tests floating around on youtube, for example. Or maybe having T2MP support, which has been in limbo since Tos released the source code to that project.

I personally would like to see more data compression technologies in NewDark, something like Crunch and Opus. Both technologies are free and open source.

The first one, Crunch, provides an extremely high texture compression - you can squeeze your 32-bit TGAs/BMPs into 1-bit CRNs without noticeable visual loss. This can reduce FMs' size and loading time drastically.

The second one, Opus, provides an excellent audio compression, superior in all terms to all other standards (MP3, Vorbis, AAC, etc): file size, fidelity. This can reduce FMs' size and loading time drastically, too.

The first FMs released back in 1999 were MB-sized and even smaller. Guys, we all know that soon there will be a GB-sized FMs. Mind you, not all taffers have an unlimited cheap Internet connection, not all taffers have a PCs with powerful CPU & GPU, and capacious HDD & SSD inside. So, what do you think?

Yeah, those are excellent ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by MoroseTroll View Post
    The first FMs released back in 1999 were MB-sized and even smaller. Guys, we all know that soon there will be a GB-sized FMs. Mind you, not all taffers have an unlimited cheap Internet connection, not all taffers have a PCs with powerful CPU & GPU, and capacious HDD & SSD inside. So, what do you think?
    Is somebody really making a 1 gigabyte or bigger T2 FM? I know King's Story is 300 MB, but that's just gigantic without a lot of video.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxa View Post
    Is somebody really making a 1 gigabyte or bigger T2 FM?
    Yes. They will probably be released this year.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    DCE will probably be in the 600-700MB range, without any movies. So I could see a similarly-sized campaign hitting 1GB with numerous briefings and cutscenes.

Question...All updates have included the recommendation of making backups of .cfg and .ini files. Shouldn't I just not put the new 1.24 .cfg and .ini files in my T2 directory in the first place if my old install works like I want? Same for .cfg files in my DromEd install? Just grab the doc folder and the .exe and .dll files...

Also what is the EnableLAA.exe for?

Zombified
    I generally update the exes and dlls and then do a diff on the cfgs and inis, and copy over whatever custom stuff I had.

Dóttirin klćđist oft móđur möttli
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post

Also what is the EnableLAA.exe for?
    This is Large Address Aware. DromEd can handle more than 2GB Ram if it's applied. Just pull DromEd/Thief2.exe with your mouse over EnableLAA.exe.
    troubleshooting.txt:
    If you have 3GB or more system memory you can try to patch the
    EXE file to enable Large Address Aware, to allow the process to
    use more than 2GB memory. A patch utility "EnableLAA.exe" is
    included, just drag and drop the game (or editor) EXE on the
    "EnableLAA.exe" file (LAA can be disable in the same fashion).
    No guarantees are made that everything will work correctly with
    Large Address Aware enabled, but running out of memory isn't exactly
    healthy either so there's no harm in trying it.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Sly, I used to not copy over the CFG files but then I missed when a new config variable got added, so now I do what voodoo said and at least compare mine to the new one looking for those new vars.

Small update on my part here. I tested out the first mission in T2X where I believe the "door drifting bug" can be easily forced through quicksaving and loading. It's still possible to do this in 1.24, so I guess this is what Corbeau meant when they said that they had implemented fixes to "reduce the risk" of this happening, rather than making it technically impossible. Otherwise, I don't have any personal experiences with this issue happening aside from intentional gamebreaking.

Quick question: since the source codes are available, is it possible to port them to OS X and Linux or not because of DirectX?