TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415

Thread: Dark Souls III: Scholar of the First Spoiler Filled Dark Souls III Thread

Hmm, maybe my break from the Souls games wasn't long enough, because while new graphics is amazing, I see recycled content like everywhere. Everything I've seen so far is a labirynth of corridors with pieces from DS2 and DS1 mashed together. Lothric Wall is basically Undead Burg, Undead Settlement is Cove Tseldora with some Resident Evil 4 vibes, etc. etc. With first two games, I was always excited to see what new environment comes next. In DS3, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Hmm, maybe my break from the Souls games wasn't long enough, because while new graphics is amazing, I see recycled content like everywhere. Everything I've seen so far is a labirynth of corridors with pieces from DS2 and DS1 mashed together. Lothric Wall is basically Undead Burg, Undead Settlement is Cove Tseldora with some Resident Evil 4 vibes, etc. etc. With first two games, I was always excited to see what new environment comes next. In DS3, not so much.
    May be it was supposed to be like that, hmm? Just wait until you get to the Ringed City DLC or Anor Londo. But even without it, the intro tells a story of converged lands...

Anyway, I must say I had similar feeling up until about 1/3 of the game. And then I found a lot of new memorable locations (and also the game appeared MUCH bigger than I had previously thought), so in the end it didn't feel like the installment was based on recycled design at all.
    Last edited by 242; 11th Sep 2017 at 18:59.

Moderator and Priest
    Well, there are a lot of cathedrals in this one. Just about everywhere you go, you're in someone's church.

I know, the name itself gives it away, Lordran + Drangleic = Lothric, super inventive That said, I'm making slow but steady progress. I don't like the undead settlement, but I feel like the game rewards caution more than the other two. I rarely lose my progress unless I'm careless or stupid, and I usually spend my souls to level up before any boss, so I can die as many times I need to learn its moves and phases. Next up is Road of Sacrifices.

The undead settlement was one of my favourite areas in DS3 -- lots of hidden areas, some interesting enemies and quite beautiful once you get passed the first gate.

I'm kind of confused by the hollowing mechanic, I mean in the beginning you can't go hollow, you just loose your ember glow, but at some point you can look like z zombie and you get "hollowing points"?

Moderator and Priest
    That's more story related than anything. To keep this as vague as possible for the sake of spoilers, if you're going for the secret third ending, you have to talk to a certain NPC in the Firelink Shrine, and accept his offer to take the Darksign onto yourself before you reach a certain point in the game. That's when hollowing points start coming into play.

Though the whole process is entirely superficial. Other than effecting how you look, the gameplay mechanics remain exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Other than effecting how you look, the gameplay mechanics remain exactly the same.
    Hollowing also provides a bonus to luck if a player wields an upgraded hollow weapon, and also provides a quest and some dialogues.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I already rescued a certain monk, and he persuaded me to "make use of my full power", so I kind of have no choice now.