TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls III: Scholar of the First Spoiler Filled Dark Souls III Thread

Level 10,000 achieved
    My left indexfinger was hurting from holding down the block button as hard as I was during the Abyss Walker fight. It took me 4 tries but eventually I got it. I killed him! Then, to my dismay, did I realize that I hadn't actually killed him, and the real fight was only about to begin.

Moderator and Priest
    The Real Dark Souls 3 always begins halfway through a boss' health meter. Or when you drain them entirely, in some cases. The bastards.

The level design and enemies in this one are amazing. Other than that I'm kind of disappointed . My main gripe is with the linearity of the game world. It's really more like 'Souls of Duty' than Dark Souls 1 or Bloodborne. The world feels small, even though the levels are huge. There's not enough new weapons and armor, and armor from DS1 and 2 looks kind of out of place here, as if they were amaturely modded into the game. NPC's are more interesting than 2 and have their own quests, but they're scarce and don't really talk too much. I don't really dig the lore in this one either. I was also super disappointed by Anor Londo. It's just a small section of the original level and it's filled with annoying mobs. Seriously, they could've let us see something new there, but the gates on the right of the entrance are still as closed as they were in DS1. Kind of feels like wasted potential.

Oh come on. Souls of Duty? *facepalm*

I sure wouldn't go that far, but it is far more limited as far as I can tell. The only real skip ahead I've seen is the kill the old lady, rush the dancer and the castle.. DS1 and 2 had a fair amount of leeway to skip ahead, which DS3 doesn't show much of - but it is possible it exists, and I just don't know about it.

I don't know. Mechanically, it's the best of the souls series in many ways. No BS soul memory, but matchmaking takes equipment into account so no DS1 gank fests either. Accurate hitboxes - which DS2 wasn't so great about. Better balance - refined actually makes it worth the investment if you're high level, with elementals still good at first, bad later on. The estus/ashen flash divide means casters lose out on survivabity if they want to keep casting, preventing it from the huge caster advantage DS1&2 had - and scaling pyromancy means no DS1 pyrogods.

But for some reason I'm just not as emotionally involved in the game. Not plot emotionally involved, but not "OHMYFUCKINGGOD ONE MORE HIT AND I WAS DONE FUCK YOU GAME" like I was with DS1&2. And not being driven to homicidal rages is kind of a plus, but it also dampens the feeling of triumph when I push on. Not 100% sure if that's the game, or my mindset, or the antidepressants the doc put me on, or what.

Ah, well, still a boss or two left to go - and then there is the DLC, where they tend to put the really stupid hard stuff.

On an aside, I'm aggravated to learn this far into the game that using a shield doesn't always mean you can't use weapon skills, since some shields have weapon skill instead of parry. I had thought weapon skills were only for two-handing, and would've upgraded the stone shield instead of the knight shield had I known that.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatose View Post
    But for some reason I'm just not as emotionally involved in the game. Not plot emotionally involved, but not "OHMYFUCKINGGOD ONE MORE HIT AND I WAS DONE FUCK YOU GAME" like I was with DS1&2. And not being driven to homicidal rages is kind of a plus, but it also dampens the feeling of triumph when I push on. Not 100% sure if that's the game, or my mindset, or the antidepressants the doc put me on, or what.
    I take it you've made it to Pontiff Sulyvahn, right?

One thing I'll say about DS3's boss fights is that they might not be the most difficult of the series (barring an exception or two), but they are among the most theatric. Like I found the Deacons of the Deep battle to be incredibly fun and interesting, even if it wasn't all that tough of a battle. It was an interesting subversion of the usual DS formula.

No, last boss I hit was the dancer.

Moderator and Priest
    Wow. I didn't fight her until way, way after I beat the Pontiff.

Oh come on. Souls of Duty? *facepalm*
    Now, I was just kidding, but like Phatose said, it's more limited than the other games in the series. It's like DS2, but with only one path instead of five. Or maybe it's like Artorias DLC, only huge. Still, the levels themselves are some of the best and largest in the series. From what I've read, you can actually skip most of the game, though.

Here's some cut content and NPC faces:

http://imgur.com/a/olgvn#prALAxS

So, here's a Papa Emeritus cosplay, because reasons :P
    http://imgur.com/mg9k2ib

I'm slightly disappointed with this one. I have a million small things that I don't like, listing them would be pointless, but the short version is that in my eyes, as far as gameplay is concerned it's just not as good as Dark Souls 2. It's obvious they took DS1 and hacked in a few improvements for good measure but it still feels like several steps backwards. The character animations are awful and the movement has no fluidity to it at all. Also, it's just too fast for my tastes. I don't understand what this game gained by getting sped up, but whatever. I'm also tired of the references to earlier games (and I don't mean returning equipment) and all the seemingly blatant fanservice. Seems too much this time.

Now don't get me wrong, it's fun and I'm having a blast playing it, but still. I'm fine with the areas, enemies and the bosses though, (I'm only at Wolnir so far, but saw bits of most of the game in streams). The linear progression doesn't bother me, the world design is good IMO, and as far as dungeon crawling goes, the game is great. I wish there were some more exotic locations though, and not just the usual tropes (poisonous swamp, castle, catacombs, etc). Hopefully they'll go wild in the DLCs.

Btw, it's by far the glitchiest one in the series, at least as far as MP concerned. I coop a lot in these games, and jesus, there are players stuck in a fixed pose bug (this happens a lot), phantoms unable to enter foggates, some bosses straight up glitching out in coop and becoming invincible, connection errors... way too many of my multiplayer attemps fail because of some bug.

I HIGHLY disagree on the gameplay and animations, the game feels much more refined in this regard than DS2. Better, tighter balance, better hitboxes, better pretty much everything. The weapon art system is a good trade for the power stance, since it works for more stuff.

I was not sure about the faster pace at first, but I've quickly grown to like it - it's probably because by now I'm so accustomed to DS1 and the even slower DS2 that playing them is almost a leisurely thing, while here, the speed keeps me on edge, and it feels like I'm playing DS1 for the first time all over again.

The only thing I'm really missing from DS2 is the bonfire ascetic system and the ng+ additions.

Moderator and Priest
    What Van said. The only thing I didn't like about DS3 would be its fairly linear progression through the world. It's not perfectly A to B, but it is more straightfoward than the previous games.

But the gameplay? It's better across the board. I can't think of a single thing concerning how it plays that feels like a regression. As much as DS2 improved upon the original, DS3 improves upon it by being faster, more precise, and more fluid.

I wonder if Malleus' frustrations with multiplayer are coloring his opinion of the core mechanics. Because it sure seems to me that the core mechanics are distinctly more fluid, precise and polished than ever.

I don't know about the speed; I don't mind it, and it makes sense given the different types of fights (more enemies in close proximity to you) you get here compared to previous DS games, but I also miss the more slow, heavy, deliberate feel of previous Souls games. It's not that I think one or the other is better or worse; it's just a little different.

I'd love to see a remaster of the original Dark Souls with the more fluid, precise and polished core mechanics and updated overall technology. Maybe a year or more from now nostalgia for this game will allow for a more fair comparison to the first DS, but I still much prefer the world and atmosphere of the first game.

Being able to teleport between bonfires right from the beginning sure changes things, and I was hoping DS3 would go back to how DS1 worked. Delving down passed the Depths and through to the bottom of Blighttown just wouldn't have been the same if I could have teleported right outta there as soon as I found a bonfire.

Tbh I don't see why weapon arts and power stance had to be a trade. PS wound't conflict with any new mechanics, holding down the two hand button doesn't do anything new. Dual wielding is out even more though, since now if you put a weapon in your left hand you block with it, which is just baffling. One of those 'million' small things about this game.

I may, and probably will get used to the fast pace, but I prefer it slow, and not just here. I practically never play multiplayer FPSs, but the best one I played was Red Orchestra 2 in Classic mode, which is the slowest paced mode in an already slow paced tactical shooter. It's just my preference and one of the reasons I got hooked on DS originally.

You did notice you have dedicated dual wield weapons instead, right?

Yeah, and? Those could have unique movesets and abilites, while PS could give one of the standard PS moves but you could mix the weapons you want.

verbose douchebag
    Is there some reason why I can't use the white soapstone to lay a sign down before the entrance to fight Iudex Gundyr?
    I want some of them souls.

Probably has something to do to do with the arena being used for another boss fight.

My favourite moments this far have been the Pontiff and Dancer fights, getting into Irithyll, and finding the Darkmoon Blades Covenant. I'm at the Lothric Archives now. I played first on the PC which was a lot smoother, up to SL ~50, but then my PC died and so I went and bought it for the PS4. On the upside, there haven't been any hackers on this platform.

I've a couple of questions if you guys know the answer:
    1) How can you shut down the ballista in the Demon Ruins? I got once summoned into a world where it wasn't shooting.
    2) Where do you get the wood carvings from?
    Last edited by MorbusG; 21st Apr 2016 at 08:02.

1. At the demon ruins bonfire, go down the stairs, turn right, go to the end of the corridor, then right again. Explore that area, fight some rats, some basilisks and an asshole npc and you should eventually find yourself at a bridge guarded by a black knight. Past him is a set of ladders that will take you up, and a way to the ballista.
    2. You'll need to trade with the crow for them. Can't remember the items, though.

^Thanks! I don't know how I've missed that, because I remember fighting those basilisks. Trying to search that smolten lake area was a bit rage-inducing with that ballista constantly shooting at me. The crabs didn't help, either

Just defeated the 4th boss of the game (Crystal Sage).

The rather random mix of armour is because I just quickly threw on whatever would give me the most magic defense for the boss but still allow me a decent roll speed.

My character started out as a knight and is right now kind of a strength/dex hybrid with just barely enough faith to make use of the most basic heal miracle. Main weapon is a halberd+2, with a broadsword+2 as a backup for situations when the halberd is too slow to be usable. His soul level is 36 after just going up 4 levels.

I may have met van's Papa Emeritus on a Dancer fight. He spew lightning from every pore, awesome faith build.
    My character name is Skia, luck/dex build with a hollow skimitar and black bow which I always use on Dancer.

Moderator and Priest
    Speaking of the ballista in the smoldering lake, there's a secret behind a breakable wall just around the corner a ways from the Demon Ruin bonfire that you can bait the ballista into breaking open for you. I only noticed it after I disabled the thing, so I don't know what it is, but it's there for anyone interested.