TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls III: Scholar of the First Spoiler Filled Dark Souls III Thread

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by van HellSing View Post
    Stop that right now.
    No. You can't stop me.

Quote Originally Posted by salass00 View Post
    I would say that the skeletons are just there to show that he's eaten people and the bones probably haven't been digested yet.
    Probably. Though that ragged, wispy skirt he wears around his...er...blobby lower half is very reminiscent of Nito's shroud. Considering he's called the Devourer of the Gods, and the fact he's danging one of them about over his head like a puppet kinda helps to drive that point home, it's safe to assume that the skirt is there to show that, yes, he ate Nito as well.

...and probaby Queelana too, since he's uses pyromancy heavily during the second half of the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Probably. Though that ragged, wispy skirt he wears around his...er...blobby lower half is very reminiscent of Nito's shroud.
    The skirt reminds me more of Nashandra to be honest.

That's because Nashandra ate Nito. Duh.

Moderator and Priest
    It's all just one big chain smörgasbord of people eating each other! 7 8 9! 7 8 9!

Smorgasbord Souls would be a pretty badass title! We should pitch that to Miyazaki.

I always wondered how estus tastes like ...

Moderator and Priest
    SunnyD mixed with Redbull, I bet.

I've been playing this without referring to a walkthrough so far but am pretty sure that I have been to all of the areas in the game and must be nearing the end as I've now got all of the Lord's ashes. I only just realised by mistake after getting a contextual message to place the ashes on one of the thrones that this is what I'm meant to do with them. Having recently given the dead eyes to the Firekeeper, and hearing the ominous music change, I'm now wondering if I've triggered a bad ending and so am holding off placing all of the ashes until after I've completed the Dragon's Peak area. The Wyvern is dead now, as is the Havel look-alike but there seems as though there is a fair bit more to this location to get through yet before going back to the Shrine.

Speaking of the journey to where I found the eyes, unlike any other part of the game, I somehow managed to get through the Consumed King's Garden and the following Untended Graves area without dying once, which included both bosses and two invasions along the way. It's not so much that the area is easy in any way (I ran past those black ooze monstrosities incidentally), it's just that it was less vicious and unforgiving than the horrors of Lothric Castle, where I died many times exploring some of the best designed areas in the whole series, in my opinion. When I reached the sunless version of the Shrine I really thought that I had stuffed up the game completely, particularly after reading the "I've failed" message that someone left at the beginning of the untended graves area. While I'm still wondering if I have stuffed up, it was a relief to get back to the "real" shrine. I've been reflecting on the old handmaiden trader who looks identical to one of the old firekeepers from DS2 and now think that she has more to do with the story than what I initially thought. Note to self to go back and review some of her comments from DS2...

Moderator and Priest
    Semi sorta spoiler time regarding the state of the endings:

While you can miss out on getting the best ending if you don't do certain things at certain times, setting up the two more standard endings can be done at will at any point up until the fight with the final boss. You've now allowed yourself the option to choose between light the fire/age of dark, but haven't screwed yourself in any way whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by salass00 View Post
    Just defeated my 9th boss after taking a break from playing for about a week.

Nice work... but wow, people can have different experiences in this game.

I've beat him with two different character builds and helped others beat him about a dozen times and that's the first time I've ever seen him summon a purple phantom. Bizarre.

I guess if you attack him hard and fast while he's beginning the summon, you either disrupt the summon or you kill the clone just as it manifests. I didn't realize I was doing this, so when I saw that purple clone in your fight, I thought, "WTF is that?" despite having fought him over a dozen times already.

Yes you can kill the clone before it starts moving if you have good enough DPS. What weapon were you using? Cause the fact you didn't notice it even in coop, where the clone has a HP boost too, is unbelievable.

Meanwhile I managed to solo the Dancer, which was probably the hardest fight so far. Took like 15 attempts. Pontiff is up there, but at least you can parry him. It also didn't help that I fought the Dancer with a zwei, and, well, slow weapons are just not that effective in this game. I ended up using the 2 handed R2 only, thinking since I hit slow with all moves either way, I might as well hit hard. I was never really sure what I was doing in the second phase though, mostly just panic rolled through attacks. But it's done!

Well, just to be clear, as far as the "unbelievable" bit, I really didn't mean the post to be some kind of boast -- just sincere surprise. I just sincerely hadn't noticed any phantom that would emerge from the main body and operate separately. Since the phantom appears to emerge directly from his main body, it's possible it was there and I just misinterpreted it as the visual effect for some temporary spell buff.

As for the DPS... I don't recall the exact numbers, but the first time was with a strict mage build. He's primarily a sorcerer, but he's not stubborn about spells, so he uses plenty of pyromancy too. For this fight with this character, I strictly used the Great Chaos Fire Orb, with either a +6 or +7 pyromancy flame and the Witch's Ring, Swamp Ring and Fire Clutch Ring all stacked to amplify the pyromancy damage. At the time, his INT was about 35. I recall the pool of lava that this pyromancy leaves at the foot of the target being particularly effective against Sulyvahn, because it does continuous damage after the initial hit as long as he stands or rotates in place.

The second time I used a strict sword and board strength build -- no spells, no ranged weapons. I like to think she's so stupid if you handed her a crossbow she'd hold it upside down and backwards and shoot herself with it... but don't tease her about it cuz she'll chop you in half. With her, I used a +7 (I think) Claymore, with Charcoal Pine Resin applied (and re-applied). Her strength was in the mid 30s, and I used the Pontiff left and right eye rings, and... I don't remember the other rings because I switched them up a bit in my mulitiple attempts.

Sulyvahn was a much different and much tougher fight playing with her. It mostly came down to landing successive parry-ripostes. She wasn't as helpful in multiplayer summons because other players made it more difficult for me to line-up and time my parry-ripostes. Though the two-handed R2 thrust with Charcoal Pine Resin applied might be what kept that clone from emerging.

Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    Meanwhile I managed to solo the Dancer, which was probably the hardest fight so far. Took like 15 attempts. Pontiff is up there, but at least you can parry him. It also didn't help that I fought the Dancer with a zwei, and, well, slow weapons are just not that effective in this game. I ended up using the 2 handed R2 only, thinking since I hit slow with all moves either way, I might as well hit hard. I was never really sure what I was doing in the second phase though, mostly just panic rolled through attacks. But it's done!
    I also found him to be one of the toughest so far, particularly as I had to solo him due to networking issues endemic to this area. It took me at least 15 tries as well, my heart pumping like a jackhammer when I finally beat him, with my remaining health meter barely visible to the naked eye. I beat Pontiff on my second attempt though, with help, with little difficulty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    I've beat him with two different character builds and helped others beat him about a dozen times and that's the first time I've ever seen him summon a purple phantom
    That is strange. After beating him on my second attempt I defeated him at least 3-4 times afterwards, helping others, and always facing off against his purple people eater clone.

Moderator and Priest
    My fight with the Abyss Watchers. I wasn't nearly so graceful with them as I was with The Dancer.

Is that on NG or NG+?

Moderator and Priest
    NG+. You can tell by the raw amount of damage I'm doing, which wouldn't be that high if I were still in the first playthrough.

It is done . I was lucky and managed to take down the final boss on my first attempt with the help of another player. Ditto for the Nameless King. Both of those battles would have been very difficult without help I reckon.

I'll post more about my impressions of DS3 at some later stage, but for now I need to get some sleep. It's been a long week.

Is it just me or does this guy have pretty ridiculous health/resistance?

I will try again later, but had to take a break for now because my hands were beginning to cramp near the end of that fight and it's really too hot here right now as well to play games.

It's a gimmick fight. You got the Storm Ruler, right? Charge it up fully, then unleash massive damage.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by van HellSing View Post
    It's a gimmick fight.
    I hated that fight for that very reason. I actually managed to get him down to half health twice, before I said screw it, figured I was doing something wrong, then hit up a walkthrough to figure out how to kill him.

He'd be a great boss if you weren't forced to use what's basically a designed cheat to get past him

My fight with the Abyss Watchers. I wasn't nearly so graceful with them as I was with The Dancer.

What's that thing with the fire sword? I've fought the Abyss Walkers dozens of times and I've never seen that. How do you trigger it to happen?

(Ha ha?)

Moderator and Priest
    You gotta hit up up down down left right left right B A start right after you kill him to get the super secret fire sword boss.

Ah, figures. Another gimmick fight.

I hated that fight for that very reason. I actually managed to get him down to half health twice, before I said screw it, figured I was doing something wrong, then hit up a walkthrough to figure out how to kill him.

He'd be a great boss if you weren't forced to use what's basically a designed cheat to get past him
    His moveset is fairly simple compared with the other bosses. It's more a long winded slugfest than anything else which I presume is even more pronounced in NG+.

Moderator and Priest
    I haven't fought him in NG+ yet. But when I do, I'm going to grab the sword, and whack him with some wind. It'd be too tedious to do it the old fashioned way.

Just defeated Yhorm the Giant and the Dancer of the Boreal Valley.

Yhorm was really easy with the storm ruler once I figured out how I was supposed to be using it, that the L2 is not just a stance but needs to be "charged up" before you can do the proper L2 + R2 attack.

I also tried one more time with the broadsword on Yhorm but I died after getting his health down to just a little over 10% and I didn't have the patience for another long attempt like that. I managed to get through his first phase with only using one estus (IIRC) but once he's on fire he gets a little less easy to predict so I started taking damage every once in a while and suddenly I was all out of healing items. I included the last part of this attempt at the beginning of the video.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast