TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: The Surge

Level 10,000 achieved

The Surge

The Lords of the Fallen-devs at Deck13 have decided to make hay while the sun is shining! So just in time for DS3's release, here's the first gameplay footage of their upcoming Soulsalike.

Still Soulsy, but now with a sci-fi theme instead of fantasy. I liked Lords well enough, so here's hoping this'll be good.

Release date: 2017

Platforms: PC, PS4, XB1

The body targeting mechanic sounds pretty cool and seems to work in a similar way to Jedi Outcast 2. I'm kind of wondering how they are going to explain why guns haven't been invented yet, or if they have, why everyone's using swords instead.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I believe they're more repurposed industrial tools than swords. It's set in a factory, which I'm guessing is in some remote place. And so there aren't any guns because why would there be?

They released a 15 minute gameplay presentation of this now at Gamescom. I definitely like it.

verbose douchebag
    Looks definitely worth a pop.

I started playing this yesterday. The coombat feels solid, I like it. It's stamina based like in the souls games, but also has a unique flavor (there are no iframes, for example). It also has the feel of impact that Lord of the Fallen had, which is great. This one's faster though. I like the rpg system too. It's a simple one, not stat based, but it's fine for a game like this. Of course it has the soulslike "if you die everything respawns and you have to get your resource back" thing, but you know, other than this, it doesn't feel like a knockoff, it has its own personality IMO. I'm definitely liking it so far.

Wait, no iframes? Not even for those slow-ass finishers? Does that mean you're fully vulnerable while the animations play out?

Oh, you do have them on finishers. Forgot about that. Just not on dodges or backstabs (the latter is different from finishers and cancellable).

Hmm... looking at some footage, doesn't seem half bad. It seems they have learned a lot from Lords of the Fallen.

I've never played a Dark Souls game, but couldn't resist the 'exoskeleton Borg' theme and decided to buy The Surge. While I don't have any frame of reference with the Souls games, I am enjoying this quite a bit. Even basic enemies can be very quickly lethal if you screw up, so there's a constant sense of challenge, and the combat feels good. I'm not sure if other games in the genre work this same way, but enemies don't respawn over time, they respawn the instant you go back to home base to cash in collected resources and upgrade, and progress is made by unlocking shortcuts so you don't have to slog through all the enemies every time. The upgrade mechanic of targeting specific body parts and lopping them off isn't a gimmick, it's a pretty viscerally entertaining M-rated take on the Megaman-esque gameplay concept of acquiring powers from defeated enemies.

Reviews are mixed so I was prepared for it to underwhelm, but I've gotten as far as the first boss and so far it seems like a polished AAA title with solid gameplay. It remains to be seen whether it'll wear out its welcome over the length of the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    I'm not sure if other games in the genre work this same way, but enemies don't respawn over time, they respawn the instant you go back to home base to cash in collected resources and upgrade, and progress is made by unlocking shortcuts so you don't have to slog through all the enemies every time.
    Yes, that's very typical of this sub genre.

Btw, I found a useful post on the Steam forums, some tips&tricks about the combat: http://steamcommunity.com/app/378540...0669221499552/

Moderator and Priest
    My interest is piqued, but I think I'm gonna wait to see what you're all saying once you've gotten a bit farther into the game before picking it up for myself.

Thanks Malleus for the link, I've been having trouble figuring out how to properly block so that will help. I got to the second area feeling like tough stuff, and promptly got my butt handed to me by the basic enemies. I'm starting to get a handle on their behaviors and attack patterns, but I've also run into some new non-humanoid enemies that are proving very difficult to predict. The three-wheeled robots in particular are tough, I'm not sure how to get behind them to hit their weak spot.

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    The three-wheeled robots in particular are tough, I'm not sure how to get behind them to hit their weak spot.
    You have to use jump counter or duck counter against them. Basically, when you're blocking, you can move the right stick / mousewheel up and the character will jump. This avoids certain low sweeping attacks. Same with moving the right stick / mousewheel down, the character ducks, avoiding certain high sweeping attacks. You have to time these, of course. If you press R1 or R2 immediately after these moves, you will do a counter attack.

These robots have counterable high and low sweeping attacks. If you land the counter, the robot will be stunned for a bit, enough to get behind it and get a few hits in. You can also get behind it once it starts repairing itself.

EDIT: I read that using the concussion drone on them also stuns them.
    Last edited by Malleus; 19th May 2017 at 18:55.

I actually found a dumb, but reliable and effective way to do it- get right up next to them and circle-strafe. They'll pause to make an attack (doesn't matter which), and then you can run in and get a hit or two on the vulnerable leg. I might try properly countering, I just have a hard time knowing if I'm supposed to duck or jump.

On another note, I've found a particularly nasty combo in the form of a full set of Lynx gear, energy-accrual-boosting implants, the spend-energy-to-heal implant, and the dual-rig arm blades. The blades attack very quickly, and the Lynx set bonus increases attack rate when at high health. With the energy accrual bonuses it very quickly charges up for either a finishing move or healing. What kind of build have you been running?

Well, I can't circle strafe them because I'm using the Imperator weapon (single rigged), which is slow. The robot finishes its attack and turns around before I can hit the back, so I have to stun. I'm using that weapon with full Rhino gear (high stability, defense and impact bonus for weapon) with implants for max HP and standard healing injectors. So basically the complete opposite of your build.

Hah, sounds like it. I was actually using full Rhino and switching between the chainsaw and Imperator, but kept finding that screwing up my timing got me killed in short order, so I decided to give the speedy build a try and it's surprising how quickly it shivs things to death. I appreciate that so far I haven't run across any particular weapons or builds that seem totally OP, they just facilitate very different playstyles.