TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In Search of Paradise - VR version now in Beta!

Henke! RPS mentioned your game again!https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...trends-2016/6/

Level 10,000 achieved
    Aaaaah!

Good find PigLick, I probably wouldn't have noticed that.

Level 10,000 achieved

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD. THE VIRTUAL REAL WORLD THAT IS

OH YES

Getting basic VR support in was as easy as importing the Oculus Utilities package and ticking the "Virtual Reality supported" checkbox in the build settings. 2D UI elements don't show up in VR tho, but they do display on the monitor. Also, I swapped out the car model because the old one didn't have an interior. This is a free 2500 polygon model I found in the Asset Store, just had to separate the mesh for the steering wheel so I could link it's rotation to the steering value.

I gotta say that right out of the box this feels pretty good to play, but I'm not sure how far I'll go with it. At the minimum I might just release a free VR version of the game, but I'm also toying with the idea of something more ambitious.

Looking forward to trying this one out once you're done!

Level 10,000 achieved
    OH?

THINK YOU'LL GET OUT OF BETA TESTING DUTIES THAT EASILY, DO YOU?

>:I

Your mother's a beta tester!

Or rather: okay, if you don't find anyone else with my impeccable criticical skills, I guess I'll gladly beta test it.

Level 10,000 achieved

Lol

Level 10,000 achieved
    I've been dragging my feet on my ambitious gamedev plans this summer, but that all changed over the weekend. I have been gamedeving like a man possessed! Possessed by game-developing ghosts, that is!

I thought cranking out a VR version of this game would be easier, really. And indeed, getting the very first rough version seen above was easy, but remaking menus and interfaces, and adding a new car with interior view did end up taking quite a bit of work. I've also tweaked the car physics quite a bit to make it a more pleasant drive.

I'm aiming to have a beta version ready by the end of the week, and I hope I can count on the good VR-owning folks here to try this out for me!

Anyone try implementing SteamVR/OpenVR in a Unity project yet? (Fafhrd?) The way I want this to work with the camera/positioning is that the headposition is in a certain spot that you can always recenter to. I got it working the way I want with Oculus, but with SteamVR it seems you don't set the position of the user's head, but the position of the user's feet? In other words, where I place the camera in the scene, the game interprets not as the position for the camera, but as the zero-point on the user's floor. Did some googling, but I can't figure out how to get it to place the camera there instead.

Wait how would it know where your feet are?

Level 10,000 achieved
    When you do the room-scale setup for SteamVR you set up the floor-height as well. It's not so much your feet, as the centre-point of your outlined playarea at floor-level.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    Wait how would it know where your feet are?
    At the end of your legs?

*ba-dum tsh!*

Anyway, I'm currently taking a bit of a break from VR due to the temperatures (and Hollow Knight), but I'm very much looking forward to checking this out. This and the Alien: Isolation VR mod, but in case the latter is the last thing I'll ever do I'll make sure to send you some feedback before I go and face the xenomorph in VR.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Working dashboard and map implemented.

Lookin' good! The Interstate '76 I get from it makes me think that you should add a virtual body with an enormous VR 'stache, though. Something to admire in the rear view mirror.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Heh, that would be cool. Too ambitious for this project tho.

If you were doing a Kickstarter campaign, the enormous moustache would obviously have to be a stretch goal.

With its size based on the total mindset raised.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Thought maybe I can release Beta today or tomorrow. Then I did a full playthrough and found a pile of new issues.

Beta release pushed back to Saturday or Sunday.

For what it's worth, I'm unlikely to play it before Sunday anyway. Temperatures should be coming down on Sunday, which means that VR is back on the menu, boys.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Game was in pretty good shape until I did something and then it wouldn't stop crashing. Have managed to get it to stop crashing constantly, but now the car physics aren't behaving right. Oh, and it won't start outside of the Unity Editor.

Beta release pushed back to: when it works as it should.

Administrator
    I guess someone has to pick up the mantle now that Grimoire has actually been released.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Heh, hopefully it won't take me 17 years to finish this.

In fact things are looking up, managed to fix the startup and vehicle physics issues. The beginning of the game now works as it should, but not the ending, which I'll fix up tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have the beta up by the evening.

Level 10,000 achieved

In Search Of Paradise Beta v0.4 (86MB)

Works with Oculus Rift. Mayyyybe works with Vive? I checked Oculus and OpenVR SDKs when I built it, dunno if that actually does anything. Would love if someone with a Vive could download and see if anything happens at all when you launch it. But I suspect I'll eventually have to make a separate build for Vive.

In it's current state the game is complete, with a beginning, middle and end. Only major issue is that vehicle velocity does not reset to zero when loading a checkpoint or restarting, so it'll have the same momentum as it did before the load and thus might end up flying all over the place after you've loaded. Working on a fix for this. Also of course there's plenty of spit n polish I still need to do, gague texts, better sun flare, gas station text issues, etc.

But let me know if you find anything major. All suggestions and feedback are welcome.

Yay! Will check this out next week. Very much looking forward to it!

Just played it and enjoyed it! I like the surreal atmosphere that is at the same time grounded by the car you're in, its sounds, the way it looks. I like how in the desert you can remember your name you can drive really fast while not seeming to move at all. Not sure the ending worked as intended; I got to the bust bridge and did the Thelma & Louise thing. As I ended up at the bottom, the car kinda got stuck in a wall, so I couldn't really move much, just a teensy bit forwards and backwards. Should the game have ended? I dunno.

Some notes:
    • I like the one bit with the titles, credits and music, but I kinda wish there'd been a bit more music. That's what I associate with long car rides in the US.
    • At the same time, the place didn't remind me of the United States so much as Wadi Rum in Jordan. Nice place, but that's where some more music might have helped, adjusting my associations.
    • The left-side rear view mirror doesn't seem to have a... rim? Not sure what you'd call it. Basically the mirror bit was floating just a centimetre or so away from the thing supposed to hold it.
    • I'm not a big fan of the external view; when you're really fast, the dust clouds and tyre tracks look bad. Not sure there's much you can do about those, but if the camera was a bit closer to the car it might not matter that much. The car itself feels fine.
    • Paradise looked a bit off to me, aesthetically, to the extent where I wasn't really sure what sort of effect you were going for. It's mostly the colour, which looked quite CGA cyan to me.
    • The car physics are okay, but I think they could be improved. As it is, driving itself feels okay, but IMO it should feel good. Don't ask me what that means in concrete terms, though.
    • The sound is perfect, though.
    • I like how you can change the sun's position and therefore the lighting. Nifty!

And that's it. I'd very much recommend this to anyone who's got a VR headset, because it'll take you into the mind of one crazy but lovely Finnish guy, and who wouldn't want that?