TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In Search of Paradise - VR version now in Beta!

Level 10,000 achieved

In Search of Paradise - VR version now in Beta!

Over the past couple weeks I've taken part in the Idle Thumbs Wizard Jam. I made this thing, it's done, you can play it. Enjoy.

https://henke.itch.io/in-search-of-paradise
    Last edited by henke; 6th Aug 2017 at 13:02.

So you know, Interstate '76 and Mexican Motor Mafia are two games that really connected with me, so it's nice to see another entry in the desert highway muscle car genre. I'm also expecting to see some insight into your soul, well ok not that, but at least into your well-known fascination with driving the open road and the American Southwest. But something tells me it's not a game about finding answers, but about the search for them. Will report after a good play through. Downloading...

Chakat sex pillow
    Same! Will play sometime this week (it's a busy week) and post back.

Ok, I'll comment while it's fresh. It's not too long.
    It's not so big, so I won't nitpick it and just take it for what it is & focus on what I liked about it.

spoiler:

I like how even the very start is a kind of litmis test of what kind of player should be playing. Someone that ragequits when they run into the first dummy tunnel maybe shouldn't be playing to start with.

As for the gameplay, I liked it but I'm conscious it's not everybody's cup of tea. I remember a map called "meshdemo", doesn't even exist online anymore, that was just a massive empty island, except the author said he hid Lara Croft somewhere in it, so being me that was enough for me to trek that whole island looking for her. I guess it's a personality thing that gets sucked into that kind of thing, but it's definitely the type for this game. Simple but it doesn't need much more, and there's also impromptu ramps if you want a little more.

The sort of ambiguity between having some deep mystery vs being just as simple as you think it is was kind of cool. That's the Kentucky Route Zero influence, aside from the obvious link with the uncertain roadtrip & gas stations.

I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but I had the feeling the car sometimes steered itself to your next stop. Maybe it's best to leave that as a mystery.

I think your big reveal had the intended effect. I was really expecting Paradise to be just a metaphor, and I arrived at night time. I did a pretty epic double-take when I realized the distant figures resolving weren't rocks. Really cool moment & made for a great climax.

And of course I'm not going to listen to no stinkin' attendant tells me I can't cross that bridge, not with that lead in.

Cool game!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Heeey, cool! As far as I know you're the first person to finish it. Out of interest, about how long did it take you?

Now that I think about it I wasn't paying attention, but in the 1 - 1.5 hour range I think. I wasn't being all that disciplined, and sometimes stopped to try to climb rocks on foot and the like. It's a roam-around kind of game where you shouldn't feel in any real rush to be able to get into it I think.

Heeeeey, you're on RPS. Good job, dude.

Administrator
    Link (to save searching around in future )

Level 10,000 achieved
    THIS IS IT

I CAN FEEL IT

SMALL TIME INDIE FAME HERE I COOOOOOOOOMMMMMEEEEEEEE

Congrats henke Looks like a fun little game, I'll it a go as soon as I have some more time to play games again.

Waiting for the Steam release.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    THIS IS IT

I CAN FEEL IT

SMALL TIME INDIE FAME HERE I COOOOOOOOOMMMMMEEEEEEEE
    BUT YOU'RE RETIRING!

Level 10,000 achieved
    For now. I'll probably announce a new game as well as my triumphant comback to gamedevelopment in a few months.

As you've reached your goal, I think this is where you finally choose to become the Peter Molyneux of small time indie development. Mercurial, visionary, ever so slightly bonkers. What could possibly go wrong?

Southquarter.com/fms
    @henke - hey, congrats on the RPS mention. Maybe I should get your autograph now before it gets too expensive. Seriously though, that's really cool, and it has to feel good.

Level 10,000 achieved
    The Idle Thumbs crew did a livestream of the Wizard Jam games, or at least half of them.

(they get to In Search of Paradise at ~2:43:00)

Considering the amount of games they have to go through, and the size of my game, they got much further into it than I'd expected! They made it more than halfway to Paradise, in fact.

Don't undersell it. They were in paradise mate!

Also want to pay my dues before you become too famous. What will they call you then? HenkeGameDevXCX?

Level 10,000 achieved
    After my rise of Game Dev stardom and my marriage to Charli XCX? Yes.

Administrator
    I was not sure how to find paradise. The guy at the gas station refused to give me directions. The car has power and cornering issues as well. One of the tunnels doesn't work!

How long did that take to bash together? I was wondering how easy Unity is to work with.

Administrator
    I had another go and got to the titles and the music, then got lost and ran out of fuel. There aren't many visual cues for where to go.

Level 10,000 achieved
    There are a few cues, but not many. Remember to look around using the mouse or right thumbstick, and I'd recommend resting at the gas stations and only traveling by day.

Took me ~16 intense evenings to bash together, but of course I have a couple years of using Unity, professionally and in my free time, behind me. If you're interested in trying your hand at Unity I can only say YES! DO IT! Either that or UE4. Even if you don't end up making anything they're fun to play around with.

https://unity3d.com/get-unity

https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4

Hell, they're free, get both!
    Last edited by henke; 17th Jun 2016 at 14:49.

Administrator
    Looks interesting but it could eat up a lot of time. Last bit of game programming I tried was modding minecraft, took a while to get going there and mostly what I learned is that Minecraft Forge is a bit of a mess. Well I guess much of the modding is done by kids with not much coding experience...

I kind of got a bit disappointed in the past not having much to show for hours of fiddling with game editors.

edit - the docs are impressive for both Unity and UE4 now. Not so much dependence on guesswork or reverse engineering existing levels.

Looks like you have your first spiritual successor -- https://jsqrs.itch.io/exit19.

I saw that on some gaming site and immediately thought of henkes game

Level 10,000 achieved
    Haha, that looks cool.

BTW, as it happens, tomorrow is the start of the next Idle Thumbs Wizard Jam!

I've got an idea for something, and - unless laziness overcomes me - I shall have a new game out in a couple weeks!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    "Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends, and Henke's Homepage for everyone!! -Tom Waits