TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watch_Dogs 2

Take that, Digital Foundry! Thanks, henke, that's definitely reassuring. Except for the bit with all the colours of the rainbow - sounds a bit gay, but then again, this is San Francisco we're talking about. As long as we don't have to make a cake in-game...

First you make a cake, then you HACK it with the INTERNET!

Chakat sex pillow
    Let's not forget the ICEing on it, eh. Mmm, delicious neural shorting.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Haven't done any cake-bake missions yet, but here's one I did last night where I steal a fancy car from a movie set. This is actually the first proper story-mission. If it looks like I occasionally don't know what I'm doing, it's because I don't.

It took me forever to finish that tutorial mission (I don't think it was particularly good at teaching the basics in a clear way, and the controls are surprisingly different from the first game), but I definitely prefer this one's much sillier, OTT and just generally fun vibe to the first's grim pompousness.

Level 10,000 achieved
    w00t! Did you get it on PS4? If so, we should do some co-op!

Yes and yes. I don't have a headset on PS4, so I'd be the strong, silent type who breaks out of stealth for no apparent reason and is then killed horribly, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for you when I next play.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I've been sticking to the stungun so far and going for a non-lethal playstyle, partly because they've taken out Watch_Dogs' slo-mo, which would make shootouts less fun, but also because killing a bunch of people would feel at odds with the overall tone of the story and the main character.

Although, sure, I have hacked countless cars to make them drive into oncoming traffic, into lakes and over my enemies. But those people all probably made it out alive, right? I'm sure they're fine.

Remember how often we get run over and killed in GTA Online? Yet we always respawn. Same thing for NPCs. They all respawn at the farm, where they can frolic with lambs, kittens, ponies...

I've not played on yet, because I find that the writing in the game is very small on my 50" screen . I can read it, but it looks like it was designed for larger screens, or like I should sit closer to the screen. I'm thinking of getting a new TV, though, and possibly before Christmas - not just because of the writing in Watch_Dogs 2 (and Arkham Knight, Borderlands in split-screen mode etc.), but also for movies'n'stuff.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    the writing in the game is very small on my 50" screen
    It pains me that you suffer so.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I have a 36" TV and yeah, the texts in hacked phonemessages is a bit too small to comfortably read. Then again none of that stuff is really essential, just flavour.

Here's more videoevidence of my badassery.

I love the car-hacking ability. It's my favourite superpower in a game in a long while.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Finished it yesterday. Ending mission was kinda limp. Limp... like a A BIZKIT! That is to say it was AWESOME! No, I'm just kidding. I'm being an ironic hipster because this game is teaching me bad lessons. Seriously tho, ending missions was kinda limp. Gameplaywise it was good stealthing in an environment well-designed for sneaking around, but storywise it didn't have much ompfh.

Ok, as for the rest of the game:

Writing and characters:
    Probably the most likable characters in any Ubisoft game since Beyond Good & Evil. But also a bit all over the place. Sometimes the characters' interaction are really sincere and funny, but sometimes it feels like it's trying too hard to be quirky. It feels like it was written by a dozen different people, and that's probably because it was. Also some of the character moments don't come across as realistic. For instance, Marcus and Wrench trade references and in-jokes like they've been lifelong friends a mere couple hours into the game, despite the fact that they didn't know eachother before the game starts.

Gameplay:
    Glad to see it's not just "more of the same", instead effort has been made to make the gameplay more focused on hacking and less on violence, by removing slo-mo-mode and fleshing out your hacking abliities instead. I played it without using guns 99% of the time, and the game is no lesser for it. I've said it before, but the car-hacking powers are simply delightful, and the RC toys are fun too.

Score: 9/10

Sounds good! Definitely looking forward to returning to this one, although I may just play The Last Guardian first...

Southquarter.com/fms
    @henke - how's the stealth overall? Is it the kind of game where you can sneak through the entire thing, or are you eventually going to have to start shooting up the place?

Level 10,000 achieved
    You absolutely can sneak through the whole thing. IIRC there are no points where the game forces you into a shootout.

Overall the stealth gameplay feels very good. To rate it against other 3rd person sneakers, the movement is slicker and less clunky than any of the Assassin's Creeds, but not as slick as Batman (no one is as slick as Batman). As for emergent gameplay and complexity of gameplay systems, it's pretty complex! Lots of tools at your disposal and environmental elements that come into play. I might go as far as saying only MGS V has it beat in this category. And as for the final category, dopeness of duds, WD2 definitely has the dopest duds! SORRY BATMAN

Level 10,000 achieved
    SC-C-C-C-CREEEEEEEENSHOOOOOOOOTTTTSSSS

Just sittin on the street, hackin' stuff. #hacklyfe

Just sittin on a car which is hoisted up by a forklift truck which I HACKED. NEXT LEVEL BABY

Hacking stuff while I'm somewhere I'm not supposed to be.

The time we went to Burning Man...

and met this guy.

HACKING PLANET: 99% COMPLETE

Now getting into this game and really enjoying it - which is a bit of a surprise, since I disliked the first game. A lot of that is due to personality, though: of the protagonists, but also of the city. San Francisco and the Bay Area are simply much more interesting and fun to navigate, and while the characters are silly, that silliness is embraced, which I find vastly preferable to dour, self-righteous Aiden Pearce. (There are traces of self-awareness in Watch_Dogs handling of its main character, but they're too few and far between, which makes the game seem rather schizophrenic at times.)

I'm not far yet, having only done a couple of the main missions - but one thing I'm finding a bit annoying is that there are a number of activities and (at least side-)missions that, if I'm not mistaken, I simply can't do yet because I lack a certain skill. That's okay, but I spent a fair time trying to get to places without much of an indication from the game that I can't get there *yet*. I don't need a big sign saying, "Don't proceed here unless you've got skill X!", but you can hint at these things a bit more subtly. As it was, I didn't know if it was simply a case of me, the player, being blind or incompetent.

The more I play this game, the more underrated I find it, at least by players at large. It's definitely shallow in the way most Ubisoft titles are, but I'm finding the characters endearingly goofy and the world is fantastic. IMO this is the Watch Dogs equivalent of Assassins Creed Syndicate: it avoids a lot of the flaws of its predecessor and is just way more fun.

What gpu are you using and how does it perform? Quite interested in this but my graphics card is just under the minimum specs, which I take with a grain of salt because the Witcher 3 runs fine at medium detail on my pc.

I'm playing it on PS4, I'm afraid... I also got a free copy on PC, but I haven't played much of it beyond the tutorial, and since I've got a GTX 1080 I'm not sure my reply would be of help to you.

haha fair enough, guess by the time it goes on a good sale price I will have upgraded by then

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    The more I play this game, the more underrated I find it, at least by players at large. It's definitely shallow in the way most Ubisoft titles are, but I'm finding the characters endearingly goofy and the world is fantastic. IMO this is the Watch Dogs equivalent of Assassins Creed Syndicate: it avoids a lot of the flaws of its predecessor and is just way more fun.
    I've just finished the first Watch Dogs, and have been baffled by the lukewarm reception that one got too.

I don't understand gamers sometimes, I really don't.

Will definitely be picking up this one as soon as there's a decent sale.

Don't take my word re: Watch_Dogs 2, then, since I was one of the people who were rather lukewarm about the first one.

Everything I've seen suggests the sequel is an improvement over the original, whatever someone thought of the first

What the sequel IMO does much better is tone: as I've written before, I like that they were trying to create an ambivalent character in Aiden Pearce in the first game, but to my mind they did a bad job. At best, Pearce was a dull, generically grim player character, at worst the game's story was torn between painting him as a self-centered murderous jerk and a justified vigilante power fantasy that we're unequivocally supposed to enjoy playing. Watch_Dogs 2 is much sillier, but for me that silliness works considerably better. Some players found the millennial hackers of WD2 annoying, but for me they work pretty well, because the game knows they're actually pretty silly.

The other thing I very much prefer, which is connected to the tone: I found the original game's Chicago a boring, drab environment, but San Francisco is considerably more varied, already topographically. There's a lot more verticality, which I like in an open world (it's also why San Fierro was my favourite environment in San Andreas), there's a lot more colour, there are ethnically varied quarters. Obviously it's a touristy version of SF, but for me that works very well. I'm using fast travel pretty rarely because I enjoy getting to know this space.

I don't know how you saw these things in the original, and your priorities may well be different, but these (plus lots of smaller elements) make me enjoy WD2 where the original mostly bored and annoyed me.