TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Dark Souls 1 global restart day

verbose douchebag

Dark Souls 1 global restart day

I saw over on the Dark Souls sub-reddit that they are celebrating 100k subscribers by having a global restart day where on Friday 10th June, many players will start a new character and play through.

So if anyone is toying with the idea of playing again, it could be the best time as the multi-player will probably be more active than at any other time since the game was current.
    Last edited by faetal; 9th Jun 2016 at 04:46.

Yeah, why not, I'll start another playthrough. I played through DS1 without the help of other players 99% of the time; not because I was so good, but because G4WL multiplayer was so bad. It was still assuring to see all of rhe ghosts as well as other player's messages but summonning other players failed almost every time.

verbose douchebag
    I never got to play a magic caster in the DS games much, but I have an INT/STR character I abandoned in the Blight Town swamp I may pick back up. I figure most of the players will be progressing through much quicker than me, so starting quarter of the way through should be OK.

verbose douchebag
    Well I don't know what any of you are up to, but I've been playing a lot of DkS1 of late. The game is really well populated, whether that's as a result of the Reddit thing or just the people who discovered the series with DkS3 and are now playing back, I'll never know. But it's been great - I've managed to get myself summoned a lot for the bosses. Decided to go with a STR/DEX character in the end as I fancy having a go with weapon variety and not doing bad. Killed Gaping Dragon and Stray Demon, now on to Blight Town. I'm also using a bunch of hi res texture mods, which hasn't hurt the experience any.

I just started DS again, albeit with a copy from my surface pro of a saved game from a trip to HK at the beginning of the year. I haven't played long enough to see any other players yet but in February it was fairly dead so any increase in players are probably likely to have something to do with Reddit or a resurgence of interest in the series with the release of DS3.

Anyway, time to do a little farming...

verbose douchebag
    Let me know if you fancy some co-op at some point. I'm heading for Blight Town and Queelag next.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Let me know if you fancy some co-op at some point.
    Same here. I didn't start a new character now, but I have like, 10 of them, and I don't think I ever uninstalled this game.

I'm pretty sure I'll never uninstall Dark Souls.

verbose douchebag
    Well I'm level 33 in Blight Town. Username faetal.

Let me know if you fancy some co-op at some point. I'm heading for Blight Town and Queelag next.
    Sure. Anyone that isn't already connected with me on Steam can find me on TTLG-Cru or by searching for twisty. I'm at level 40 and standing at the gates of Sen's Fortress.

verbose douchebag
    I'm level 35 and about to take on Queelag next time I jump in, which will likely be some time tonight (CET).

Msg me if I'm online and you want to tackle her together.

I know it's a different game but FWIW this thread inspired me to start a new character in Demon's Souls. Despite being a bit dated it is still the original and best Souls game IMHO, which is not to say that the Dark Souls games are bad.

The boss demons that I've beat so far are Phalanx, Tower Knight and Armour Spider (all on my first attempt which was not really unexpected). Also I got PWWT in Boletarian palace after killing Phalanx so I was able to kill executioner Miralda for the binded armour set. I failed to beat the tutorial boss (Vanguard) but I would say that was to be expected since I was rather unused to playing with the PS3 controller and it's quite a while since I played Demon's Souls last and that fight leaves very little room for mistakes.

Next up I will probably go to the valley of defilement to look for faintstone so that I can turn my +6 halberd into a blessed halberd.

The bosses Leechmonger, Adjudicator, Old Hero, Dirty Colossus and Maiden Astraea are now taken care of and I finally have a blessed halberd+5.

I bought 21 shards of faintstone from the filthy woman to make this last part happen (total cost amounting to 210k souls), yet she still claims that I don't give her enough souls...

Total death count is right now at four. One in the tutorial (Vanguard), one in 1-1 from rolling off a set of stairs and two in 5-1 from getting surrounded by depraved ones.

My next visit will probably be to tower of Latria as I could use some more fresh/old spice (current SL is 45 IIRC).
    Last edited by salass00; 1st Jul 2016 at 11:16. Reason: Forgot Old Hero

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    Msg me if I'm online and you want to tackle her together.
    Balls, I just saw this. I'm in Sen's Funhouse now making my way towards Iron Dickhead at level 41. Will prod you if I see you online later.

No worries. I was actually at the gates of Sen's fortress when you made your original post. I'm back there again now so I'll keep my eyes out for you over the weekend. Other than the odd game however I'll mostly be giving the DS games a break for a while until the DLC.

verbose douchebag
    Ah, the time difference is having its effect. I have now killed Iron Giant and am making my way to O&S.
    Got invaded by a blue guy, who on seeing that I could fight, decided to switch to pyromancies, oblivious to the fact that my Black Knight shield has 95% fire protection. A few lunges of the +10 Halberd soon saw to that. I had no idea that killing invaders netted so many souls - anyone know what that's based on?

Twisty - I've set up Steam so I get an alert when you appear online. I'm around level 50 now, so not sure if that puts me within summon range, but I'm more than happy to do a run of Sen's with you if you want?

I had no idea that killing invaders netted so many souls - anyone know what that's based on?
    It's based on their soul level multiplied by a number. IIRC this is also higher when you kill an invader as the host than when you kill the host as an invader.

FWIW I once invaded a person in the forest as a forest hunter and got around ~300k souls from killing him/her. I was only SL60 at the time with a strength build, using power within and dry pine resin to get extra damage.

If you input the amount souls you received here it will calculate what SL the invader/host would have been:
    http://winner.gets-it.net/
    Last edited by salass00; 2nd Jul 2016 at 11:43. Reason: Added link to soul level calculator

verbose douchebag
    Cool, cheers. I have to say that few things feel as good as killing an invader. Especially since this one decided to cheese me with pyro after I got in my first hit.

Just one boss left (False King) in my Demon's Souls NG playthrough.

Maneaters who I generally count to be one of the harder if not hardest bosses of the game fell easily enough. I killed the first one before the other one even had a chance to appear and I never came even close to getting my second chance triggered at any point during the fight.

Old Monk was boring old NPC version unfortunately (I guess not many people playing any more).

Despite not putting much effort into it and playing online I managed to quite easily do all of the PWWT events except for the ladder that appears in 5-1, which I probably could have done too had I cared enough to try to do it.

Also I went back and killed some not so useful NPCs just so I could do Mephistopheles' quests to get the two extra colourless demon's souls that I needed for my Adjudicator's shield.