TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Should Britain leave the European Union?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!...Must Brexit!

20 38.46%
  • NO!...We Must Remain!

25 48.08%
  • I have no idea what I want, yet I will vote anyway!

7 13.46%
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141924 ... LastLast

Thread: BREXIT --->

I guess the one advantage to being home sick is that I can vote anytime.

+1 Remain

verbose douchebag
    I won't be voting today. Why you ask? Because the weather's great in Lyon, I don't have to go to work and my proxy can bloody well do it for me

Lazy foreigners...

I'm trying to remember what I voted last time. I'm pretty sure it was a yes then as well. I don't know what it means to be British, I wasn't born here, I don't have a home town etc. I'm a European. If I believed in an Almighty, I'd be praying right now.

S'ok. I was born in the Soviet Union. Doesn't make me Soviet. And a professor I met once joked that since he had lived in Finland for 40 years, he's twice as Finnish as his students (he left Isle of Man when he was 20). It's the sum of your experiences that makes you who you are, not some label.
    Last edited by Starker; 23rd Jun 2016 at 07:04.

Quote Originally Posted by MoroseTroll View Post
    I'm watching this document from YouGov, and there are a few lines that seem strange a bit:

How can this be possible, to rig a referendum in Britain ? I mean, why so many people (28%) don't trust... um... their government?
    I think you'd struggle to rig something that big, electoral fraud isn't unknown in the UK and certainly postal voting and proxy voting are fairly open to it. It's hard to do that much about it without making actual real voters unable to vote though.
    Sensible punishments for anyone caught doing it would probably help a little but generally people trying to rig elections don't expect to get caught. The last person found guilty of rigging an election in the UK got banned from running again for 5 years and costs of £250k awarded against him, I don't think he paid much of it though.

I think it's an absolute certainty that there will be widespread small scale fraud on both sides. It's unlikely to be enough to make a big difference overall though.

I believe Brits should leave just to see where right populism leads to. Ultra rights and EUsceptics are on the rise in the EU too, lets give them what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I won't be voting today. Why you ask? Because the weather's great in Lyon, I don't have to go to work and my proxy can bloody well do it for me
    Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    Lazy foreigners...
    Yes, you see now why people want to leave, huh? HUH?

How long until the final results are in, by the way? And will there be any intermediary results in the mean time?

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    I'm trying to remember what I voted last time. I'm pretty sure it was a yes then as well. I don't know what it means to be British, I wasn't born here, I don't have a home town etc. I'm a European. If I believed in an Almighty, I'd be praying right now.
    I'm European. The UK is like my home town and I've moved down the road to France.

You must remember that Europe isnt an island though.

caffeinatedzombeh: The higher stakes, the stronger temptation... to push the scales a bit. Perhaps I'm looking like a cynic, but that horrible murder of Jo Cox MP - could it be that little push I'm talking about?

verbose douchebag
    She was murdered by a far right extremist because she supported allowing in Syrian refugees and the Remain campaign from what we can tell. Why, is there some new information that suggests he was a hired assassin?

Quote Originally Posted by dj_ivocha View Post
    How long until the final results are in, by the way? And will there be any intermediary results in the mean time?
    Polls close at 10pm so depending on how they're counting and releasing results I'd expect to start seeing stuff at about midnight. Final result at maybe 4am onwards? maybe even as late as sensible o'clock if it's extremely close and a high turnout.

Administrator
    Postal vote for staying in was sent the other week.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Why, is there some new information that suggests he was a hired assassin?
    He could be a person with unstable mind condition under someone's influence, i.e. some kind of a zealot who thinks he's a hand of god, etc.
    BTW, how often far extremists murder MPs because of Syrian refugees in Britain? The Syrian crisis has begun more than 5 years ago, so why that murderer did what he did just a few days ago? Someone can say it's just a coincidence, I can say it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Crossing my fingers for you guys.

My dad, who's German, has already asked me if, in the case of Brexit, I'd reapply for a German passport. I think it rankled him when back in the '90s I let mine expire and instead got a UK passport. Can't say I'd like identifying as a German when travelling, but it is something to consider.
    My father is an Irish citizen; if Britain votes to leave the EU then I would have no hesitation in replacing my British passport with an Irish one when it runs out next year.

why so many people (28%) don't trust... um... their government?

Who the hell would trust a government? Did you trust the US government when GW Bush was in charge? That's how those of us far-righters feel these days. Not that Bush was anything good either.

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    My father is an Irish citizen; if Britain votes to leave the EU then I would have no hesitation in replacing my British passport with an Irish one when it runs out next year.
    Yeah, but Irish vs. German? I'd swap with you anytime. (Which is totally irrational - a passport doesn't define me, so why would I resist getting a German one if I could and if it's advantageous?)

Nobody really seems to hate the Irish, they are definitely more internationally popular than the British and the Germans, so that is a consideration. The main thing is retaining your EU privileges though.

At the moment the betting is heavy odds on for Remain, but I can't help feeling it'll end up being scary close.

sorry for being ignorant but is this a compulsory vote?

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    Nobody really seems to hate the Irish, they are definitely more internationally popular than the British and the Germans, so that is a consideration. The main thing is retaining your EU privileges though.
    I have this fear - no idea if there's anything to it or not - that Brexit would deal a deep, possibly deadly wound to the EU. At least in historical terms, I'd say it's the UK, Germany and France that are central to the idea of Europe, and there are growing numbers in the latter two countries that would also jump at the chance of leaving if they were given a say.

Quote Originally Posted by Krush View Post
    Who the hell would trust a government?
    All Western countries position themselves as a democracies with a looong history. I think that would impossible if their people wouldn't trust their governments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krush View Post
    Did you trust the US government when GW Bush was in charge?
    If I was a US citizen, I guess I wouldn't .

Wow, have we found the one relentlessly sunny, trusting optimist left in the world? I've never spoken to anyone in any nation who was even halfway satisfied with the job their government was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    (he left Isle of Man when he was 20).
    And who could blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    sorry for being ignorant but is this a compulsory vote?
    No it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    And who could blame him.
    For sunny Finland? I... suppose.

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141924 ... LastLast