TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Henke Flash Animation Comeback Tour 2016-2017

Level 10,000 achieved

The Henke Flash Animation Comeback Tour 2016-2017

That's right, time for me to do what aging rockstars do when they come out of the woodwork and go "Hey guys, remember me? I used to be cool, right?". Gonna be releasing some of my old, unfinished, NEVER BEFORE SEEN animations! Mostly from the 2003-2004 era when I ran out of steam with the whole thing. Dusted off the old swf files and I'm remastering these things in Adobe Premiere so the sound'll sync up better than it ever did in Flash. Also gonna release remasters of some of my other animations like Wicked Negative One and Stick-Thief. That is, as long as no unforeseen technical hiccups occur and Youtube's music-rights-thingy doesn't get in the way too much.

To start things off here's something that was gonna be called The Trade. It was also briefly called Stick-Thief 2 before I came to my senses and renamed it back again. I didn't work on this for very long, but I did get the first halves of a couple pretty cool scenes done. So here, enjoy.

Last edited by henke; 20th Jul 2017 at 11:38. Reason: alright partner, you know what year it is. It's 2017. Keep rollin baby

This brings back memories. Great stuff, henke.

I like. Particularly the 2nd one.

Administrator
    Very nice . It’s a real shame they were never finished - the flow of "the chase" is well done.

Very cool, "the chase" is very Gunpoint-like.

As with all your "stuff" really enjoyed it. Like the movement you get into stick men.

is Best Pony
    ANDTD2 remaster plz thx

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hmm, yes, I might just remaster that one as well!

Today's unfinished animation is...

TURNCOAT!

A spy movie. Heavily influenced by Mission Impossible 2, James Bond movies, and some stories told by myself and other people in an old Deus Ex thread.

Henke, I think I told you this with your games, but I feel you have a good cinematography eye. Your Paradise game, the intro to that top-down racing prototyp and this... you should explore that skil more in a game format. I'd love to see you do somthing akin to 30 Flights of Loving. Or... maybe collaborate on one

While we're doing this, here's a really short dramatic story of butter and my first ever "published" flash anim Life of Hitler, which is bunch of crappily animated stick figures that I hear manage to get a few laughs. And a a collections of short skits about the Bible. Both somewhat offensive as you can probably guess ;p

Bunch of my other shorts on my yee old site in the hayday of Highschool days: http://koobazaur.com/old/?p=flash

EDIT: Also found some 'Shop from those days:

My signature when I belonged to a Day of Defeat (WW2) Realism Clan. Yes that is my face; yes I was a fatty ;p

and super nerdy joke: Newton's First LAW

and this thingy I dont even remember why I made:

Sorry for thread hijack, but you spawned my HS werb art nostalgia ;p
    Last edited by Yakoob; 17th Jun 2016 at 13:57.

Level 10,000 achieved
    THE HENKE FLASH ANIMATION COMBACK TOUR, NOW WITH SPECIAL GUEST.... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBB!!! *rap horn*

Man I didn't know you made Flash animations as well! That's some good stuff!

Level 10,000 achieved
    YOU DIDN'T ASK FOR IT: YOU GOT IT

MORE UNFINISHED FLASH ANIMATIONS

MORE TERRIBLE EARLY-00'S NU-METAL

THIS IS COWBOYDUDE 2

Level 10,000 achieved
    Wicked Negative Two. Originally named something else, and then something else again, before I figured I could wrangle the story into being yet another Wicked prequel.

This is reminding me that kids these days don't appreciate this little window in time, maybe 2001-2006, where Flash videos were the closest we got to a unique online media, before YouTube completely washed it away.

Homestar Runner, SaladFingers, Weebl, the NewGrounds scene, and henke of course were creating this scene completely new in the world. Then YT boiled it down to video & opened it all up to the public at large & they pissed it all away as usual.

Yeh its actually kinda hard to believe youtube has only been around since, what, 2004?

Administrator
    The Internet has only been relevant for the wider world since 1995 or so. In terms of human history that's nothing. The amount of change makes it seem longer.

So what's stopping more animations just being uploaded to YouTube? I've come across at least a few. Maybe the neglected element is the huge increase in Internet content consumers since 2005. The interest in video may just mean a wider audience has come in sidelining other forms of content.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah, I can see how streaming video contributed to the decline of Flash animation. If you wanted to make a movie and have a wide audience see it, online, in the early-00's, Flash animation was the only way. Streaming video offered alternatives, often easier ones. For me the decline of my animating coincided with me getting into editing gameplay videos/trailers. Of course I was no longer telling my own stories, but I found I got a similar kind of creative kick out of it, and they were much easier to produce.

It is crazy though, how big 2D animation was there, for a few years. Probably the biggest it's ever been, or ever will be, if you go by how many people were practicing it.
    Last edited by henke; 20th Jun 2016 at 11:24.

YouTube is undeniably better as a tool to get people's stuff out, and anyway there's no going back. I just find that little space of time when Flash ruled the waves interesting.

Incidently, I actually think there's more great indie stuff coming out than ever before, only that the terrain is so fragmented and in so many little corners it's hard to see. But personally that suits me fine. I don't mind digging a little to find stuff. The Unity and Itch scenes are perfect case in point, which btw I thank you for getting me into.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Cool.

Anyway, here it is, the FINAL PART of the Wicked trilogy(or quadrilogy?), Wicked Zero. I spent so much time thinking about this thing, and very little time actually making it.

That does it for my unfinished animations/games. Next week I'll start uploading the remastered versions of my finished animations.

Level 10,000 achieved

The Henke Flash Animation Comeback Tour is BACK ON THE ROAD in 2017!

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Next week I'll start uploading the remastered versions of my finished animations.
    More like NEXT YEAR, ya lazy bum.

OK, after a brief hiatus the show is back on the road! I will remaster my old animations and release them once per week, starting with my MAGNUM OPUS, Wicked Negative One.

Remastered in beautiful widescreen aspect-ratio, and with upgraded audio-quality on all the music. Due to Youtube's audio policy I had to remove a Rammstein track. To fill that void, and a few other silent parts I've added 3 new tracks (just instrumental/background music), and I've also added in some audio-ambiance and soundeffects in a few spots. I've made very few edits. Music will sync up better to the action now than it ever did in the original Flash-version. All spelling errors are intact as they are an essential part of my ARTISTIC VISION.

Enjoy.

You can also listen to the Soundtrack on Spotify.

Next week: Wicked

I chuckled at the parking scene. Otherwise I thought: Who thought that a stick figure animation (even if it's made in flash - does that even exist anymore?) could feel so dated after merely ...oh shit - has it been 20 years? Man, I thought I was uniquely primed for this, having watched Reservoir Dogs two nights ago. But Tarantino's exuberant violence + cool music stick, we used to laugh at, has lost most of its charm. Maybe because it entered our real lives (without the music though (unless you count the Bataclan I guess)), but more likely because I'm too old to not see the consequences of such irresponsible behaviour. Throwing a hand grenade from a flying car was cool though. Henke must've been pretty fly for a white guy. Ice Cube's Wicked was missing in the music credits I think. Of all the things!

Level 10,000 achieved
    It's a few days past 15 years old, and yes, likely very dated. Yet, with Flash mostly a dead medium now I'm feeling the urge to preserve my creations for posterity, while I still have the swf files and inclination to put in the work.

And Wicked is in the credits! You freaked me out there.

You know there's a bunch of immigrant kids hanging out in the park in front of my window, playing hip hop every night. Sometimes they rap themselves and it's even more cringe-worthy than the hip hop they play. "Gebrochenes Deutsch" is what I would call their band (if only this translated to English). But a few days ago I suddenly heard that endless hiiiiiiiiiigh pitched sound and some rhymes effortlessly flowing over it - and it was EazyE - and I jumped to the window and opened it up and yelled: "Yeah motherfuckers! Finally you play some music!"
    Okay, I didn't do that, but I did listen. Because I used to listen to NWA, Ice Cube, Above the law, Dr. Dre and so on, which - considering pale ectomorphic 16 year old me - must have been a sad sight. But I did it anyway, because I was young and trying to find out who I am.
    And I know there's hardly anything more disgusting than a guy who thinks he knows who he is and has settled into it - I know because I used to hate them with a vengeance - and yet it feels good to be that guy. Time to force others into their happiness.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    "Gebrochenes Deutsch" is what I would call their band (if only this translated to English).
    A quick run through yee olde Google Translator spit out "Broken German" at me. There's probably something lost during the cross over, but considering your topic, I'd say it fits, at least.

Yeah, more or less. I realize now that I created a black and white distinction there, but of course I just found out that I wasn't from a ghetto, wouldn't call any women "bitches" and while I was smoking a lot of weed at the time that wasn't enough commonality to nod my head when Ice Cube said it was a good day, because he didn't even have to use his "AK". For me it was hanging at the park and playing Risk with my friends. I switched to 60s rock soon after.
    I'm sorry for rambling over your thread, henke. That video just reminded me of a youth in the 90s, like an old mixtape.

Level 10,000 achieved
    No problem.

Though I can't relate to your point about not wanting to listen to gangsta rap because there isn't enough commonality with your own life. Surely listening to songs written by people of different walks of life is a life-enriching experience! I don't think only listening to songs you can relate to would be preferable, or even good for you, as it would only make your world-view more narrow. Nope, I'll listen to all kinds of stuff. Gangsta rap, riot grrrl punk, devoutly Christian gospel music. It's not important that I can relate to, or believe, what's being sung. What's important is that the singer believes it, that's what leads to impassioned performances and great music.